Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

5th gear vibration

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2007, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5th gear vibration

I've got an '03 with 63k miles on it, still stock everything in the drivetrain. Yes, still on the original clutch and have had 0 problems so far. Now, right at about 60k miles (oddly enough right after the 60k service...) I get this vibration in 5th gear. It only happens from about 2100-3k RPMs. Here is another thread describing it, but I didn't get a response over there: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=113895

So what happens is I'll shift into 5th around 50 or so, and I'll get that vibration. In addition to his description, I'd say it's more like a wwwwwuuuuuummmmmm.....wwwwwuuuuuuummmmmmm and you can feel it in the steering wheel really well. It doesn't do it in any other gear but 5th. It's the worst when decelerating from like above 65, and when I coast down into that range (2100 is where it's the worst), it'll happen.

Anyone else come across this? My car's never been launched or raced or anything. The irony of it is that I'm mostly doing highway driving for my commute so I spend 90% of the time in 5th gear just cruising. I just don't know what could've made this happen all of the sudden.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the check engine light come on? I used to have problems with a P0300 random misfire code. When it happened (5th gear) the car would pull timing and stumble. Felt like I was hitting rumble strips.

Transmission resonance was giving a false reading to either the knock sensor or the cam angle sensor, thinking it was a misfire, the car pulled back timing until it would stumble. PM your email address and I can send a copy of the Technical Service Bulletin from Mitusbishi. Transmission was replaced by Mitsubishi to fix the problem (after multiple dealer reflashes).

No check engine light, this probably is not your problem.

What did the shop use as fluids for your 60K service, could be the wrong tranny, t-case, or diff fluid. I would go back and ask, maybe request that they change fluids again (Mitsu diaqueen in t-case & rear diff).

Good luck.

Last edited by I C Blue; Feb 1, 2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Nope, haven't gotten a CEL from it. It just started out of the blue, no real indication or anything. And it definitely doesn't stumble or lose power or anything with the engine really. But "resonance" is a good word for it.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:19 AM

I would ask the shop what fluids they used.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by oak2207
I've got an '03 with 63k miles on it, still stock everything in the drivetrain. Yes, still on the original clutch and have had 0 problems so far. Now, right at about 60k miles (oddly enough right after the 60k service...) I get this vibration in 5th gear. It only happens from about 2100-3k RPMs. Here is another thread describing it, but I didn't get a response over there: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=113895

So what happens is I'll shift into 5th around 50 or so, and I'll get that vibration. In addition to his description, I'd say it's more like a wwwwwuuuuuummmmmm.....wwwwwuuuuuuummmmmmm and you can feel it in the steering wheel really well. It doesn't do it in any other gear but 5th. It's the worst when decelerating from like above 65, and when I coast down into that range (2100 is where it's the worst), it'll happen.

Anyone else come across this? My car's never been launched or raced or anything. The irony of it is that I'm mostly doing highway driving for my commute so I spend 90% of the time in 5th gear just cruising. I just don't know what could've made this happen all of the sudden.

Dude I have this exact problem as well. It only happens in 5th gear. The vibration is rhythmic just like you mentioned when in 5th going 55-69 mph. If you search, there is a post by Suckface, whom had his input shaft and 5th gear replaced...a path i'm about to follow. It only happens in th gear which leads me to believe this is the exact problem suckface had. Trust me you are not alone.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

I'm at over 80k now, problem is still kinda there but doesn't really seem to be hurting anything. I'm well past the warranty so I won't be getting anything replaced unless it falls off the car. Good news is, still on the stock clutch! woohoo
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

when i try to brake between like 60-80mph my car does the same thing sometimes
Old Jan 14, 2008, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I get the vibration in 5th that is mentioned in earlier posts and it doesn't happen when I brake. If it only happens when you brake I think the problem is with the brakes - probably a warped rotor or brake material transferred to the rotor.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by oak2207
I'm at over 80k now, problem is still kinda there but doesn't really seem to be hurting anything. I'm well past the warranty so I won't be getting anything replaced unless it falls off the car. Good news is, still on the stock clutch! woohoo
Yeah I'm at 87k and after doing research I'll be sending my transmission to Shep for a rebuild soon. Turns out my fifth gear needs to be replaced. From what I've read this is a harmonics issue and with success has been either reduced or fixed with a rebuild. I've had a couple shops listen to the harmonics on the lift and all have said it's the tranny. It just made more sense when I linked the rhythmic womp womp with the p0300. Mad props on the stock clutch by the way. I dumped mine 20k ago.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 09:32 AM

I have the same problem as well, my noise and vibration comes only in 5th gear under deceleration. I read about Evo owners getting their Trannys rebuilt and replacing Transfer cases but that is not in my budget. Furthermore, why I should I spend thousands of dollars for these repairs when I don't even launch it, drag race, dump clutches etc...I take care of my car and do services on schedule. So what is the root of the problem, and what specific parts are failing? And does a warranty have any significance?
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by anthonypazsd
I have the same problem as well, my noise and vibration comes only in 5th gear under deceleration. I read about Evo owners getting their Trannys rebuilt and replacing Transfer cases but that is not in my budget. Furthermore, why I should I spend thousands of dollars for these repairs when I don't even launch it, drag race, dump clutches etc...I take care of my car and do services on schedule. So what is the root of the problem, and what specific parts are failing? And does a warranty have any significance?
Well it wasn the p0300 that was bothering me. It was the drivability, which ultimately led to the [po300 misfire studder hesitation. AS of this morning, my car, in 5h gear is not bearable or driveable. It just misfires and studders. I'll let off the gas and it will do it again. When I spoke with Shep, they mentioned that 5th gr and input shaft develop play after time, which cause the vibration. I'm at 87k.

I never launched, and I don't race. 5th gear just got worn out...along with the input shaft. Those two pieces would be the minimal requirement for the fix it seems like.