Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

evo recaro seat problem

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2003, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by silvrevo
I havnt noticed the seat fabric, but the carpet sucks assss!!!!

Goto vacum that and the whole thing lifts up... but im not *****ing about that, it just isnt glued down at all. I do like the floor mats being velcroed down , that is really nifty, no wondering floor mat under the pedals.
Since when do they glue carpet down? I've never seen carpet glued down in my life and I've used to work in a delaership.
It's only form-fitted and held in place around the perimeters.
If they glued it, how would you work on the car?
Old Jun 11, 2003, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My evo also has it
Old Jun 11, 2003, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am experiencing the same on my front seats... the blue fabric center parts are "loose" rather than tight and attached to the cushion under it. Do let us know what the dealer tells you, I don't particularly like it either.

Pablo.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by timzcat

Since when do they glue carpet down? I've never seen carpet glued down in my life and I've used to work in a delaership.
It's only form-fitted and held in place around the perimeters.
If they glued it, how would you work on the car?
Im proud to say that Im not a carpet expert, but a touch of glue here,, a dab of glue there more than likely would hold this junky carpet down when your vacuming out your car. I can hold the hose on the carpet and lift and pull it up a good 4 inches.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

When I installed a carpet set into my old Mini last year, I used some contact cement....That should work a treat for the Evo's carpets if the slight movement bothers you.

fyi....seat upholstery isn't glued into place by any manufacturer that I am aware of. It's sewn then stretched over the squabs and frame.

SC~
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by silvrevo

Im proud to say that Im not a carpet expert, but a touch of glue here,, a dab of glue there more than likely would hold this junky carpet down when your vacuming out your car. I can hold the hose on the carpet and lift and pull it up a good 4 inches.
Apparently your not an expert at vacuuming carpet either.
Who vacuums like that?
Old Jun 11, 2003, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

This "problem" with the Recaros is not a problem. The way the seat is constructed the Recaros have a base foam construction which makes up the bottom, lower bolsters, upper seat and side shoulder bolsters.

This base foam seat foundation is then covered with two seperate seat covers, comprised of the lower and upper seat cover pieces. The center sections of both the upper and lower seats covers are made of the blue textured cloth which is really cloth with a dense foam backing.

These seat covers are not glued to the base seat structure, but are instead pulled tight using d-rings or some sort of clamping method. The lower seats don't exhibit the "play" between the blue cloth and the seat base as readily as the back because the seat cover is pulled tight in the front and the rear of the seats. The uppers, particulary the top part, is a concave shape which make this space between the blue cloth more noticeable.

I have 4200 mi on my car and have this condition on both of my seat backs. Interestingly, I can count the number of times I have had a passenger in my front seat on two hands. Both seats exhibit the exact same play.

If the cloth was actually seperating from the foam then yes I would be concerned. I don't think this is what people are talking about though.

JNR
Old Jun 11, 2003, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by timzcat

Apparently your not an expert at vacuuming carpet either.
Who vacuums like that?
Thats simple......I "LOVE" my carpet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im just not a strong speller.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 06:52 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Have not noticed it before but I will next time I get in the car thank you very much.

Guess I need to be more selective about which threads I open.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Considering the attempted weight savings on the car, they probably did not use a heavy rubber backing which normally helps weigh it down.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Funny, I just noticed this today for the first time since buying my car in March and it's on both front seats. Then what do I see? A thread describing it exactly today. I'm glad to know it's fairly common.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 03:27 AM

Is there a fix for the seperation of the seat.

Does anyone have pictures of the Recaro seat problem.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 12:58 AM

i am sorry for hanging u guys in there, i have not yet gone to the dealer yet, was busy with final and stuff..but i will definitely take it to dealer and see what they have to say, and also i look underneath the car, there are two plastic screws missing that holds the bottom plastic cover to the bumper.... i dont own a digital camera yet, but my birthday is coming soon hehe..should make some requests.. so can somebody who has the same problem take some pics and post it on here? that would probably help others to understand the problem.. thanx alot...will keep u guys updated.

Braniff
Old Jun 13, 2003, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

How is the service for most of you at the dealership?

Quick Reply: evo recaro seat problem