Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anyone does OIL Change in MR by yourself? Q inside!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2006, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone does OIL Change in MR by yourself? Q inside!

Hey,

I searched the forum but I could not get a definite answer. I would like to do oil change for my 06 IX MR by myself (when it hits 3000 miles). I see from "MR accesories" package that the oil drain plug has the oil temp prob installed. Hence, it indicates about disconnecting the white line/wire prior to removing the oil drain plug.

I got under the car yesterday and saw "Oil Drain Plug"... It seems that "Oil Temp Sensor/prob" can not be detached from "Oil Drain Plug". I guess it is virtually a one unit. Now, the MR accesories manual also indicates that it has to be torqued to 25.9 to 39.x FT LBS torque. Since the socket rench won't fit with the wire attached. How do you guys torque it?

Can some one explain to me how you did the oil change? I certainly do not want to have a leak or break "Oil Temp Sensor/prob"..... What kind of tool should I get to remove and install this "Oil Drain Plug" easily....

Thanks for your help.....

Dan.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

The probe spins inside the bolt if that makes sense. Once you loosen the drain plug about a 8th of a turn the probe will free up and you should have no problems with the white wire.

Dustin
Old Aug 16, 2006, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah just loosen the drain bolt like normal and don't disconnect any wires. The probe spins around inside it
Old Aug 16, 2006, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

In order to torque it you would need a crows foot
Old Aug 16, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Hey guys, Thanks for your reply~~~~

If the prob spins, do I have to tighten it when I put Oil Drain Plug back in. Or Does it self tighten itself as I tighten the Oil Drain Plug.

Any concern over a leak from a Oil Temp Prob?

Again, Thanks for your help!!!

Dan.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

No need to tighten the probe just the oil drain bolt. Once you take the bolt off you will see exactly what we're talking about.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

sorry for jackin your thread but if i get an 06 mr plug and put it in my 04 can i just the wires the an oil temp gauge?
Old Aug 17, 2006, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

This is a very straightforward and simple oil change. (I have an MR and posted How to Change the Oil in the How To Section.)

I use Griot's Ramps, a simple open wrench, and and oil filter wrench to remove all parts....The probe will not interfere with your ability to remove the drain plug (you just need an open wrench). If you are really this uncomfortable with the process, have your mechanic do the first oil change and watch him / her ...Good Luck.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ght=oil+change

Also, the Walmart ramps are too steep for the MR anti lift kit -- get the Griots Ramps and avoid removing the plastic undertray and needing to jack the car up...Total time to change oil & filter and clean up ~30 minutes (can be faster if you dont let all the oil drip out...).

Last edited by cij911; Aug 17, 2006 at 04:38 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

rhino ramps will work for a stock ride height MR. The lower lip will touch for at first but it will not harm it.

Also, you might look at what's called a line wrench for the drain plug. They are intended for hydraulic fittings like brake lines and are a mix between an open end and a box end wrench; you can get them at sears or any other good tool source.