Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Front Motor Mount vs. All Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2007, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Motor Mount vs. All Motor Mounts

What is the functional difference between doing all of the motor mounts vs. just doing the front motor mount?

I am trying to eliminate some of the stutter and wheel hop I have been getting with my twin disc clutch. Alot of people advocate motor mounts, but some suggest just getting the front mount, and some suggest all four.

For the record, I am currently looking at the powerflex set.
Old May 6, 2007, 09:08 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Just start with the front one, and if that doesn't help do the rear one as well. IMHO doing all of them is only necessary when the stock ones are all worn out or you will be making a TON of power & you have the motor out anyways for a build.
Old May 6, 2007, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

What about an engine dampener???? That what im planning to use. you can stiffin it up for the strip then turn it down so you car dosnt' vibrate the whole time driving home
Later
DJ
Old May 6, 2007, 10:19 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Redlimit835
What about an engine dampener???? That what im planning to use. you can stiffin it up for the strip then turn it down so you car dosnt' vibrate the whole time driving home
Later
DJ
An engine Damper is a really good suggestion. I just got done with a customer car that had one, and it was noticably different than a car with factory engine mounts. Depending on how much dampening it is set for, it feels darn near stock, or quite stiff (vibrations in the cabin stiff....). Shifting smoothness is greatly improved as well.
Old May 6, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

i too had a lot of shudder when taking off from a stop after i installed my twin disk. i then replaced my front mount with a power flex mount. it helped but i ended up replacing the 3 other ones shortly after and it shifts great now. the vibrations are definitely noticeable but i dont mind it

but the one that is going to make the biggest difference is the rear mount. but in turn it is the one that gives out the most vibrations! i have also seen a couple of people replace the front and the two side mounts with little to no vibrations with good results.....
Old May 6, 2007, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

I have never understood the arguement for engine dampers.

Adding an engine damper/dampener is essentially like adding a 5th vibration absorbing motor mount.

The issue with motor movement has nothing to do with the fact that there are too few existing motor mounts on the car already, so the cure is NOT to add a 5th mount.

The issue is that the existing 4 motor mounts are not stiff enough, so the cure is obviously to just stiffen them up.

The front and rear mounts take the majority of abuse. The problem, however, is that the rear mount is difficult to access to replace.

If just replacing the front alone doesn't provide enough of any improvement for you, the next logical and easy step would be to do the sides, since they are easy to access and also provide a noticeable benefit.

If you then decide that you want to do the rear as well, you can, however, due to the difficulty in accessing it, this is most easily accomlished when the tranny is already removed, ie: for replacing the clutch or something else.

That's my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.
Old May 6, 2007, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

i have a front mount. no issues. happy with the mod
Old May 6, 2007, 02:12 PM

I'm still learning about the parts of my EVO (only had it for a month). I know that an SRT-4 is WAY different in its MM's. There's 2 on the right side (top and bottom) and one on the left (tranny side). Why it's set up like that. Not a clue. I do agree with Mike though. It's not so much that there's only 4 to begin with, but just making them stiffer is the big thing. I started with AGP dogbones at first. They were good till the bushings that were in them rattled themselves out (doh) and mind you they only were the two right side mounts. I then picked up a set of ummmm..... damn, I don't remember it's been over a year, and the car is still in OK. But they were billet mounts and all three of them. Not hating on AGP, but the quality of the newer mounts were better quality. Once installed.... sexy. Vibration yes. But when it comes down to it. That just let's the car talk to me a little more. When I spun a rod bearing.... even though I couldn't hear the knock starting.. I could feel it. That made a world of difference to me. Alright, enough yapping.

Justus
Old May 6, 2007, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

dont waste your money on a engine damper. start with the front lower mm. after that move on to both side mm