Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Proper break-in for EXEDY HD TWIN clutch? Need input on procedures/methods

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know a the difference in break-in procedures between cerametallic and organic discs?

Because as joeymia stated the method is different
Old Jan 3, 2007, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tilton engineer told me that for my clutch just a few miles to make sure the stuff worked. Then I could basically let it rip... Call exedy and ask.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

^^^^ thats interesting
you are a brave man my friend
Old Jan 23, 2007, 08:39 AM
Account Disabled

clutches just need to go through a few heat cycles. What do you guys think race cars that have manual trannies do? They barely put a few miles on them. 500 miles is an extremely safe number thats why people use it. And you can get on the car as much as you want but just use some common sense, like if your running 30 psi on a 35R, dont put the car in 5th gear at 40 mph and floor it and build a ton of boost and creat a huge amount of load ya know? I wouldnt sweat it man, throw it in, drive around for a few hundred miles and enjoy it
Old Jan 23, 2007, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i remember mattgold stating that the break in procedure was 1000 city miles....high way mileage does not count....i think it was equivelent to 100 engagments from a stop.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

I broke my twin disk in at the drag strip. Had about 50 miles on it. I estimate at least 200+ drag launches on it before it slipped on me.

Last edited by Stinkapuss; Jan 23, 2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 08:43 PM

Here's what ACTman recommended to me for my 6 puck clutch...

"With a puck type clutch, it is important to lap the surfaces in to make complete contact before getting real aggressive with it (like drag racing). That doesn't mean you have to baby it. If you have a race car and can't afford to put hundreds of miles on your built motor, you can accomplish this is very little time as long as you are careful not to get the clutch too hot in the process. Basically you just need to slip the clutch a couple seconds in third of forth gear a few times, making sure to let it cool between slips. We don't recommend this with a street clutch, but with a race clutch it is fine.

As long as you are not really flogging on the clutch by slipping it during a launch, then you should be fine"
Old Jan 23, 2007, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man, in my 528whp civic, i put a 6-puck unsprung ACT HD in it and just beat the snot out of it from the get go, no break-in. it lasted until the ceramitallic pads were almost gone and even then it would still grip unless i used slicks. i didn't think you had to break in ceramitallic discs hardly any, just a few starts and shifts. guess i was wrong?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

The Exedy manual states 250km of city driving. That says to me no clutch drops, no WOT pulls, no clutch drops, no banging of the gears, no clutch drops.....oh and did I mention no clutch drops? LOL...just go easy on it, do some city driving for a few days and you'll be golden.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

so how did your break-in go? i just ordered this clutch 2 days ago should be installed in a week or so. any advice on break-in?
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Break in went good, it was a pain havin to take city streets everywhere but i can definately feel a difference. I adjusted the pedal once (after the inital adjustment at install) and am going to check the motor mounts to make sure they are still nice and in tight.

Took a day to get used to the engagement point along with a bit more pedal pressure. There is not much noise form the clutch, i expected it to be worse; the only noise is between shifts where i hear the discs moving. The first day i had the clutch in i had a little problem with the RPMs dipping, and the engine feeling like it was shaking or about to stall out (when at idle not in gear). BUT that went away after a day or two, as another member mentioned it would.

The clutch feels great, the break-in went great and i did 750 miles just to be sure. Again the only hassle was looking like a newbee for a day or two getting used to the new clutch along with the time it took to get to places far away taking city streets. Instead of takin highway 43 to 94 to hwy100, i would have to take port 15 miles to north, go through the ghetto, take north all the way to mayfair, take mayfair to hwy 100. But it was worth the extra time!
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

nice that makes me feel good. so it bites hard? i used to have a spec stage 3+ in my audi and i stalled it the first time i drove it becuase the clutch was so different i think ill experience that again in the evo.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

for advice: stay off boost, the most i went was 10psi, and 15psi after 500 miles.

Be sure to do a LOT of city driving, the way to break it in is engagement AND disengagement, so you cant just hop on the freeway and go for 750miles. Highway miles arent even supposed to count in the break in miles.
Also, dont do any WOT, and do not launch the car, or slip the clutch extensively.

Lastly, do not stomp on it at 45mph in 5th gear, puts a lot of load on the clutch.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

ya i just plan to drive in lots of neighborhoods around my school for a few hours just stop and go. so ill get lots of engagements and disengagements with out tons of miles.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

I just bought a twin disc also, going to put it in on Saturday. I have a ACT 2600 in my DSM and that was fun to break in. My buddy and I installed it one night after work and finished around 8:00. Then it was break in time. Drove around the neighborhood and hopped on the highway. Went through gears and verified all is well, then break in. I had DSMlink so..... 5K RPM, anti-lag on, and lauched the car on 15 psi, boosting to 22 psi. That ***** held stong and it lasted a hard 25K miles. Of course that clutch was a forth of the price of the twin, so the twin will get the real break in treatment. I will be puttering around town for a few miles now.

Quick Reply: Proper break-in for EXEDY HD TWIN clutch? Need input on procedures/methods