Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Quality High Flow Cat, And JDM Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2007, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MR. Birdie
I would just get a high flow cat and gut the inside out. Now you got flow as a test pipe.
Why would you do that to an expensive hi flo cat, when you can buy a much cheaper cat simulator testpipe that would flow better?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich EVO MR SE
Does anyone here know where I can get a HIGH quality stainless High Flow Cat for my 06' IX MR. I'm also looking for the JDM rear bumper with the black diffuser (sick looking). I want both things asap. I would love to hear suggestions on which High Flow Cat is best (Preferably Japanese) sound wise, flow, and performance. I have a Blitz TBE, Stock CAT, and a Fujitsubo RM01A Cat Back, to let you know for fitment. Again my car is the '06 EVO IX MR.
You sure you have a Blitz turbo back AND a Fujitsubo RM01A cat-back?

Test pipe makes more power, is louder but is NOT ROAD LEGAL and you will not pass inspection.

High-Flow cat is slightly quieter, will make a little less power and there is still a gamble when going to get your inspection sticker.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 01:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by BigEd925
You mean somthing like this?? Road Race Engineering "rally cat"
I can't find that on their website. How much?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Why would you do that to an expensive hi flo cat, when you can buy a much cheaper cat simulator testpipe that would flow better?
Yeah you actaully can buy a test pipe and it be cheaper. I'm just saying if you want to avoid cops because they can impound your car for not having a cat period. So with my burschur system it came with a high flow cat, I just gutted it out to have it flow like a test pipe and still look like i have a cat underneath my car.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would love to hear suggestions on which High Flow Cat is best (Preferably Japanese) sound wise, flow, and performance.
Stay far, far away from ceramic core cats. They just don't last in turbo applications. And most don't flow very well. I bought a "high-flow race cat" from Buschur...and got a P.O.S. Catco ceramic core cat

Anyway, I recently got the P.O.S. replaced by a proper metal-core cat. Mine was from Vibrant Performance. Significantly better flow (578 CFM), and should last considerably longer.

Emre
Old Jan 23, 2007, 02:15 PM
Account Disabled

What GPTourer was trying to say was that you never had to buy an expensive high-flow-cat than gut it. His point was you could have bought a much cheaper test pipe that "looked like" a cat, like the before mentioned Rally Cat. Get it MR. Birdie? What you did was just wasteful.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Vigo
What GPTourer was trying to say was that you never had to buy an expensive high-flow-cat than gut it. His point was you could have bought a much cheaper test pipe that "looked like" a cat like the before mentioned Rally Cat. Get it MR. Birdie? What you did was just wasteful.
Exactly, thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 02:17 PM
Account Disabled

No problem.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

I bought this beauty Apexi catalyst couldn't be happier
Old Jan 23, 2007, 02:23 PM
Account Disabled

How much was it and how much power did you gain over the stock cat?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

I bought it used. for $400.

Before I installed it I was running a RnR hiflow cat . I noticed a great gain top end.(not sure how much whp)

the numbers on my signature were with the RnR cat

Last edited by ROGERV; Jan 23, 2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thank's 4 all the quick info, what about the power difference between a Test Pipe ( Invidia ) vs. High Flo CAT ( Undecided Brand ).
If you get a proper metal-core race cat, you will NOT see a significant drop in power. We're talking about less than 5hp. I've run both a test pipe (on the track) and a proper metal-core race cat (on the street). There was no significant difference on the dyno.

Is the power difference of a Test Pipe worth the noise and is it a dramatic performance difference vs. a High Flo CAT ?
In my book, the answer is "no way." With a test pipe, you're generally looking at <5hp of extra power. The cost is: (a) you smell like unburnt fuel; (b) your rear end gets ugly "nicotine stains" from the unburnt fuel; (c) your car is loud as hell...and attracts the attention of every cop in a 10 mile radius; (d) you risk a massive $15,000 EPA fine if you get caught without a cat. Is all that worth it for <5hp? Not in my book.

You want to swap in a test pipe for a trackday? Fine. We all like to be loud and shoot flames when we downshift
But I wouldn't drive the car without a cat on the street. It's just not worth it.

I'm having a tough time making the decision, I need input. I wanna know from both sides ( People with Test Pipes, and People with High Flo Cat's ) Advantages/Disadvantages/Gains.
Like I said, I've run a test pipe, the P.O.S. ceramic-core Catco that Buschur sold me, and a proper metal-core race cat. With the ceramic-core cat, there was a noticeable loss of power. And the cat died after 2 seasons of mixed street & track use. Stay away from the cheap ceramic-core cats most vendors will try to sell you. Our engines run hot and most of us run a bit rich. That combination kills junky ceramic-core cats in no time.

Between the test pipe and the Vibrant 3" metal-core cat, I've seen no noticeable performance difference. But the Vibrant cat makes my car quieter, cleaner, and less smelly. Best of all, I don't have to worry about EPA fines. For me, it's a no-brainer.

Emre
Old Jan 23, 2007, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Highest flowing JDM cat I've read about was a Auto Produce Boss 80MM cat.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Pictures

Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails Best Quality High Flow Cat, And JDM Rear Bumper-picture-002.jpg   Best Quality High Flow Cat, And JDM Rear Bumper-picture-003.jpg   Best Quality High Flow Cat, And JDM Rear Bumper-picture-004.jpg   Best Quality High Flow Cat, And JDM Rear Bumper-picture-005.jpg   Best Quality High Flow Cat, And JDM Rear Bumper-picture-006.jpg  

Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sap12687
You sure you have a Blitz turbo back AND a Fujitsubo RM01A cat-back?
Yeah from the turbo I have a Blitz Turbo Back Pipe + Stock CAT + Fujitsubo RM01A, in that order, and yes I'm sure.
I was also under the impression that with a Test Pipe you Lose Torque and Gain Horsepower Vs. With a High Flo CAT you Gain Torque and Still Gain Horsepower but not as much Horsepower as a Test Pipe. This is another reason why I'm undecided. Anybody have pics of the JDM rear bumper with the Fujitsubo RM01A?

Quick Reply: Best Quality High Flow Cat, And JDM Rear Bumper