Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO Green/20g-LT airflow numbers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kjew what are your support mods with this turbo?
Old Jan 28, 2007, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of my mods should be listed on my website, linky.

After running EBCs for so long, an MBC seems retarded. It works fine, it's just a pain in the *** to set/change boost levels. I also had an issue with it on the dyno where it locked into one setting and would adjust no matter what I did with the knob. Spring hung up or something. I've run the old skool Profec B, the newer Profec B type S or whatever it is, and the HKS EVC, all with good results.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kjewer1
As far as my missing power goes, everything that I can think of has been checked and checked again. I can't see how this can be a mechanical problem. I've also been considering the fact that the 2g was always lower on power than it should have been for it's given state of tune, and the one thing common to both these cars is this ECU. I know it's not the 2g ECU/DSMlink conversion in general causing a problem, since James is running the same setup, with nearly identical settings, with a nearly identical mod list, and he went 11.57 at 119 on the stock turbo. In order to eliminate as many variables as possible, I think the next logical step may actually be to make the 1500 mile round trip out to Buschur's and toss the AEM back in, to tune it on a different ECU entirely, with a known good tuner, on a well known dyno (especially for this particular turbo). In other words, this could eliminate the local dyno which could read even lower than most, my tuning which could suck, and my 2g ECU which could finally be tired of living. If we don't find normal power levels, I'll come back dead tired with a lighter wallet, but perhaps a little better direction on where to go next. Which of course is a perfectly acceptable outcome.

Well, just got back from BR last night. Drove out overnight wednesday into thursday, spent thursday afternoon at the shop, and drove back all day friday. Long drive, but worth it. The trip served the purpose I hoped it would when I mentioned the idea in the above quote. Time for some post-trip rambling...

We started with the pump gas pulls, running 25 psi dropping off to 20-21. The car seemed to get stuck in the 33x whp range, similar to what happened on the 2g ECU at the local dyno (333). Dave suggested removing the MAS. The car picked up ~5 whp, but more importantly, it started responding to more tuning. Pump gas pulls ended up at 353 whp. Within striking distance of the ~370 whp other well performing 20gLT cars have done there. For reference the car got stuck at 349 whp on race gas on the 2g ECU.

Next I swapped in the race gas. It was a mix of stuff I have left over from the previous season. About half Sunoco 117, and half unleaded 100 or 104. Boost was set to 31-32 psi, but it still tapered to 23 or so, less than the 26 it had previously held on the street. The result was 390 whp. Again, not too far off of the 41x other well running cars have done on that dyno.

To summarize the dyno numbers, the swap back to the AEM and removal of the MAS, with Dave's tuning, was worth 20 whp on pump gas, and 40 on race gas. Gains with all of that plus the stock turbo to 20gLT swap, the gains were 60-65 whp on pump gas, and 85 whp on race gas. This is not meant to be a stock turbo to 20gLT comparison, so please don't post anything stupid the ECU being changed, etc.

So it seems the car is ok, but I will be trying a few different parts to try to close the gap a bit before I reinstall the nitrous. Why my car didn't like the 2g ECU when James' car obviously has no problem with it, I don't know. Perhaps my concerns about my particular ECU mentioned in the above quote were for good reason. I had also tried the AEM on the stock turbo, but with only a month or two to learn the system, I had never beat my DSMlink times. The AFR and timing numbers Dave tuned for were not unlike what I had run, but the difference is in all the behind the scenes AEM magic. This is where Dave's expertise and experience are worth every penny, and 24 hours worth of driving. Thanks again to Dave and the Buschur crew for the help.

[benchracing] Track opens in 6-7 weeks, we'll see how it does. Based on what I was dynoing when I trapped 122 on the nitrous, I should now be trapping 124-125 without it. Hopefully ~2 mph more after I make a couple of small changes. With a dual pump setup to provide enough fuel, it should be a real good time on the nitrous. [/benchracing]

So it would seem that this turbo will provide exactly what I was looking for. Excellent spool on the street, and 130+ quarter mile performance with the nitrous.

Pump gas
Race gas

Last edited by kjewer1; Feb 10, 2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Makes me want to take a ride to Ohio.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Good numbers kevin, I have to check for boost leaks and do race gas tune.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 05:34 PM

Kevin Jewer for president! Congratulations man, now all you and I need is some warm f@#king weather.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 05:42 PM
Account Disabled

any hit the 1/4 mile yet other than David...