Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS Carbon Ti cat-back INSTALLED!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2003, 11:21 AM
max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Coolguy949
Pricing is complicated because it was a custom. Basically I bought the HKS muffler for around 300, the work at RMR was 430 for turbonawd's (250 for mid section + 3 hours in labor) and 370 for me (mid section + 2 hours labor since it was easier the 2nd time around) . We split the labor so that I would absorb some of the R&D time taken on the first exhaust. Basically it was about 400 for the work at RMR + the muffler. So, depending on what you can get the muffler for you're looking at 675 - 750 for the job. If anyone is interested in the muffler talk to me. I've noticed most of you responding are local so that would really help you guys out on shipping (~$25 normally).

The sounds is good, sounds very mean and deep. I really like it. With the windows down it rumbles even more. With the windows up it's not much louder than stock. If I drive with the windows down for a while I sometimes get a little ringing in my ears. I'm sure I have to get use)d to it. Whoever wants to meet up with me or Robert (turbonawd) feel free to message me. We have a meet on the first sunday of July so I'm planning on showing it off there I guess. As you can tell, i'm very excited.

RMR is really a great place to have work done. Top notch is the least that can be said of how they work. They really put a lot of care in everything they do there. I was there for over 6 hours waiting because mine was 2nd in line so I was able to see how they work there. Their parts are high quality. THeir hard pipe kit is wonderful. It literally weighs close to nothing. I was really baffled when I picked up the upper intercooler pipe. It was light as a feather. Now I see why it's so expensive.

Anyways....... to sum everything up........ i'm really happy with the exhaust. Looks great, sounds great, the evo definately pulls harder on the top end. Overall, very pleased with RMR and the exhaust.

Rob
Your exhaust looks awesome. Would you kindly provide a few sound clips of it in action? Thanks!!
Old Jul 31, 2003, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Hm, just a question... but does HKS offer a full turbo-back Ti exhaust system? And how much might it be? I was just thinking I'd rather have my entire aftermarket exhaust as one system rather than bits and pieces from different manufacturers...
Old Jul 31, 2003, 08:21 PM
In Timeout

hks is working on their turbo exhaust still for the us evo viii... thats the exhaust im waiting for... o yea and the carbon ti looks mad nice... but does anyone kno the performance compared to carbon ti/ turbo exhaust both by HKS? the diff shown in the Evo VII would b good enough for me... im pretty sure the turbo exhaust gives a few more hp..
Old Jul 31, 2003, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Newbie question here... just to get my terms straight:

turbo-back: everything after the turbo
cat-back: everything after the catalytic converter

Now here are the things I'm not sure of:

downpipe: from turbo to cat?
test pipe: replaces the cat? (Evo has only one cat, correct?)

So essentially, a catback + downpipe will be a full exhaust system...
Old Jul 31, 2003, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like you got all the terminology correct...
Old Aug 1, 2003, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

***buzzard*** 75% correct. A true Turbo back is one from the turbo outlet and back. Yuoou are once again forgetting about the turbo outlet.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Nice. Heres mine. Same muffle, same downpipe, except I took off the cat and had custom 3" mendrel betn tubing from the DP to the muffler
Attached Thumbnails HKS Carbon Ti cat-back INSTALLED!!!!-p1010015.jpg  
Old Aug 19, 2003, 05:30 PM

How can you like a blue ring around the tip of the exhaust?

That looks ridicilous and ricey.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Sweft, you obviously dont know what u are talking about. Only titanium exhausts come with the blue ring for differentiation. If you consider that as ricey, your in the wrong forum dude
Old Aug 19, 2003, 06:40 PM

Yea that ring looks very sweet. But whatever floats your boat. This set-up is extremely nice and I hope you enjoy it.

Matt
Old Aug 19, 2003, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Sweft
How can you like a blue ring around the tip of the exhaust?

That looks ridicilous and ricey.
that's the way titanium burns, nimrod...
Old Sep 18, 2003, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Looks great to me!
Old Oct 6, 2003, 11:55 AM

Hi guys, I don't own a Evolution (hope to though), but I couldn't resist registering and posting about the Carbon Ti muffler.

This is a great looking exhaust, the price isn't too bad either... But a question I have, is that is the carbon fiber real??? I can't really tell from the pictures, but I sure hope it is. Another question is... Usually HKS/Apex-i style exhausts have some sort of name/logo etched on the tip/canister... I don't see them on this Carbon Ti muffler. I've seen some HKS Hipers mufflers in Japan have some sort of emblem on the tip. Do you guys know if this is custom? Or is it optional from HKS? Thanks for answering my questions, and helping me choose this exhaust for my car.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, it's real . Infact, the resin on it isnt as thick as CF hoods or spoilers, you can feel the CF texture as pass your fingers over the surface. Carbon Ti's arent etched on I think because of the titanium tip. The hipers do though.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 08:30 PM

Cool! Thanks! Have fun with your evolutions guys, and drive safe!

Quick Reply: HKS Carbon Ti cat-back INSTALLED!!!!