Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mobil 1 15-50

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2007, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking about switching to Mobil 1 15W-50 also. Walmart has the 5 quart containers for under $23. I switch my oil filter and oil every 3000 miles. I have been running Mobil 1 10W-30 in my car for the past 21,000 miles. No track events, just street use. I think with the hotter weather here in Arizona, compared to NY, I should switch oil weight.

I asked the dealership out here in AZ, and they said they only use Mobil 1 10W-30.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 09:29 AM
Account Disabled

A little off topic but I had a question.....I just read a DIY on oil change for the Evo of course. I've done several on my RSX but a noob to the EVo. I noticed in the guide, this guy bought a new "Crush Washer" or something like that for the drain plug. Is this necessary in order to prevent leaks?
Old Apr 2, 2007, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Import Junky
A little off topic but I had a question.....I just read a DIY on oil change for the Evo of course. I've done several on my RSX but a noob to the EVo. I noticed in the guide, this guy bought a new "Crush Washer" or something like that for the drain plug. Is this necessary in order to prevent leaks?
Definately not necessary. Just remember not to overtighten the drain plug and you'll be all set.

I was using the crush washer that came with the car for 27k miles (i change oil every 3k miles). It never leaked a drop of oil with the old crush washer. I finally decided to order 4 crush washers with my last set of oil filters. 4 crush washers should last me until 100k miles.

back on topic. I like my 10w-30 i dont burn any oil. I would think 15w-50 would be too thick on cold starts.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 09:36 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by DanJ
Definately not necessary. Just remember not to overtighten the drain plug and you'll be all set.

I was using the crush washer that came with the car for 27k miles (i change oil every 3k miles). It never leaked a drop of oil with the old crush washer. I finally decided to order 4 crush washers with my last set of oil filters. 4 crush washers should last me until 100k miles.

back on topic. I like my 10w-30 i dont burn any oil. I would think 15w-50 would be too thick on cold starts.
I do appeciate the help, you said you ordered filters so I guess I might get the OEM filter or a Mobil 1 filter.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 09:43 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Import Junky
a crush washer is good insurance that you will not strip the drain plug when you try to take it off the next time. for a few cents, I would put a new one in.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 09:49 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by sblvro
a crush washer is good insurance that you will not strip the drain plug when you try to take it off the next time. for a few cents, I would put a new one in.
thanks for the info....I was just asking because I wanted to change my oil today but the Mitsu dealer is a decent ride away....just being lazy I guess. I'll call them first to make sure they have some before I waste the gas.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
There is a 0W-20 that will protect better than the Mobile 15W-50.

http://www.brownbucket.com/buckets/jbrown/SF1.pdf

http://www.brownbucket.com/buckets/jbrown/SF2.pdf
Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
what about filter is the Mobil 1 filter as good as the OEM or should I stay away?
Old Apr 2, 2007, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use all Motul fluids except for oil (I use organic). I am considering a switch to Motul oil as well, it performed well in my VW/Audi applications...

Anyone else use Motul?
Old Apr 2, 2007, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DonHugo
what about filter is the Mobil 1 filter as good as the OEM or should I stay away?
Stick to the OEM Mitsu Oil filter is has ben recommended/proven over and over again. I personally ran the Mobil 1 filter on my turbo 240sx before and all it did was just take more money out of my pocket. If I were to go with a filter besides the OEM one I would look into Wix filters..those are the best.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

I like to stick to OEM filters myself and at the price I think they are the best. Speak to bill at walpole mitsubishi and he will be able to get you a great deal at oem parts.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 03:25 PM

sMOGGY...Try it out and do an oil analysis. Then tell us the results compared to what you were using previously. This would be great information.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

great oil for daily driving on hard conditions
Old Apr 2, 2007, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
After I typed in my response above I went ahead and e-mailed Scott at AliSyn. Below in my e-mail and his reply, just so those know I'm not BSing about great this oil is.

Hey Scott,

I know the answer, but does the <<0W protect as well as say a Mobile 1,15W-50 in race conditions? Would I need to change the <<0W after a track day? Thanks

We'd love for you to change it every time you start the Motor but that wouldn't be honest or necessary.
Any of our products will withstand extreme conditions as long or longer than any commercially available product. We have had the oil tested after use at the indy 500 with no degradation (breakdown)to the lubricants.
So, you know the answer.
But we still have the old stigma I ran it hard the oil must be no good.
we have racers change their oil after every race and we have racers drain the oil at the end of the season. You choose.

Scott
Old Apr 15, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SWOLN
There is a 0W-20 that will protect better than the Mobile 15W-50.

http://www.brownbucket.com/buckets/jbrown/SF1.pdf

http://www.brownbucket.com/buckets/jbrown/SF2.pdf

Where is the 0W-20 ?

The first link is to 15W-40 (Diesel oil)

and a quick look at the second appears to be gear lube and 2-Cycle oils.

I am also going to question their test methods when I see a rating of 15.7 TBN on Mobil Delvac 1 and 6.4 on Mobil 1 5W-30.

Something doesn't add up. From what I know, the Delvac, although a great oil, is blowing the lid off of the scale and the Mobil 1 is reading low. From what I remember, Mobil 1 has a 9.1 TBN and Delvac was around 11. There are over 3000 points between each full number on that scale.

I could be wrong, and will be calling a friend of mine that is Tribologist in the morning.

Doc

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 15-50