Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My Evo Shuts down..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2003, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My Evo Shuts down..

Hey guys.. I have been having this problem for sometime now...
The car keeps shutting down... The RPM drops below 0 and it just dies... Especially if I am coming to a stop... For example I am on 5th gear and their is a red light ahead... I just put the gear on neutral... The car just dies... No idea why...

I change the spark plug... and cleaned the throttle... I do have an aftermarket ECU on the car (link) but I think that's not the problem coz when I installed it a year ago... It was not giving me any problems... But my mechanic insists that it is the ECU so I might have it checked at the link dealer latter this week... But if anyone thinks it is something else plz share and enlighten me
Old Jun 27, 2003, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Did you install an aftermarket BOV? And is it venting to atmosphere?
Old Jun 27, 2003, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah I do have an aftermarket BOV.. but that was installed before the ECU.. Nothing was installed after the ECU expect for a new OS Twin plate.. and before I install the Clute it was dieing.. ..
Old Jun 27, 2003, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

It's your Link ECU. Take it out and look at the board for burn spots. If you don't find anything reload your map. Link has had some issues in the past. All what pump are you using (fuel pump) Link did have problems with Walbros.

My Best Good Luck
Eric
Old Jun 27, 2003, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

i would still say the BOV is the problem.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

What dose the BOV got to do with it ??
plz explain.. I am really new to this..
Dose the BOV get bad after 1 year of using..
By the way the car is 1 year old with 10,000KM on it.. that ( KM ) not ( M ) .. I installed the BOV about a week after getting the car.. and it never gave me problems.. after 1 month added a Greedy ex. filter, Turbo timer, and a boost controller . Few week latter installed the Link ECU..
Old Jun 27, 2003, 07:02 AM

My car does the same thing and t is worse with the A/C on. I have a greddy BOV, it is not VTA it is installed as a direct replacement for the stock BOV. I think it is the setting on my BOV. Possibly too tight? My car only does it when I give it throttle and it does not hit boost and then let off quicky. It is most apparent when parking and with the A/C on. I did really notice this until I started to use the A/C as the weather changed.

Reminds me of my old CRX with a big cam. I am going to try adjusting the BOV and see what happens. Maybe it's not closing soon enough... Any ideas?

Last edited by cdavy; Jun 27, 2003 at 07:05 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

SO you are saying that either my BOV is very tight or loss..
I will try to look in to that.. And see the result.. Plz tell me your result too..
Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2003, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by cdavy
My car does the same thing and t is worse with the A/C on. I have a greddy BOV, it is not VTA it is installed as a direct replacement for the stock BOV. I think it is the setting on my BOV. Possibly too tight? My car only does it when I give it throttle and it does not hit boost and then let off quicky. It is most apparent when parking and with the A/C on. I did really notice this until I started to use the A/C as the weather changed.

I have the exact same thing...weather , everything

-shahul
Old Jun 29, 2003, 02:56 AM
Evolving Member

My Evo has a mind on it own..
I was driving it last night and I was not having any problems at all.. Then I stoped by to eat dinner at a resturant with couple of friends . Drove it for a little while then it started doing it again.. I went back home parked it and decided to take it the next morning to the garage..

Next morning that is today I started it up and drove it and I have no problems with it .. I did not want to look stupid in the garage coz the car is not showing any problems.. It seems like it comes and goes.. Any idea's
Old Jun 29, 2003, 03:30 AM
Evolving Member

How does your BOV sound? Is good strong whoosh? Or more like it's got the Hiccups? If the later, maybe adjusting the BOV or maybe the spring has finally worn out. But just to be on the safe side check your ECU link too....but I agree with other guys..sounds like your BOV. Hope everything turns out alright Let us know what you discover the problem is.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

well, i think the guys with the bov problem are thinking this guy is driving around an evo 8, this is an evo 7 he is talking about... just to clarify if somebody didnt catch that. I would still check the link ecu, i have heard of the same thing.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 05:21 AM

Not to sound stupid, but... What difference would it make in this case if he ad an EVO7 vs and EVO 8? They are basically the same engine, correct? Assuming that is correct, the BOV could cause the same issue...
Old Jun 29, 2003, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

With the symptoms described I would suggest checking...
-Ignition Coils, wire
-ground connections
Old Jun 29, 2003, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for your reply guys..
I will be taking it tommorow morning to check the link ECU..

The BOV is working fine and the sound is the same ..

But if the ECU was OK and still giving me trouble.. I would change the BOV.. any suggestion on something good..

Will keep you updated on this..
and thanks to all your replys guys..

Quick Reply: My Evo Shuts down..