Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

hks knockoff intake?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2007, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hks knockoff intake?

anyone running this? i picked one up, couldnt beat the price. like $59 + shipping. have it sitting here and the quality looks pretty decent.

anyone have experience with this, good/decent/sucks?

same one as this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Air-I...spagenameZWDVW

Last edited by joel(PA); Aug 6, 2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The one you linked is known as the blue intake of death.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 09:44 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hks intake filters arent that great they tend to not filter everything that goes into your turbo causing your blades to become rounded and eaten up on the edges of all the blades. you would be better off with a cone style filter for the life of your car and turbo.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

i found the thread from Al... i cant see how this thing is that much different than the hks... the only thing i see different is the MAF adapter. maybe i'll just buy and hks and sit them side by side.

Last edited by joel(PA); Aug 6, 2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joel(PA)
i found the thread from Al... i cant see how this thing is any different than the hks... maybe i'll just buy and hks and sit them side by side.
If I were you DON'T!!! I was thinking the same too about buying it and just using the induction pipe and matching it with a different filter. But the fitting is just straight bad. The cuppling from the pipe to the turbo is long, so as well as the pipe to the MAS. You'll need to cut it and I mean really cut it just to make it fit. I the cupping aren't that great as well.

Don't waste your money. I know your purpose is to just get the induction pipe but you can just get the Injen intake system and it'll be better.

It's still up to you, but remember, you get what you pay for.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

dirt
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Or, you could just get none of that junk and stick with a simple $80 BR cone filter. Such a basic and unnecessary mod - no reason to make it difficult.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tvbf1
If I were you DON'T!!! I was thinking the same too about buying it and just using the induction pipe and matching it with a different filter. But the fitting is just straight bad. The cuppling from the pipe to the turbo is long, so as well as the pipe to the MAS. You'll need to cut it and I mean really cut it just to make it fit. I the cupping aren't that great as well.

Don't waste your money. I know your purpose is to just get the induction pipe but you can just get the Injen intake system and it'll be better.

It's still up to you, but remember, you get what you pay for.
so you had to cut the couplers? or the actual induction pipe itself?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

The good part about the HKS is the filter part, not the element itself, but the airhorn and the way the air is funneled into the maf. The ebay one is missing that part. HKS intakes make good power, more then many others. There are solutions to the "not really a filter" filter, just search for it.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:29 AM
Account Disabled

hks intake filters also allow dirt and other small flying objects to get into your turbo.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joel(PA)
so you had to cut the couplers? or the actual induction pipe itself?
I had to cut the couplers quite a bit. But now when I think about it, I think the unit is pretty long. The reason why I said so is because, I cut it a lot. It's to a point where the pipe is nearly touching the turbo and coupling on the MAS with clamp on it has the 2 or 3 mm left and it's pushing my stock intake box pretty hard. I hope that I'm making sense.

It's NOT a direct fit, you'll have to do a lot cutting. Even though I cut the couplers as much as I could, it was a B!tch to install it with the stock intake box.

This intake pushes your intake so far to the fender that there's hardly any room left. I really doubt it that you can fit any other intake on it. Even with the filter that they gave which is probably 5 inch in diameter and 2.5 - 3 inch thicK. The thing is getting pinned against the wheel wall.

Just get the HKS RS intake or Reload, or the K&N Typhoon intake and you'll be much happier.

Beside, the intake will make your MAS read differently and cause your car to bog. Intake are deemed useless unless you have a tune.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

ordered buschur's intake, UICP, battery... anyone want this intake cheap, lol
Old Aug 6, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Wisdom.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Or, you could just get none of that junk and stick with a simple $80 BR cone filter. Such a basic and unnecessary mod - no reason to make it difficult.
Or spend less than $30 shipped and get basically the same thing:

In fact the red one is the exact same filter that was sold before the white revision.

Search on ebay, it's there, cheap, works the same.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:11 AM
Former Sponsor

I use the HKS Racing Suction Kit on plenty of Evo's in which the cause of dirt never became an issue but if you are truely scared of the filter getting dirty or small objects flying in, which I dont see happening if your not in a very felthy environment, there is a triple layered filter element that HKS offers.

Kenny

Last edited by Sales@IveyTune; Aug 6, 2007 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply: hks knockoff intake?