Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO9 JDM rear bumper, the exhaust solution.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
EVO9 JDM rear bumper, the exhaust solution.

Hi guys,

I keep seeing pictures of guys buying the JDM EVO9 rear bumper, I bought one too and have it on my 9 second daily driven EVO8. I love the looks of it. My problem is the exhaust I keep seeing just aren't meant to be in that rear bumper cover. Most of the pictures I see the exhausts that are being used just flat out look like crap, my opinion of course.

So, with that said, here is a picture of the rear of my car. I can build this as a catback or turbo back for anyone that orders an exhaust from us. I can do it in the angled non rolled tip as pictured, straight cut or angled and rolled like our tips are normally. For me, this is the best.

I have my muffler where the cat use to be. If you don't use our full turbo back I'd have to put the muffler in the rear and that, I feel, takes away from this super clean look.

Hope you all like the look as much as I do. It is nearly impossible to see the exhaust from the rear of the car.

Thanks for reading.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Didn't realize how dirty my car is
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I just be able to cut the regular catback a little to make it fit with my new WW JDM Bumper dave?
Old Dec 14, 2006, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

yep, that's about the only thing keeping me from getting the JDM 9 rear. i think it might look sketchy with my BR magnflow setup. i might have to find someone to buy my catback so i can go this route. looks great.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

looks good I usually dont like angle cut exhausts but it suits the JDM IX bumper very well
Old Dec 15, 2006, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys. I really like the looks of the system. I can do the tip in other ways as I said. To me this is the cleanest look, you can barely tell there's a tip there and nothing hangs out in the rear with the short JDM cover. I love it. I hate that JDM rear when there is some big *** can hanging back there and the tip is sticking way out.

You could cut our current catback for the JDM rear but it will never look as clean as my set up does because you are going to see the muffler.

As a side note, I am having some special Bullet Mufflers made for us right now. The application is to install them where the cat goes, they are longer than our current muffler and are designed to take up the entire catalytic area. I am doing it to drop the noise level substantially. I will be installing it on my RS as soon as they come in.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Thats sweet, would love to hear a sound clip if this is dropping sound levels.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Dave,
looks great, makes me want this bumper even more now.

its hard to tell from the pic and the angle, but how far out does the tip sit from the furthest point of the bumper?
Old Dec 15, 2006, 04:19 PM
Account Disabled

looks good...
Old Dec 15, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

that looks awesome, makes me want to run out and get a JDM rear.

why can't you do something like that for the VIII?
Old Dec 15, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

I was planning on purchasing your TBE with the bullet-style muffler. I always paint my exhausts black after coating them any way.

Is this system totally different from what you are running now? Would you recommend the route you've taken over the system I was going to purchase using the JDM bumper?
Old Dec 15, 2006, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

I'd only recommend this for the JDM bumper, that's why we did it. Every system I saw, I personally thought sucked with that bumper. There was just too much of the exhaust system exposed.

I can do this same style for the EVO8.

The system is the same as all of our systems. Difference is the muffler is in the middle of the car instead of the rear.

Thanks for the compliments.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Is there any harm in simply cutting off the muffler of an exhasut, then cutting out a section and then welding the muffler back on? Thats what I have done to previous cars I have owned but that doesn't seem to be a very plausible solution from what I have read.

By any means, I'm not trying to demote the sale of the Buschur exhasut, I am currently debating as to whether or not I want one myself, or the AMS exhasut, but to go to the extent of selling the exhasut you have to get one that is slightly altered to accomodate the JDM rear, seems absurd to me. Is making an exhaust fit the JDM rear bumper more involved than I think?
Old Dec 15, 2006, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

I changed the bends and such in the rear and moved the muffler so it sat exactly where I wanted it. For a fabricator, such as myself, it is not a hard job.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

That looks so clean, I think it is time to order this evo9 bumper now.

That solution will only apply to if you are using the Bullet Muffler, correct?

Also, as a side note, little off topic, I have the Bullet Muffler on my test pipe, it makes the whole exhaust system very quite. If you are looking to make your system quiter, thats the way to go.

Memo

Quick Reply: EVO9 JDM rear bumper, the exhaust solution.