Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO Green/20g-LT airflow numbers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice review and good results. similar tests on pump gas would be much appreciated...
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Thank you, thank you a ton. Thanks for buying the turbo, thanks for posting the results and mostly thanks for showing the stuff Robert and I have both been saying for months is all truthful.

Did I say thank?

Thats definitely a well deserved thanks. KJewer just took care of 15 pages of *****ing for test results.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 03:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
125-128mph traps and great spool to boot would be hard to beat.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bosshog
nice review and good results. similar tests on pump gas would be much appreciated...
I did the back to back pump tests at 21 psi. I definitely can't repeat the 30 psi test on pump. What is it that you would like to see?

It moved 43-44 lbs/min with no issues at 21.x psi. Same settings I was previously running at 38 lbs/min. I am planning to see if I can get to about 45-46 lbs/min on pump gas with the tailpipe silencer removed. On the 2g with a 20g I was able to run 25 psi daily on pump, with 47 lbs/min. I feel like this turbo is too close to being maxed out to do this, but the 20g also maxed out at 48 lbs, so I don't see why not. I think that silencer makes me more likely to knock, and I need to do some testing without it.

Another interesting note about the silencer. With it in, I was getting just under 38 lbs/min. With it out when I ran the 12.3 at 110, just over 40 lbs. Boost peak was the same, but taper was slightly less without it in. This turbo at the same peak boost WITH the silencer in still moved more air at 43 lbs and tapered less than the stock turbo. You know, I think I'll pull the silencer today and do the 21 psi pump gas test over...

Edit> I meant to mention in the beginning that this is all airflow data, and some speed change timing. Obviously I would prefer track results, or even dyno numbers in a pinch, but that will have to wait until spring or until I get motivated to head south.

Last edited by kjewer1; Dec 9, 2006 at 06:33 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the results, keep us posted.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

are these results with the upgraded 18psi wastegate actuator, $65 option?
Old Dec 9, 2006, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, I always run the strongest WG spring I can get away with.

Took off the silencer and did some more tests, but pump gas only. I'll do the race gas/max boost tests later. Probably next week. The silencer was definitely hurting the numbers! Below is what you guys with normal exhausts can expect to see. I really hate MA...

Removed the silencer and took some more logs. I really have to do something about this crap, the car pulls significant'y harder without it. I've logged the highest airflow and the shortest 60-80 times I've seen yet. This has to be an 11 second pump gas car now. Time to make plans to travel south in search of an open track. ;o) This is the best this car has ever felt, by far.

The chart below shows a before and after comparison with the only change being the silencer. Same as above, airflow, boost, and airflow/rev, with the no silencer test giving the highest numbers. Note that I now get the boost hump that PD1 reported. Boost still hit a set point of 21.x psi, humped up to 24 psi, and tapered back to 21 psi. Airflow peaked at 45.5 lbs/min! No knock either with normal timing and AFR in the low 11s. Logged a 1.7 second 60-80 mph time as well.

Chart.

DSMlink screen capture.

Edit> Just tossed up another chart comparing the stock turbo at 21 psi vs the Green/LT at 21 psi with no silencer.

Chart.

Last edited by kjewer1; Dec 9, 2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 02:59 PM
Account Disabled

nice review, btw what size shot did you run to get the 122 trap and was that on stock turbo? jw because I trapped the same thing on stock turbo + nitrous...
Old Dec 9, 2006, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

this is a great turbo for the lag weary individuals (much like myself). Waiting till 5k rpm is too much for some of us, and this is a great alternative!

Very informative post, we could definitely use more like this on evom!
Old Dec 9, 2006, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Edit previous post with new comparison chart.

I trapped the 122 on the stock turbo and a 75 shot. For some reason my car never trapped as well as others with the same mods, peaking at 115 mph, and best ET of 12.0 with a single plate clutch that wouldn't shift worth ****.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

what are your mods? Obviously the AEM and an exhaust....did I miss those in a previous post?
Old Dec 9, 2006, 03:29 PM
Account Disabled

hmm thats so similar to mine, my car traps high 115s on 50% meth and always 12.0s although I use like a 50 shot to get the 122 traps...
Old Dec 9, 2006, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

I think there's an Error in the 3rd chart you posted. In the first chart 21psi with no silencer nets you 45lbsmin.

But then in the 3rd chart 21psi with no silencer nets you around 43.5lbs/min
Old Dec 9, 2006, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

This post has defiantely cleared things up for me and I am even more interested in buying it and see what it can do. Thanks alot
Old Dec 9, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CanadianTSi
I think there's an Error in the 3rd chart you posted. In the first chart 21psi with no silencer nets you 45lbsmin.

But then in the 3rd chart 21psi with no silencer nets you around 43.5lbs/min
Crap, I think you're right. I had so many spread sheets open I must have grabbed the wrong data set. I'll have to redo it later.

I've been trying to avoid making the gay "how the car feels" posts, but I have to say something about this. I finally got a little time tonight to just drive the car without having to log, tune, watch the gauges, etc, on some familiar roads. Went to get some dinner with a friend. Had him in the car, plus 3 5 gallon gas jugs in the trunk, 2 of them with several gallons of race gas in them. There is one turn that is a quick 90 but it's slightly radius and banked. I hit it almost every day at around 40 mph right at the limit of adhesion on the stock Advans. Tonight I took that turn, and laid into it coming out of the turn as usual, and the car went completely sideways with all 4 tires spinning steering the opposite direction. The tires spun again for a few feet going into third since the Exedy twin is still relatively new. Absolutely insane. I'm pretty stoked about this.

Now, I have to consider the possibility, and therefore pass on to you guys, that whatever was holding this toilet back for the last two seasons was "accidentally" fixed by swapping out the turbo. This is a huge gain in performance, and I'm not sure I'm comfortable attributing all of it to the turbo upgrade itself. You guys will have to take that for whatever it's worth, this being an unbiased test of this turbo, until I get some track times. If I still have trouble getting what I should out of this car, then the gains are real and everyone can expect to duplicate them. If I suddenly run what I should with this setup, then there was something wrong with my stock turbo.

I may get on a dyno next week to try to shed some light on what is going on here... I could never break 300 whp on this particular mustang dyno when I was trapping 113-115. Even with a 30 shot it did only 325. I'm curious beyond belief to see what it will do both on pump and with a race gas tune now.

Quick Reply: EVO Green/20g-LT airflow numbers