Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can not pass 11 psi. Help!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the FORGE UNOS, and i have the soft spring installed.....it took me at least 20+ clicks to get to where i need to be. I think for faster spool, run the solenoid that is connected to the turbo outlett nipple, and T it into the intake line. Capp off the turbo outlett.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Neuspeed06
I think for faster spool, run the solenoid that is connected to the turbo outlett nipple, and T it into the intake line. Capp off the turbo outlett.
Say what? Errrr, no.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
be sure that ur turning the knob even clicks!
Old Aug 27, 2007, 05:53 AM

this is the mbc.

The tubing is coming straight from the the turbo nipple to the side on the right of the picture. Then from the side on the left of the picture to the wga.

i used the tubing that came in the kit and also replaced it with 4mm windshield washer tubing this made no difference. Ive also turned the knob all the way both ways for no difference.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, sorry, that's the new Buschur in-line MBC. I don't yet know how it works. I would call Buschur and ask...
Old Aug 27, 2007, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Grey Razor
If you are running with the stock wastegate and you remove the restrictor pill from the line that is closest to the turbo, the wastegate will not hold more than 11psi. No matter how high you turn up the boost on the MBC, the wastegate will dump at 11.
Strange cause I took my restrictor pill out and I boost 22psi quite fine
Old Aug 27, 2007, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Wink

I thought you have to remove the restrictor pill so you can boost more? Thats why they call it a rI thought you have to remove the restrictor pill so you can boost more? Thats why they call it a restrictor pill cause it restricts. estrictor pill cause it restricts.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by big_huff
I thought you have to remove the restrictor pill so you can boost more? Thats why they call it a rI thought you have to remove the restrictor pill so you can boost more? Thats why they call it a restrictor pill cause it restricts. estrictor pill cause it restricts.

the restrictor pill on the wastegate side shouldnt be removed, bec this pill will let the boost increase! this pill will delay the open of the wastegate and thus letting more boost to built up!! narrowing it on the wastegate side will increase boost! but on the solenoid side its ok if u remove it!
Old Aug 28, 2007, 03:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
OK, it appears most people do not understand how the stock boost system works, or how an MBC system works on an EVO.

The stock system has:

There are three endpoints on the stock system, the turbo outlet, the wastegate actuator, and the boost solenoid. The way the system works is, the turbo outlet pushes boost through it's line, that boost is slowed by the restrictor pill to prevent the WGA from receiving it all at once. The ECU also bleeds off some of the boost into the intake to prevent the WGA from receiving even more of the air. This bleed is called WasteGate Duty Cycle, and is from 0 to 100% in your ECU.

Now, if you take the restrictor pill out from the turbo line, the wastegate will receive 100% of the boost the turbo makes (and the solenoid can't bleed it off in time) and the wastegate opens at spring pressure of 10.5 psi.

There is also a restrictor pill on the solenoid side which reduces how fast it can bleed. This is to reduce spiking of boost.

Either way, without a restrictor pill on the turbo side, you won't boost more than 10.5 psi because the WGA is getting hit with 100% boost

Now, as far as an MBC...

Usually the vacuum lines are replaced and the MBC is sourced from either the turbo outlet or the BOV bleed line, and then directly to the WGA. The MBC will not pass any boost to the WGA until it's set spring level is achieved. In essence, the MBC reduces the amount of boost passing through it so the WGA only sees it after a certain point.

You could think of an MBC as an adjustable restrictor pill, because that's really what it is.

Last edited by recompile; Aug 28, 2007 at 03:42 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 04:01 AM
Evolving Member

^+1
detailed explanation!
Old Aug 28, 2007, 04:08 AM
Evolving Member

by the way what will happen if i install the mbc and kept the stock vaccum lines with the restrictor pill?
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Interesting comments.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ranz
by the way what will happen if i install the mbc and kept the stock vaccum lines with the restrictor pill?
It will still work, but the MBC will have to be turned down because the boost source is restricted by the pill.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SpyderBite
Strange cause I took my restrictor pill out and I boost 22psi quite fine
You took out the pill on the solenoid side of the T which was meant to reduce spiking, so now you spike 1-2 psi higher than stock.

The pill on the turbo side is still there
Old Aug 28, 2007, 08:53 AM

So is it possible that I have a defective mbc then because I cannot find any major leaks and never spike or exceed 11 psi?? Or should I readd a pill?

Last edited by diezilnj; Aug 28, 2007 at 08:56 AM.