Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch install complete w/ reviews

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2007, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clutch install complete w/ reviews and Pics!

First I would like to thank a few people

#1 EvoM for having a great website.
#2 Hi-Tuned Performance (DSM shop in St. Louis)
#3 Steve at NoLimit for the great price on the clutch.
#4 HONDAFAN...When I did my searching his answers were clear and accurate.

Parts installed:
-ACT Heavy Duty Street clutch kit – Part# MB7-HDSS
The kit inlclutes the clutch alignment tool, throw-out bearing, and pressure plate.
-ACT XACT Prolite Flywheel – Part# 600210

Fluids installed:
Transmission – 2 Quarts of Redline MT-90 and 1 Quart Redline MTL
Transfercase – 2 Quarts Mitsubishi Diaqueen LSD Gear Oil SAE 90
Rear Diff - ¾ Quart Mitsubishi Diaqueen LSD Gear Oil SAE 90

I was going to do a complete write up on the clutch install, but the shop started on the car early. When I walked in they were just about to pull the tranny. This was the first Evo clutch they have done, so they took their time with the car. They also used ALLDATA (I think) for all the TQ Specs and any other info they needed. They also DID NOT remove the ACD line. One guy (Ken) had some lankey arms and broke the tranny bolt loose buy the ACD line. The shop had good tools and equipment...probably enough Snap-On tools to buy a new Evo! They said the install really wasnt that bad. They had to get on EvoM to find the slide hammer method to get the axels out. I recommend Hi-Tuned Perfomance in St. Louis to any Evo owner. Special thaks to Ken, Aaron and the Owner Matt. HTP is a great shop and I got the guinea pig price on the install $350!!!! They just wanted to get the Evo under thier belt so they hooked me up. Also the shop was loaded with DMS with large FMICs so the Evo was right at home

ACT Prolite rumors: I heard that with the ACT Prolite Flywheel people have had idle problems and/or a Check engine light. I have had nothing of the sort. The car is driving like stock ( I have not beat on it yet). Also, when you are at a dead stop you really dont have to give the car any extra revs or gas to get the car moving. This this thing is 100% Streetable and easy to drive, even with it being 4 pounds lighter than stock (stock is 14 pounds). I left the boost line connected directly to the gate, Im running about 13 psi till I get the clutch broke in.

ACT MB7-HDSS: Feels great and grabbs good. Pedal pressue feels about stock.

Fluids, fluids, fluids....man I did alot of searching on this subject.
#1 Tranny > First of all when I first got the car I missed 2nd gear about 6 times (get a short throw and bushings!). The Plug on the tranny had some metal shavings (about a Tea Spoon full or a little more). The combo of Redline fluids seems to have good results. Shifting feels smooth...a little better than stock. The tranny definatly shifts better when its cold. I did about 5 Hours of reading before making the decision on the Redline oils.

#2 Transfercase > Only 2 products (from what I have read) meet the requirements for the Evo’s transfercace. Mitsubishi Diaqueen LSD Gear Oil SAE 90 and Royal Purple Max-Gear straigt 90 weight. I could not find the Royal Purple stuff, I found Max-Gear 75-90, but im not sure if that will work or not. Bottom line...put Diaqueen in the Transfercase and have the piece of mind that your Transfercase will have a nice life!

#3 Rear Diff > Again, Diaqueen LSD Gear Oil SAE 90. The Mitsubishi factory uses this for a reason!

Fluids conclusion: Use Diaqueen in the Transfercase and rear diff to save yourself headaches, I read horror storys on this board about people trashing their transfercase in 500 miles beacuse someone told them to use somthing other than Diaqueen. As far as the tranny goes...the Readline seems to be working well. I might go with something else if I find evidence to do so.

I will add pics of the roasted stock clutch later. Other info will be updated as the clutchs gets broken in.

Roasted pics!

Look at all that clutch dust!

Dual action Break Clean!

Disk

Plate

Flywheel.... look at the freakin heat that I put in this thing! Glad I got a new one.

Last edited by Turbo Kyle; Mar 9, 2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Nice. How much did the clutch kit and flywheel run you? I'm also looking to replace my clutch.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

can you feel a difference in shifting with the two quarts of mt 90 and one of mtl
Old Mar 8, 2007, 09:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Nice review. Glad to see your local shop was able to get the job done!

The ACT Prolight flywheel would have a similar resistance to CEL and the such because the lighter weight of the flywheel and the noise caused from a heavier sprung clutch. This noise is typitcally picked up by the knock sensor or will come up as a P0304. The faulty is the resistance in the stock sensor that needs to have looser tolerance for knock or misfire.

Doe Hi-tune have a website? I have not heard of them before. I have been to St. Louis a few times too.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 09:30 AM
Account Disabled

nice write up...
Old Mar 8, 2007, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

PM Steve@Nolimit. I try not say what I paid for an Item. It can cause problems for Vendors. However....Steve will hook you up if your on EvoM. Someone Whored the flywheel out of Ebay for 250$ shipped...this is about dealer cost. So, I got lucky.

Originally Posted by occultworks
Nice. How much did the clutch kit and flywheel run you? I'm also looking to replace my clutch.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turbo8
can you feel a difference in shifting with the two quarts of mt 90 and one of mtl
Yes for sure, espically when the tranny is cold. It does shift smoother for sure.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

luck you enjoy it
Old Mar 8, 2007, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Hi-Tuned is kinda low key. They just got into this new shop 4 months ago. They have a website being constructed.

Originally Posted by Joe's_EVO8
Nice review. Glad to see your local shop was able to get the job done!

The ACT Prolight flywheel would have a similar resistance to CEL and the such because the lighter weight of the flywheel and the noise caused from a heavier sprung clutch. This noise is typitcally picked up by the knock sensor or will come up as a P0304. The faulty is the resistance in the stock sensor that needs to have looser tolerance for knock or misfire.

Doe Hi-tune have a website? I have not heard of them before. I have been to St. Louis a few times too.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

nice
Old Mar 8, 2007, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for taking the time to do a write-up. I'm looking into getting the same clutch soon... Keep us updated
Old Mar 8, 2007, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

yea i'm changing my clutch too to the same one... i'm just trying to find the right shop to do ym clutch in or around NYC
Old Mar 8, 2007, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

it nolonger nothcy when its cold i am goin to have to try this to see how it works
Old Mar 8, 2007, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Updated w/ pics
Old Mar 8, 2007, 09:06 PM
Former Sponsor

looks like you rode that thing hard!