Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Curiosity question for those who have...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2007, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curiosity question for those who have...

for those of you who have beefed up the stock 2.0l or have done 2.1l, 2.3l, or 2.4l...as in: have installed them and dynoed and daily driven or tracked them:

what do you feel your drawbacks are? (i know what the facts are, i dont want to hear that stuff...i want to hear how you feel)

if you had money or a chance to do it different what would you have done instead?

for the 2.1l and the few 2.4l out there, what turbo are you running?

for anyone spooling a turbo bigger than a 35r, are you using meth, CO2, nitrous?

finally-you boys putting down the serious power (700WHP+) what gearset are you running?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

no one?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 i am also interested
Old Jul 17, 2007, 04:24 AM
Evolving Member

no one wants to answer because they want to keep it secret or they're upset i didnt search. oh well, i was just curious on opinions. im still doing things my way.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 04:50 AM

Ive recently done a 2.3 GT35R build am I very pleased with it but it comes down to what your expectations are.

Ive had discussions of this type in the UK and people complain about loppy idle from aggressive cams, lag, heavy clutches, turbo kit bolts lossening themselves or coming off and part throttle surge.

Dont expect to put down decent power without some of these drawbacks.

I did the build knowing i was going to have more lag, loppy idle and a heavy clutch - so that comes down to expectation. I also had to have some additional brackets made up to ensure the turbo kit bolts didnt loosen themselves.

Part throttle surge is an issue that no one told me about, but its not that bad and just adjusted by driving style.

I run 2.3bar/33.5psi on pump and absolutely love it. BTW running high boost on pump is fairly normal in the UK before anyone gets their knickers in a twist

Last edited by nianlala; Jul 17, 2007 at 04:53 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

i deal (quite regularly) with cars that come close to or break 6-7-800whp, i know some of the drawbacks and the issues. I just want to know if you truly enjoy your car, or if given the chance would you have done it differently?

which 2.3 did you get? and what a/r compressor and turbine did you get? and also...what the hell octane do you have at the pump??? i know Japan has a different rating scale for octane than us as well as Australia...but seriously i was running 32psi on pump gas with meth...so what do you have at the pump? or are you on meth as well?

Last edited by blackevo110; Jul 17, 2007 at 07:11 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:48 AM

I did a 2.4L w/ Buschur 3065 and all supporting mods. My goal was to make 450whp on pump. It ended up costing a LOT of money. In hindsight I would have kept 2.0L and used a Green turbo on race gas. The $10K that I saved would buy a lot of C16.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

lol...ok i feel you on that one...this will be the third time now my Evo will be undergoing metamorphasis and this time its final, too much money and problems otherwise...

im curious did you end up hitting your horsepower goal with the 3065? i bet it ran out of breath around 6000-6500 didnt it? or did you tune for average and not peak? i know it was a torque monster, lol.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by blackevo110
i deal (quite regularly) with cars that come close to or break 6-7-800whp, i know some of the drawbacks and the issues. I just want to know if you truly enjoy your car, or if given the chance would you have done it differently?

which 2.3 did you get? and what a/r compressor and turbine did you get? and also...what the hell octane do you have at the pump??? i know Japan has a different rating scale for octane than us as well as Australia...but seriously i was running 32psi on pump gas with meth...so what do you have at the pump? or are you on meth as well?

At present I cant get enough of my setup. I dont need a car as I walk to work but cant wait to get my next opportunity to drive it. Its a case of knowing how much i enjoyed it last time but then thinking "was it really that fast?". Take the car for a drive and get back and think, yes it was that fast. So all in all the GT35R 2.3 for me is excellent - great daily driver. If I did it again I would do the same, although with new technology coming out all the time i may have gone with the Full-Race twin scroll GT35R instead of the AMS GT35R. Not becuase the AMS is too laggy but the twin scroll will have even less.

I run only pump, no meth. We get 94oct equivalent to US rating at the pump however I believe the engine compression etc is build up differently than the US tuners to allow running high boost on pump. This very topic has been discussed on another thread.

My stroker kit is 100mm Eagle crank, Manley Pro I beam rods and Wiseco pistons.

