Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What's the cause of CEL p0011?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2007, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the cause of CEL p0011?

P0011
Camshaft Position
Actuator A - Bank 1
Timing Over - Advan

I just had my s1 cams installed and that code came up. I babied my car and put about 190 miles on it when the code came on. What could have caused this code to come up?

I've searched but didn't really find anything. Mostly found people saying take it back to the dealer but i'm sure my warranty is out.

Any help?
Old Aug 3, 2007, 09:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were to guess, I would say one of the cam position sensor signal cups is not bolted to the camshaft correctly. The keys are offset but I have seen them installed backwards.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I agree Cam Position Sensor
Old Aug 3, 2007, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

are you talking about the dowel pin of the camshaft isn't in the gear correctly?
Old Aug 3, 2007, 09:31 PM
Former Sponsor

No, the other side of the camshaft.

On the Evo 9 there are cam position sensors on both cams. On the drivers side of the camshafts there are windowed cups that are bolted to the ends. The windows pass the cam position sensors and give the ECU information on the position of the cams.

The cups are keyed to bolt on correctly but the key in them is not sufficiently offset (IMO) enough to keep them from being bolted on 180 degrees out.

I have seen them be bolted on in the wrong position.

Take two of the three bolt off the triangle caps opposite the cam gears. Loosen the third bolt and swivel the triangle cap out of the way and you will see the cups.

Positioning the motor at TDC on the compression stroke (cam gear marks lined up with the valve cover), the exhaust cam cup should have the small section of the cup facing up and towards the front of the car. The intake cam cup will need to be removed (12mm bolt) and the keys inspected to figure out if it is installed correctly.

LMK if you want to try this, I can talk you through it.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

I know what your talking about. When I went to put them back on the new cams, I made sure i put them back on the same way i took them off the stock 9 cams. Is there a way to checked the intake cam sensor to make sure it's correct?
Old Aug 3, 2007, 10:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Only by looking at the key in the cup and the key in the cam. You will see its slightly off center on both. I have not experimented with the intake cup to figure out if there is a way to check it without taking it off.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 11:21 PM

P0011: Variable Timing System

-The ECM checks the vvt system for malfunction.

-The Phase angle of the intake camshaft is higher than the specified value.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Just to make sure, bank 1 is the intake camshaft side? I guess i have to take it apart and inspect it. trial and error.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

If it so happens that I did put in the cam position actuator 180 degree backwards, would the p0011 code had pulled up right away? I did put a few good miles on it and it ran great.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Could be off a tooth on the timing belt. It checks the difference between the 2 CAS as I recall to make sure its not more than 30* of crank motion. I may be wrong on this, I dont have my Mitsu service manual with me right now. CEL usually go through a 2 drive cycle test phase so that might be why you didnt see it at first, OR the amount that it is off is small enough that you wouldnt have gone over 30* max advance right away so it didnt trip.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

I really dont think I'm off a tooth on the timing belt. The cam gears and valve cover lines are lined up, crank is where it was before I took the gears off the cams. When I had them back together, I manually rotated the motor a few times and everything went good.

as of right now, i'm so clueless of what to do now. I think I need help fixing it. I'm not good at diagnosting.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

this is just my exp., but i don't have cams, and i get that code every now and then, but i have a tune from Turbotrix, ecutek so that is what causes mines.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

So on the intake cam, if I switch the cam position actuator 180 degree and install, I'd have to drive the car and put some miles on to see if the code shows up again? Is there any way check of the cam position actuator from being backwards?
Old Aug 5, 2007, 08:19 PM
Former Sponsor

The only way to check is to pull cup off the cam and inspect it. Look at the slot in the end of the cam. You will notice its not down the center line of the camshaft. You will also notice that the tab on the cup that engages it is also offset. They only fit correctly one way.

I do not know how long it takes to set this code so I cant help you there.

IIRC, there are four slots in the intake CPS cup. unless one slot is different, it probably wouldnt matter if it was 180 out. I will have to look at one more closely next time I do cams on a 9

Quick Reply: What's the cause of CEL p0011?