Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Saikou kun catch can thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it correct in thinking that a dual can set will only fit with mini battery and UICP or relocateing battery to trunk? I was hoping to use set up with stock battery and stock UICP. Ironically I am running a mini battery, but only in the summer months, once winter hits I am not trusting that thing to start my car each morning, so that is why I am so concerned with it fitting with stock pieces. BTW, I do run a Helix intake, but there isn't much room to allow the 2 cans. So, can someone help me out and show me how a dual can looks installled in a stock to almost stock car! Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2006, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mr. MR
Is it correct in thinking that a dual can set will only fit with mini battery and UICP or relocateing battery to trunk? I was hoping to use set up with stock battery and stock UICP. Ironically I am running a mini battery, but only in the summer months, once winter hits I am not trusting that thing to start my car each morning, so that is why I am so concerned with it fitting with stock pieces. BTW, I do run a Helix intake, but there isn't much room to allow the 2 cans. So, can someone help me out and show me how a dual can looks installled in a stock to almost stock car! Thanks
This is just one option, actually I hadn't thought about placement with a mini battery.

*If anybody can post pics of the alternate mounting locations that would be cool!
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

Revised DC3 design pic

Hi!
I just wanted to post an updated pic of the DC3 design. The fittings stick out just a little bit less, and the 2 sides are a little bit closer together now.
I decided to include 1 extra flat bracket just in case anybody needs it for their mounting ideas. The mounting brackets bolt onto 1 threaded boss to make it a little easier to assemble. This also allows you to rotate the whole thing a little bit.

Thanks for looking !

^^V
Attached Thumbnails Saikou kun catch can thread-dc3_rev_b_main1b.jpg  
Old Aug 19, 2006, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do you have any of the split cans in black available?
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Saikou, can I get one of those flat brackets that you made? I got one of the first batches so it only had the L bracket.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zstryder
Hey Saikou, can I get one of those flat brackets that you made? I got one of the first batches so it only had the L bracket.
PM me your address again to make sure I have it right.
I will send you one out shortly.

^^V
Old Aug 19, 2006, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kmcconn9
do you have any of the split cans in black available?
Still have to send all the ones I make to people on the waiting list.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Haven't had too much time off of work as of late, and was looking to see if anyone had a joined can setup on a stockish motor (mainly looking for mounting locations with a factory uicp and full-size battery)...Can someone post a picture of their location?...I am uneasy about self-tapping screws in the firewall, because I am worried about tapping into electrical lines...If anyone has found a simple mounting location (even if you had to fab up your own bracket) please post a picture...Thanks.
-Austin
Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

install example

This is probably not what you are looking for, but I did get a install pic for one of the places I have mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails Saikou kun catch can thread-dc3-2edit.jpg  
Old Aug 20, 2006, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

More better pic.

Stock uicp full size batt. No wires close to this spot inside or outside firewall.
Attached Thumbnails Saikou kun catch can thread-dc3-2.jpg  
Old Nov 23, 2006, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

so whats better to get for the Evo? The dual catch can or two single DC3s?
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Both work the same, but my preference is the dual single catch cans.
It makes it much easier to mount in smaller spaces and route shorter lines to the pcv + intake.

Originally Posted by diablo2184
so whats better to get for the Evo? The dual catch can or two single DC3s?
Old Nov 24, 2006, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

lines are shorter when the cans are mounted together?

I just didnt know where they would be mounted if the catch cans were together and not separated...
Old Nov 24, 2006, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As far as separating the oil on PVCC side, I still find it difficult to keep it from soaking up the sides and going back into the tract on a $30 budget. I basically have it reduced to oil absorbant material that I change several times/week.

I may have to exceed my $40 DIY oil catch limit and retrofit an additional PVCC check valve at the bottom where oil accumilates so that whenever system is pressurized (boost), check valve opens and pushes the oil out through 4' of thin nylon tubing pointed towards the (sorry environmentalists) tarmack.

Boost leak will be insignificant, especially considering the potential benifits of catching oil here - ever since I've stopped the oil from circulating through this spot the black stain on bumper is gone.

If I had the extra money I would just buy one of these devices like the one on the thread
Old Nov 24, 2006, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

No, the lines are shorter if the cans are separate and mounted closer to the pcv and the intake.
I mounted one behind the pcv on the firewall using a existing bolt there (no drilling). I mounted the other can under the air box area using a existing bolt on the boost solenoid bracket with minor bending of the provided bracket.

Originally Posted by diablo2184
lines are shorter when the cans are mounted together?

Quick Reply: Saikou kun catch can thread