Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best clutch for 500+ AWHP and high rpm shifting?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best clutch for 500+ AWHP and high rpm shifting?

I was wondering what would be the best clutch to buy that'll hold 500+ AWHP and be good for 8000-9000 rpm shifts w/o grinding or locking out?
Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:53 PM
Former Sponsor

A Exedy Hd twin disc. It shifts great and will hold the power. Tilton clutches are also great.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it doesnt really matter what the awhp numbers are, it all depends on how much torque you're putting to the flywheel. If you can get the torque #'s your putting down then you can look at the specific holding/clamp load of all the pressure plates offered by every company.

Just curious on what type of setup your looking for?? ie - single disc, twin disc, etc.... Whats your budget like??? Is the car a dd or just a weekend racer???

imo, if this is your dd going w/ a twin disc (exedy or tilton-rebuildable) is probably your best route if you have the $$$; if your car is mainly a weekend track car and you dont mind the harsh engagements/chatter going w/ a heavy clamping pressure plate like ACT w/ puck style race disc would be probably also be more than enough. It all comes down to what your goals are for the car

sorry this was so long, hope it helped
Old Dec 11, 2006, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I dont know if anyone else has noticed but the tilton clutches should be avoided like the plague. There are like six people on this board that killed them in less than a few months. There is a car next door that killed one in one month. And tilton is giving him em a hard time saying its installation error. I inspected the clutch myself and it was installed correctly. They havent got the metallurgy on the spline correct and they are stripping out. Sometimes the splines on the tranny get fubar too. Real nitemare, so beware.

This does not apply to there carbon carbon clutch. they are the cats meow.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being that Clutchmasters is a partner of mine, I would recommend either there FX400 package or the FX600 which is very similar to the Exedy twin.

I've done countless clutch installs and have seen the majority of people using either Exedy or Clutchmasters.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Tilton Tripple Carbon and call it a day !
Old Dec 12, 2006, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

i am getting the exedy triple ceramic in the next month and i'll be sure to let everyone know how it is.............
Old Dec 12, 2006, 06:10 AM

Exedy Twin HD
Old Dec 12, 2006, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rez90
i am getting the exedy triple ceramic in the next month and i'll be sure to let everyone know how it is.............
I thought it sucked your white ***

There is a local selling his exedy triple for $1600 if I recall.

Would an exedy twin hd be able to handle 500-500wtq?
Old Dec 12, 2006, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thatguy

wow, good memory. That was the original exedy twin. And yes, it did.

but at this point i am out of options and i am going to try an exedy again. I've heard nothing but good things about this clutch.

i am pretty sure an exedy twin HD will be able to hold 500 ft/lbs or torque.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

My stock clutch is taking a crap on me and did some searching on exedy twins and your thread came up.

I hope the exedy twin hd I get will be the last clutch I will ever need.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I dont know if anyone else has noticed but the tilton clutches should be avoided like the plague. There are like six people on this board that killed them in less than a few months. There is a car next door that killed one in one month. And tilton is giving him em a hard time saying its installation error. I inspected the clutch myself and it was installed correctly. They havent got the metallurgy on the spline correct and they are stripping out. Sometimes the splines on the tranny get fubar too. Real nitemare, so beware.
I have never heard of any failures of Tilton clutches. Who has had issues? I need some more info as all my research led me to buy a Tilton Twin Cerametallic to handle the launching my car will do in autox's.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 08:21 AM
Yme
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thatguy

I m pretty sure the twin hd will be able to hande more than 500 wtq. Probably will hold around 600 if i m not mistaken
Old Dec 12, 2006, 08:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe

This does not apply to there carbon carbon clutch. they are the cats meow.
Wow thats wierd. We have had nothing but great results with the Tiltons. Not only with evo's too.

Quick Reply: Best clutch for 500+ AWHP and high rpm shifting?