Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help Figuring Out a Possible Problem

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Figuring Out a Possible Problem

Alright...

I have an 05 Evo. Lately I have had a rattle, or something coming from what seems like under the car towards the front... it usually happens the worse when I am slowing down, and in the lower rpm's. Also, if I am driving.. and I have the windows up, no radio on I can hear it then too, but its not usually as bad as when im slowing down. Going over bumps while driving too sometimes cause it to happen too. I don't know what it could be, or where to begin trying to find out what it could be.. but I have some ideas...:

Clutch
Driveshaft
Somethings Loose
Transmission
Transfer Case

Im trying to figure out what it is, because its NOT going away, and seems like it COULD be getting worse.. and I don't want to run into more, bigger.. problems.

So, im asking you guys to help me troubleshoot this problem, and give me ideas on things I can do, try, etc... to figure out what this is..

Thanks guys.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 02:40 AM
Evolving Member

does it do it when parked against a wall and sound loudest when youre near the belt side/intake side of the engine?
cos I have THAT rattle but im unsure if its the same as yours

stock IX

Trav
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know about the wall, or about what side its on. All I know is what I described, I tryed the best I could to describe what I know. It's always there tho... when slowing down in low rpm's, when driving normally with the windows up, and radio turned down, and when going over bumps...

I have NO idea....HELP!
Old Sep 1, 2006, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Eveolicious
I don't know about the wall, or about what side its on. All I know is what I described, I tryed the best I could to describe what I know. It's always there tho... when slowing down in low rpm's, when driving normally with the windows up, and radio turned down, and when going over bumps...

I have NO idea....HELP!
Have you jacked up the car nad put it on jack stands to listen for it? you will probably need another person to help you in pinpoointing where the problem lies. You can turn on the car and have someone else listen for the noise.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

I have yet to do that, btu that will probably be something I will try.

Thanks.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old Sep 2, 2006, 02:33 AM
Evolving Member

someone else on here has suggested the rattle could be this:

Originally Posted by Dayton Evo
I've seen many rattle after putting a TBE on and it turned out to be the front bumper cover rattling against the bumper support.
I'm hoping to find this out on mine...

..to be honest though i can hear a bit of weirdo noise from the belt area I suspect a faulty idler pulley bearing from new or something like that. my car's had this rattle/vibration since 20kms old (as in zero thousand and only twenty kms lol)

Trav

Last edited by troe666; Sep 2, 2006 at 02:52 AM.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Does the rattle sound change with speed or RPMs?
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Does the rattle sound change with speed or RPMs?
Yes, it is usually worse when Im in the low rpm's.. like when im slowing down from say normal speed limits. However, I can hear the noise when hitting bumps, normal driving with the windows up, and radio off, and also.. I can hear it at idle sometimes at a stop light. The sound doesn't go away or get worse with the clutch in, or out...

I originally was pararnoid about it being my clutch, which I guess it still could be, but now Im begining to think its something else...?

What could it be?
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Check to see if yoour downpipe is hitting your under- brace. Mines do that when slowing down
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoHung
Check to see if yoour downpipe is hitting your under- brace. Mines do that when slowing down
I really don't think that its this, but I guess I should check it just so I can for sure eliminate it from the list of "could be's".
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Well after a while your motor mounts will get weak and cause the motor to move more, which in turn causes your engine and everything bolted to it to rock. Alot of aftermarket downpipes have clearance issues with the underbrace due to it 3 inch piping. Wouldn't hurt to check if you don't have any other ideas as to where this rattle is coming from.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Its an 05. Warrenty.
I read a tread here about the driveshaft support bearing, carrier...etc. It came loose on an evo... Had to weld some bolts in...?
I would take it to mitsu. Are the dealerships mod friendly where you live?
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DRFTKNGG
Its an 05. Warrenty.
I read a tread here about the driveshaft support bearing, carrier...etc. It came loose on an evo... Had to weld some bolts in...?
I would take it to mitsu. Are the dealerships mod friendly where you live?
I would not know about the dealerships around me. I have not gone to a mitsu dealership since I picked up my car last September. I've done everything on my own, like oil changes, etc. That would also answer your question about the dealerships being mod friendly around me.. no idea.

Would you guys rule out that it could be my clutch, tranny, t-case?
Old Sep 3, 2006, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Well, after peeking under my car (without having a jack) I think I've come to find out, my downpipe IS indeed hitting against my under brace. But like I said, I just peeked under there.. kinda hard to see under a lowered car... without a jack.

If this indeed the case, what is the best way to fix that rattle? What should I use to keep the two separated? (downpipe, and under brace)
Old Sep 3, 2006, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

I think there are aftermarket underbraces that advertise they will clear most downpipes. Like the Tanabe's and the RMR's. Go to lancer shop or any shop and look under suspension.