Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Manual boost controller on stock engine?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2006, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual boost controller on stock engine?

I apologize ahead of time because I'm sure this has been beaten to death years ago but I can't seem to find a simple straight foward answer. To get rid of the fall off of boost, you simply put on a mbc to hold 20psi throughout the rpm's. Can you do this on a stock engine without a flash? I will be picking up my IX this Saturday and wanted to make sure before I try anything. I had a WRX before this and I know you couldn't do that because the ecu would not add the proper amount of fuel. How long do I have to wait for the engine to break in before I can raise the boost? Thanks!
Old Oct 9, 2006, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
get a boost gauge first...
...have fun with the evo...mod slowly..u'll appreciate her more
Old Oct 9, 2006, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evoryder
get a boost gauge first...
...have fun with the evo...mod slowly..u'll appreciate her more
+1
Old Oct 9, 2006, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
+2 break in 600 miles or so they say?
Old Oct 9, 2006, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

id say break her in for about 1,500-2,000 miles then start modding.

i'd say at least get a catback first, then raise it to 20psi...you would be able to do this wit no problems! good luck with the evo!
Old Oct 9, 2006, 06:28 PM
Account Disabled

screw break in, my car had tbe, ebc, intake and some other things here and there the day it came home from dealer and saw over 40 passes at the track in the first 2k miles, and a year and half later its going strong as ever...
Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

i installed my hallman mbc today. this is the second mod on my IX along with the Apexi Power Intake with the aluminium induction box...

Name:  Image002.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  100.2 KB

i raised the boost to 21psi and now holding 19psi until the rev limiter! Noticable difference indeed...

I wouldn't go higher though until i get a tune and an exhaust...

And i agree with the previous statements... Mod slowly... You will enjoy it more!
Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:16 PM

Thanks guys! So I am assuming that the ecu will recognize the extra boost in the first three gears as awell as near redline and add the needed fuel?
Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

bro, the Evos run insanely rich. for 4-5psi increase the engine has no problems whatsoever... From what i ve read the limit for a stock tune IX is 21psi and thats what i did... I use 93 octane by the way...
Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kouzman, the Hallman is a great piece, but you should not have an intake as your first mod. Remove it until you get tuned, then if you absolutely MUST have that POS, then re-install it and get flashed for it.

Cecil, this is not a Subaru. Thousands upon thousands of Evos have MBCs. It's not a big deal. Just don't crank the boost up like a dummy.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kouzman
bro, the Evos run insanely rich. for 4-5psi increase the engine has no problems whatsoever... From what i ve read the limit for a stock tune IX is 21psi and thats what i did... I use 93 octane by the way...

plenty damage can happen from a mbc...
...you're a blindly messing with system parameters...you're "ASSUMING" ...u own an a Evo ... "KNOW" ...don't assume.
We know they run rich...but people tend to push the envelope... " just another psi wont her" BANG!!! ...

then you see this post:
"car doesn't drive...what you think is wrong?"
Old Oct 10, 2006, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Kouzman, the Hallman is a great piece, but you should not have an intake as your first mod. Remove it until you get tuned, then if you absolutely MUST have that POS, then re-install it and get flashed for it.

Cecil, this is not a Subaru. Thousands upon thousands of Evos have MBCs. It's not a big deal. Just don't crank the boost up like a dummy.

flash is coming very soon (matter of days) as well as the TXS RFL Ti catback...
Old Oct 10, 2006, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
plenty damage can happen from a mbc...
...you're a blindly messing with system parameters...you're "ASSUMING" ...u own an a Evo ... "KNOW" ...don't assume.
We know they run rich...but people tend to push the envelope... " just another psi wont her" BANG!!! ...

then you see this post:
"car doesn't drive...what you think is wrong?"

personally just to be sure, i adjusted the mbc to get 19 psi to the redline, i only use 93, plus Torco Fuel concentrate since i installed the mbc and i will get the car tuned VERY soon... And to tell you the truth since the mbc install i ve only floored the car only once, the day i was adjusting the mbc...

Its logical that if you overdo it you will damage the car...
Old Dec 17, 2013, 08:05 AM

Hi guys, this is my first reply and I know this thread is from a long looong time ago but I've read a lot about the MBC and this seems to be the best thread to place my question without starting another thread.

So I bought an Evo IX about 3 months ago and just recently got my Hallman RX MBC. Im planning to set it up thru the bov and wastegate and to about 21/22psi. I have an electronic boost gauge but my only mods are a Silicone Intake Induction Pipe Hose, Air filter, Cat back 3" with a HKS Super Drager Exhaust and silicone vaccuum hoses.

I haven't got a wideband yet and here in my country I havent found shops to make an ECU Flash

So I just bought the MBC to keep it basically around stock boost, reduce tappering and improve the boost response. But off course I want to stay in the safe side. With these mods and the boost I'm trying to achieve do you think I would be safe?

Thanks in advance

P.S. I also have a Turbosmart Dual Port BOV which I used to have installed on an Evo 4. But I havent installed it on this new car because I've read the stock evo 9 bov its more than capable for about 25psis besides it also used to make my evo 4 run a bit rich and some times stall, as it is only recirculated at low rpms. Is it in any way a good idea to install it?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlaw666
....I bought an Evo IX....and just recently got my Hallman MBC. Im planning to set it up thru the bov and wastegate and to about 21/22psi. I have an electronic boost gauge but my only mods are a...Cat back 3" exhaust.... I havent found shops to make an ECU Flash.. I ...bought the MBC to.....reduce tap(p)ering and improve boost response.....

I have a Turbosmart BOV....I havent installed it...because I have stock evo 9 bovi....(the Turbosmart) used to make my evo 4 run rich and... stall...... Is it a good idea to install it?
Don't go and change a bunch of things all at once. Adopt an ordered approach..one mod at a time.

I am curious is your car a USDM model, or a Latin American Market version which is more akin to being a JDM Evo than the USDM Evos are?

Quick Reply: Manual boost controller on stock engine?