Last edited by nianlala; Jul 18, 2007 at 04:26 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

I have a 2.1L FROM SBR on the stock head with a gt40r. I like the 2.1L because I can go deep into the revs. Keep in mind that my block was built for Curt Brown and that who is I bought it from. The 40R is laggy but I think it will get better when I get the head ported. It makes 23lbs on pump at about 6k, 20lbs at about 5500. I made 475 on pump with a conservative tune. (11.2-11.5 AFR's)
Old Jul 18, 2007, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by blackevo110
lol...ok i feel you on that one...this will be the third time now my Evo will be undergoing metamorphasis and this time its final, too much money and problems otherwise...

im curious did you end up hitting your horsepower goal with the 3065? i bet it ran out of breath around 6000-6500 didnt it? or did you tune for average and not peak? i know it was a torque monster, lol.
I haven't hit 450 on pump yet. Trying to make hp on CA 91 octane is a joke. I also still have a cat, etc. and am tracking down some weird knock problems that many people seem to have with strokers. I am waiting on a Randomtech cat (backordered) and a aquamist hfs-5 (too lazy to install yet) to get retuned. I'm hoping for 500whp with blended race gas and meth. The car is ridiculously torquey with the 2.4L and shorter gears of the MR transmission.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nianlala
At present I cant get enough of my setup. I dont need a car as I walk to work but cant wait to get my next opportunity to drive it. Its a case of knowing how much i enjoyed it last time but then thinking "was it really that fast?". Take the car for a drive and get back and think, yes it was that fast. So all in all the GT35R 2.3 for me is excellent - great daily driver. If I did it again I would do the same, although with new technology coming out all the time i may have gone with the Full-Race twin scroll GT35R instead of the AMS GT35R. Not becuase the AMS is too laggy but the twin scroll will have even less.

I run only pump, no meth. We get 94oct equivalent to US rating at the pump however I believe the engine compression etc is build up differently than the US tuners to allow running high boost on pump. This very topic has been discussed on another thread.

My stroker kit is 100mm Eagle crank, Manley Pro I beam rods and Wiseco pistons.
mmmmm....made in the USA, lol. J/K.

what is your compression ratio? in the low 8's high 7's?
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by YellowEvilEvo
I have a 2.1L FROM SBR on the stock head with a gt40r. I like the 2.1L because I can go deep into the revs. Keep in mind that my block was built for Curt Brown and that who is I bought it from. The 40R is laggy but I think it will get better when I get the head ported. It makes 23lbs on pump at about 6k, 20lbs at about 5500. I made 475 on pump with a conservative tune. (11.2-11.5 AFR's)
personally i dont find 11.2-11.5 very conservative (my personal feelings) thats actually where i like to stay, but i have meth as well and im fuzzy on it because its stoic is so much lower than 93...i believe its like 9.8 or something, so youre supposed to average the fuel with the meth mix. Anyway, your set-up was the other one i seriously considered. i kinda wanted a screamer especially because of time in gear, but i cant deal with all the lag, i get irritated lol. More power to you bro. If i were you however, i would consider an SMC meth/water injection kit...i think it would suit you well.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MrEvo2U
I haven't hit 450 on pump yet. Trying to make hp on CA 91 octane is a joke. I also still have a cat, etc. and am tracking down some weird knock problems that many people seem to have with strokers. I am waiting on a Randomtech cat (backordered) and a aquamist hfs-5 (too lazy to install yet) to get retuned. I'm hoping for 500whp with blended race gas and meth. The car is ridiculously torquey with the 2.4L and shorter gears of the MR transmission.
i know it is, i was in San Diego for about 2 years...i loved it there, but hated the pump gas and the stupid prices.

anyway, you and i are looking at the same kind of deal, just straight torque monsters. any personally bro, just an idea. id either smash the honeycomb out of my stock cat or take it off and replace it with a "test pipe" and save the cat for your inspections. dont waste your money on a high flow, if thats what that is. thats just me though. and your time in gear with meth is gonna be so stupid short and torquey as all *****...lol. your car will be an autocross monster.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by YellowEvilEvo
Damn son! I have to check out your car sometime! What is your redline (rev limiter) set at? I live down the street in Severn.

Quick Reply: Curiosity question for those who have...