Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is a catch can really necessary for the EVO?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2007, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is a catch can really necessary for the EVO?

I have been running a Greddy catch can in my EVO for a long time and everytime I check it the can is dry. Now I'm wondering if the car really needs it or should I just take it off and sell it?

it sure looks nice underneath the hood but if its not serving any purpose I'd rather just take it out.

Let me know your thoughts people
Old May 19, 2007, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it does, period.

I have a dual catch can setup from Saiku Michi. The Crankcase vent side that connects to the Intake Pipe rarely collects anything...so far nothing at all to tell u the truth after 3 months installed.

HOWEVER,

The PCV side that connects to the Intake Manifold collects oil weekly. At least a "Coke cork" full of oil.

So one could imagine if you dont keep the catch can how much oil ends up in the intake manifold lowering the octance of the fuel and causing knock.
Old May 19, 2007, 09:24 AM
Account Disabled

yup nothing for me on the vent side (right side of motor) 9,000 miles on evo 9.
Old May 19, 2007, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Phenix_fyah
Yes it does, period.

I have a dual catch can setup from Saiku Michi. The Crankcase vent side that connects to the Intake Pipe rarely collects anything...so far nothing at all to tell u the truth after 3 months installed.

HOWEVER,

The PCV side that connects to the Intake Manifold collects oil weekly. At least a "Coke cork" full of oil.

So one could imagine if you dont keep the catch can how much oil ends up in the intake manifold lowering the octance of the fuel and causing knock.
So maybe I should re-route the lines?? can you post a pic of your set-up?
Old May 19, 2007, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

I dont have a pic handy right now, but if u look at the back of ur crankcase ull see the pcv....the hose runs down to a fitting that goes to the manifold. Just route ur catch can to those 2 lines.
Old May 19, 2007, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

I dont have a pic handy right now, but if u look at the back of ur crankcase ull see the pcv....the hose runs down to a fitting that goes to the manifold. Just route ur catch can to those 2 lines.
Ok sounds easy enough, now the only problem now is getting the big Greddy catch can to fit....
Old May 19, 2007, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

I bought 2 of the cans and just sold them....they are way to big. Check out the Saiku Michi Dc3
Old May 19, 2007, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

I bought 2 of the cans and just sold them....they are way to big. Check out the Saiku Michi Dc3

links??
Old May 19, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.saikoumichi.com/DC3_page.htm
Old May 19, 2007, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Yes it does, period.

HOWEVER,

Same thing here!!! Only catch can That I have used that actually "catches" the oil. Most of the oil blow-by is in the vapors.
Old May 19, 2007, 04:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive never had any even though i always said i was gonna get one but i had my srt for 3 years and no catch can with no problems and in my evo now either
Old May 19, 2007, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

I bought on off ebay for $40, I installed it under the intake, using one of the BCS
bolts. I routed mine off the pcv, put a breather filter on the air intake side of the pcv and a plug on the air intake. Every time I change the oil, I empty the can, which has atleast a coke cap or 2 in it.
Old May 23, 2007, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

What sized hose barbs are you using? That DC3 dual-catch has two options, 5/16 or 3/8..curious which will be better for the Evo.
Old May 23, 2007, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by saev
What sized hose barbs are you using? That DC3 dual-catch has two options, 5/16 or 3/8..curious which will be better for the Evo.
5/16 for the Evo, the Saiku Michi can is the only one that works due to it forcing the vapors to pass through a baffle that condenses the fumes. I'm rocking the single can on my PCV valve side and venting the intake side w/ a filter.
Old May 23, 2007, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

so which do you think works better? the single or the dual setup?

Quick Reply: Is a catch can really necessary for the EVO?