Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Manual boost controller on stock engine?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
im curious of this too i have a evo6 with a full tbe exhaust and custom tube manifold, a k&n pod filter and forge wastegate. other than that everything is stock in the engine bay my next plan of attack is a mbc is this an ok plan? i live in the philippines and we get 100octane at the pump but i dont want to mess with flashing the ecu right now i was thinking more on the line of the mbc helping me hold boost to redline does anyone object to this or have any advice thanks
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

So, rage mang, do you already have your MBC or not?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
Don't go and change a bunch of things all at once. Adopt an ordered approach..one mod at a time.

I am curious is your car a USDM model, or a Latin American Market version which is more akin to being a JDM Evo than the USDM Evos are?
My evo IX is a USDM model and IV JDM...

Any thoughts about my question?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

The 1st thing that both the OP and rage mang need to do is test to establish their turbo's actual level of wastegate spring pressure. This will be the baseline. Once that baseline has been established, then we can proceed to increase(preload) the level of spring pressure ideally to a level 2-3 PSI below what the desired peak boost level is going to be.

First they are going to need to have boost gauges on their respective Evos. Establishing WG actual spring pressure is easy if they already have a MBC installed on their Evo(s). If you already have a correctly installed MBC then wastegate spring pressure can be determined by simply rotating the MBC adjustment knob out completely counterclockwise to the lowest possible setting(-).

If they are still using factory ECU/BCS boost control circuit, then they will have to disconnect two hoses: 1) that goes to the WGA at the WGA nipple. AND, 2) the hose that goes to the compressor discharge nipple, at the nipple. Then they will have to run a new hose connecting both nipples directly.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by sparky
The 1st thing that both the OP and rage mang need to do is test to establish their turbo's actual level of wastegate spring pressure. This will be the baseline. Once that baseline has been established, then we can proceed to increase(preload) the level of spring pressure ideally to a level 2-3 PSI below what the desired peak boost level is going to be.

First they are going to need to have boost gauges on their respective Evos. Establishing WG actual spring pressure is easy if they already have a MBC installed on their Evo(s). If you already have a correctly installed MBC then wastegate spring pressure can be determined by simply rotating the MBC adjustment knob out completely counterclockwise to the lowest possible setting(-).

If they are still using factory ECU/BCS boost control circuit, then they will have to disconnect two hoses: 1) that goes to the WGA at the WGA nipple. AND, 2) the hose that goes to the compressor discharge nipple, at the nipple. Then they will have to run a new hose connecting both nipples directly.
What about me?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Of course, it is your thread OP, and of course, my responses and any advice I may give is aimed at solving your boost issues first and foremost. Bear with me as I understand your urgency but I am getting there although it might not seem like it.

As they say in your neck of the woods: "Paciencia piojo, que la noche es larga."

Last edited by sparky; Dec 17, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

That whole spiel of mine(see post #19 above)regarding wastegate spring pressure is for your particular benefit.

If you already have your MBC installed we can get started immediately. If you haven't as yet installed the MBC then get yourself a 24-inch length of 4mm rubber vacuum hose and connect the compressor nipple directly to the WGA nipple. Do a WOT run in 4th gear and note the peak boost reading.

Last edited by sparky; Dec 17, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 03:13 PM

I havent installed yet my MBC But I was plannning to connect it between the wastegate and the bov vaccum hose tee'ing them. And setting it to about 1.4/1.5bar on 3rd and 4th gear starting from total (-) in my Hallman Pro RX. Also I was thinking of using directly the harder spring.

What for should I see how much boost I can load conecting directly the WGA and the Turbocharger nipples?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Nope. There are 2 ports on your MBC. You have to be real sure about how you are going to hook up and route your MBC hoses.

You are either going to source your boost reference from: 1) the nipple on the turbocharger's compressor discharge tube(j-pipe), or, 2) by splicing and "T"-ing into the hose that runs between the intake manifold(IM) and the diverter valve(DV).

