Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Aluminized heat barrier wrap

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2007, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aluminized heat barrier wrap

I put a special aluminized wrap on the first section of my intercooler hard pipe. It is very near the downpipe, so I think it is a good idead to protect from heat. I'm sure that it improved the engine response.

Is there another person who did the same thing?
Old Apr 14, 2007, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
we have a $hit load of that stuff at work...we use it to as a secondary wrap to cover up exhaust wrap. For aircraft motors it works great and protects the near by composites. IMO it has many good uses..not only can it trap in heat..but also keep heat out.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would only put that on one side( downpipe side) only. air temp inside that pipe from turbo will be nearly 200~300 F. air outside will cool the pipe rather than heat up the pipe when you go forward.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taenaive
I would only put that on one side( downpipe side) only. air temp inside that pipe from turbo will be nearly 200~300 F. air outside will cool the pipe rather than heat up the pipe when you go forward.

^Agreed. I think pre-intercooler you'd just be insulating hotter air. May be beneficial post-intercooler but you just don't see this in setups. I'd think if there were perceptible benefits it would be more common considering the cheap cost and ease of install...
Old Apr 14, 2007, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My pre-intercooler pipe can not be cooled by air because there is not any air entrance.
I did not know that the air in the pre-intercooler is sooo hot, but how many degrees does the downpipe add to the intercooler pipe?