Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GSC Releases our New S1 Cams for the Evo 9 Dyno inside!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2006, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like there will some first run mivec cams for sale in the "for-sale" section soon......

How do these cams idle compared to stock?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kee1pride
so what exactly are the s3 cams? what would you recomend for an evo8/50trim/meth setup?
That is S2 material. S3 is for Standalone cars with Large turbos' ported heads excetra race cars. The S2 is very very similar to the 280's. the only difference in them is a new intake ramp rate and peak lift. the exhaust cam is untouched. the reason we are changing the intake is to give a little more on the bottom end.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by travman

Just like stock ! No idle problems what so ever !
Old Dec 8, 2006, 01:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by travman
very close to stock.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Am I reading the graphs correctly -- you are seeing 40+ ft lbs of tq increase and ~60 hp increase at peak? What is the TQ and HP increase across the power band? Are the AFRs the same in the pre and post graphs?

These improvements look amazing if I am reading correctly....You have a HUGE opportunity on your hands ....CONGRATS!

Last edited by cij911; Dec 8, 2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

have u tested any s3's
Old Dec 8, 2006, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GregGSC
That is S2 material. S3 is for Standalone cars with Large turbos' ported heads excetra race cars. The S2 is very very similar to the 280's. the only difference in them is a new intake ramp rate and peak lift. the exhaust cam is untouched. the reason we are changing the intake is to give a little more on the bottom end.
recognizing this, do you have any suggestions for those who already have your 280/280's on a 50 trim? I mean, if you have a new grind that makes a better power curve, is there anything we can do with adjustable cam gears to compensate for the older version? Advance the intake cam a degree or two? Or is it all in the ramp rates and duration? My cams are less than a month old and out of date.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 01:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
recognizing this, do you have any suggestions for those who already have your 280/280's on a 50 trim? I mean, if you have a new grind that makes a better power curve, is there anything we can do with adjustable cam gears to compensate for the older version? Advance the intake cam a degree or two? Or is it all in the ramp rates and duration? My cams are less than a month old and out of date.
yes go to +2 on the intake cam should help on the bottom end. ramp rates were not changed on the evo 8 280s they are practically the same as the S2's
Old Dec 8, 2006, 01:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cij911
Am I reading the graphs correctly -- you are seeing 40+ ft lbs of tq increase and ~60 hp increase at peak? What is the TQ and HP increase across the power band? Are the AFRs the same in the pre and post graphs?

These improvements look amazing if I am reading correctly....You have a HUGE opportunity on your hands ....CONGRATS!
the AF's were about a point different between the stock cam, TBE and the one with the S1 Cams. They were less than .3 different between the 280-272 to the S1. and boost was lower by 1psi on the S1 vs the 280-272. the Timing on both were stock and thats why its such a wavy graph.

to be honast there is even more in them as unbelivable as it is. with timing fine tuning the mivec i would bet another 10whp can be found in this car. Scary and unbelivable but true.

The reason i posted the Stock cam, stock tune TBE car vs adding a set of S1 cams and a mild tune, is to show that with a mild tune, and a set of cams your looking at somewhere in the 53whp 46wht as far as gains on the stock turbo.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Get the F out of here......that is crazy #'s. I owe you one for the harness help, so, hurry up with the s2's.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pricing isnt goimg to change $599

no it wont be a problem at all. the S2's are designed for more peak power and a slower spooling turbo. the S1's if used with an aftermarket turbo just wont get the same peak numbers that the S2's will, but will still perform wounderfully.

so what im understanding S1 is gonna be the better daily driving cam... little bit smoother little more refined..

the s2 is more of drag type cams... just raw meant to make power than thats all

s3's are out of my league so im not gonna bother...

i'm a stock turbo IX with meth... should i go with the S2 since theyre gonna make a bit more power.. i dont mind the harsh ride... or are the S1 made specifically for the stock turbo and are going to be the best under every circumstance.

cheers!
Old Dec 8, 2006, 02:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
so what im understanding S1 is gonna be the better daily driving cam... little bit smoother little more refined..

the s2 is more of drag type cams... just raw meant to make power than thats all

s3's are out of my league so im not gonna bother...

i'm a stock turbo IX with meth... should i go with the S2 since theyre gonna make a bit more power.. i dont mind the harsh ride... or are the S1 made specifically for the stock turbo and are going to be the best under every circumstance.

cheers!
S1's are for the stock turbo. you're going to make the most power under the curve whether you're running 26psi or 20 on the stock turbo.

S2's are not more of a drag type cam, Drivability of them will be the same, our cams are designed with area under the curve in mind. always have, always will. they are just suited for those running larger turbo's, 30R's 50 trims, 35R's.

S3's are for race cars, whether drag race or road race.

Last edited by GregGSC; Dec 8, 2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Those results are great. Iam glad i havent ordered any cams yet but i dont think i can wait anymore with those kind of #S. What kind of gains can be expected on a IX with Meth. ?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

I'm really confused - are these the same cams that came out for the IX last month or something different? I ask because the dyno numbers look like the same graphs that were posted before, which is why I said "No new info?"
Old Dec 8, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

the AF's were about a point different between the stock cam, TBE and the one with the S1 Cams. ...
The reason i posted the Stock cam, stock tune TBE car vs adding a set of S1 cams and a mild tune, is to show that with a mild tune, and a set of cams your looking at somewhere in the 53whp 46wht as far as gains on the stock turbo.
So the S1 graphs were at ~1pt richer AFR? Why would that happen out of curiousity? I definitely will be ordering these soon for my IX ...Thanks Greg!

Quick Reply: GSC Releases our New S1 Cams for the Evo 9 Dyno inside!