Either way this hose will get routed to the reference port on your MBC which is the port directly inline axially and thus diametrically opposed to the MBC's adjustment knob.

The second port on the body of your MBC I think is called the signal port(?). But, whatever it is called, the hose connected to this other port which is located on the side of your MBC's body at right angles to the adjustment knob's centerlline gets routed directly to the nipple on the top of the WGA cannister.

The alternate routing which you mention is a no-no, my friend.

Last edited by sparky; Dec 18, 2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry, Outlaw666, for refering to you as the OP of this thread, when in fact, you only revived it. My mistake!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Outlaw666
....What for should I see how much boost I can load conecting directly the WGA and the Turbocharger nipples?
Since you mentioned in your very first post that you want to improve "boost response", I was going to try and help you achieve quicker boost response.

The mere installation of an MBC device, without first increasing wastegate spring pressure is not necessarily, in and of itself, going to improve boost response in any significant measure.

An MBC will in some cases marginally improve response. But, if the actuator's spring pressure is too low then the MBC will only be controlling peak boost level without improving rate of spool substantially if at all.

Last edited by sparky; Dec 17, 2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

i have a boost gauge it peaks consistently around 1 to 1.2 bar but it definetly tapers off around 5700 to 7300rpm i dont have a boost controller yet but i would like to hold peak boost till redline and if it will improve spool up response
Old Dec 17, 2013, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rage mang
... i would like to hold peak boost till redline and if it will improve spool up response
Keep in mind that holding peak boost flat out the top without any taper and improving spool-up response are two separate issues. You can solve one independently of the other.

Spool-up response is more of an actuator related, spring pressure issue, whereas holding peak boost until redline is not neccesarilly actuator related. In fact, boost taper has more to do with flow limitations of the 16G's turbine housinsg design. limitations in the turbine inlet, bypass port, and turbine exit areas are major factors.

So basically spoolup response is impacted directly by wastegate spring pressure, whereas, boost taper is related mostly to exhaust back pressure in the turbine housing .

Shoot me a PM and I'll give you a hand.

Last edited by sparky; Dec 18, 2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 05:50 AM

I didnt know spool response and redline tapper were 2 different issues. From what I read on other threads what guys said was that conecting the MBC between the WGA and splicing and "T"-ing into the hose that runs between the intake manifold(IM) and the diverter valve(DV) improved turbo spool by 600 to 800rpms. Which didnt happen when connecting the MBC between the WGA and the Turbocharger...

Anyway I'm planning to connect my MBC as the OP of this thread did. Did u see the picture on #7? And capping all the other nipples (Turbo nipple, both solenoid nipples, intake) BTW Does it work the same as capping the solenoid nipples just bridging a hose between them?

what else should I do? Do I first should check the stock WGA spring pressure by connecting the WGA nipple directly to the Turbocharger nipple?

Thanks for sticking with me and the others and all your help bro. Please stay with us until the end of the process!!
Old Dec 18, 2013, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Outlaw666
.... on other threads what guys said was that conecting the MBC between the WGA and splicing and "T"-ing into the hose that runs between the intake manifold(IM) and the diverter valve(DV) improved turbo spool by 600 to 800rpms. Which didnt happen when connecting the MBC between the WGA and the Turbocharger...

... I'm planning to connect my MBC as the OP of this thread did. Did u see the picture on #7? And capping all the other nipples (Turbo nipple, both solenoid nipples, intake) BTW Does it work the same as capping the solenoid nipples just bridging a hose between them?...what else should I do? Do to the Turbocharger nipple?....
You can either source your MBC at the turbo's compressor discharge nipple which is where the factory does it, or you can cut the hose that runs between the diverter valve and the intake manifold and install a 3/16" brass "T".

However, there is not a 600-800 RPM difference in spool between the two sources. The IM/DV source is slightly quicker responding but it is not significant. It is just barely noticeable.

Last edited by sparky; Dec 18, 2013 at 06:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Manual boost controller on stock engine?