Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by KZEVO
not determined at all. i hope it's the valve cover. As i said earlier, it was the dealer who told me they saw the leak at the HG. I hope it's the oil leak from the valve cover that's made it to the head part causing them to think that. Will take the car in next week and have them look at the valve cover. In the meantime, i'm going to clean it up and see if I see the leak at the valve cover over the weekend.
When you haul your car into the dealer and the service manager glances under the hood for a diagnosis what you are getting is an educated guess. It is the owner who has time to note the symptoms and observe what is going on. So, yeah, clean things up and search for the source of the leak.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:38 PM
PPI
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they won't cover the work I would def. do a compresstion test before I started pulling the head.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1.) Do a compression test. If your numbers test low, try adding a few drops of oil in the cylinder, if the numbers go up significantly, this means your rings are blown.
2.) Purchase some UV oil dye to locate exactly where the oil is leaking from
3.) While cranking the engine over during the compression test, look for signs of bubbling in the coolant resevoir tank (which would indicate exhaust gases are getting into the coolant system).
4.) Dump your coolant in a bucket, and dump your oil in a seperate bucket. Look and test for mixing of the two (they make chemical testers for this purpose).

It should be noted that if your engine is leaking ANY oil, (especially from the headgasket) that it is a problem. You may be able to drive the car fine, but an oil leak is not something to take lightly, and it SHOULD NOT BE IGNORED.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Dec 29, 2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have your problem, but it is pretty mild. My engine's getting torn apart anyway, so I really don't care so much. However, I was curious if you smell burning oil when you boost. Anything above 5 PSI for me is quite smelly.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ultimate CC
I have arp head studs and my evo leaks some oil from HG but its been like that for nearly 15k of high boost with no issues...if I were to do it again I would have never installed the arp head studs...
x2 i have a few friends that leak also on the back of the block is the most common place..... (this is installing arp's one by one method)
Old Dec 30, 2006, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

i'm not sure how it was installed, but is there anything else to do other than getting the headstuds re-torqued and a new headgasket. I don't think it's a major problem as i've checked over the past couple days and the oil levels haven't dropped (but the back of the block is soaked though). I don't smell any burning oil either or haven't noticed any issues with the car either.

What should the APR bolts be torqued at. I'm dropping the car off next tuesday and will have them do a compression check and a cylinder leak down test before they open the block.

thanks again for all the help.

Originally Posted by silverofs
x2 i have a few friends that leak also on the back of the block is the most common place..... (this is installing arp's one by one method)
Old Dec 30, 2006, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

the head u mean.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

yep

Originally Posted by bluebyu36
the head u mean.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

good luck i had to change my head gasket to.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 08:12 PM
Account Disabled

alright i kind of have the save prob, i thought my oil was leaking from the oil cooler line to the oil filter the back of the engine was completly damp with oil. my cam seal is leaking the air coming into the engine bay is whats taking the oil to the back of the motor i would very much look there
Old Dec 31, 2006, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

apologize for the stupid question, but where is the cam seal? thanks

Originally Posted by skoarpio
alright i kind of have the save prob, i thought my oil was leaking from the oil cooler line to the oil filter the back of the engine was completly damp with oil. my cam seal is leaking the air coming into the engine bay is whats taking the oil to the back of the motor i would very much look there
Old Dec 31, 2006, 06:52 AM
Account Disabled

best way to get a good look was the idea of that special dyed oil didnt even know they had that or take off the valve cover and look at that takes 30 mins to remove and reinstall at most. if it is your cams leaking then you will see oil deposit on your oil filter area
Old Dec 31, 2006, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

i'm running speed density with AEM EMS so i don't see any oil on the open filter. will look into everything that people have suggested.
thanks again for all the suggestions!

Originally Posted by skoarpio
best way to get a good look was the idea of that special dyed oil didnt even know they had that or take off the valve cover and look at that takes 30 mins to remove and reinstall at most. if it is your cams leaking then you will see oil deposit on your oil filter area

Quick Reply: blown head gasket