Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

+/- of dual disc clutch vs. single disc?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2003, 11:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
+/- of dual disc clutch vs. single disc?

I'm looking for a detailed description on the pluses and minuses of both. I think I have a rudimentary understanding, but I'm looking for more info. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 6, 2003, 08:41 AM
Former Sponsor

bump...anyone?
Old Jul 6, 2003, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
twin disc is better for daily driving and the single has a more ON/OFF feel to it, better for track use...

prices, check Z1, but $1000 for single and $1500 for twin?

-Shahul X
Old Jul 6, 2003, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

i will have hks twin plate good for 500hp for $1350, within two weeks, let me know if you need anything
Old Jul 6, 2003, 09:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Is it harder to launch with a twin disc vs. single? WHy is a twin better than a single for daily driving?

Also, doesn't exedy make the HKS clutches?
Old Jul 6, 2003, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

i heared they dont make the HKS...

-Shahul
Old Jul 6, 2003, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Shahul X
i heared they dont make the HKS...

-Shahul
exede doesnt make hks clutches,
Old Jul 6, 2003, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A twin- or multi-plate clutch allows for more clutch surface with less clutch diameter and less spring pressure. So for a clutch that can hold a given amount of torque, a single plate will have heavier spring pressure which is not a great thing for a daily driver.

Persoanlly, on a fast GT car, or for road racing a multiplate clutch is great, even though they tend to be a bit of an in/out affair. That makes them difficult to launch, as slipping the clutch does not work with them. Personally, I wouldn't want a multiplate affair on a 4WD car like the Evo because of that.
Old Jul 6, 2003, 09:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Thank you, that was the kind of information I was looking for. ANyone else with any input? Claudius perhaps?
Old Jul 7, 2003, 12:09 PM
Account Disabled

Well, the twin disk has more friction area, so can handle more torque than the singel disk. Twin disk also tends to be easier to drive on the street than teh single, whcih can be a bit grabby (though it is easy to get used to).

Cusco, Power Enterprise and Exedy are all made by Exedy.

Ogura makes their own, as does HKS.

The Ogura is a great clutch to use as well (can only speak for the twin disk so far, as we recently used it in an RX7)...very easy pedal pressure, easy to drive smooth.

The HKS clutches are not the ideal choice for the street IMHO.....way to grabby, and don't like to do anything but be launched. But for strictly drag use, or for a car that only sees track days, its a good unit to use. The Exedy/PE/Cusco units are at home ina variety of circumstances
Old Jul 7, 2003, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

so the exedy/cusco twin plate clutch is the best all-round for racing and street....

-shahul
Old Jul 8, 2003, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

A dual disc clutch can have a nicer, more stock-like (less grabby) engagement than an aggressive single while still having good clamping power when fully engaged. At the end of the day though, you want some slip in the clutch of an AWD car to launch it well. If the tires won't spin and the clutch won't give, when you drop the clutch at high RPM either the motor is going to bog or you are going to break something. Of course, you can let it out somewhat gradually, but that's a recipe for a smoked short-lived clutch.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:46 AM
Former Sponsor

"A twin- or multi-plate clutch allows for more clutch surface with less clutch diameter and less spring pressure."
" twin disc is better for daily driving and the single has a more ON/OFF feel to it, better for track use..."

Actually it is not surface "area" that increases the torque capacity, it is the number of surfaces. The formula for clutch torque capacity is T=PxFxNxR where T=torque capacity in ftlbs, P=pounds of clamping force, N=number of friction surfaces (two for single disc), and R=radius of gyration in feet (disc size). When you increase surface area without changing number of surfaces you are actually decreasing the pressure (psi) applied to the fricton surface proportionally. When you add a second disc, you literally double the torque capacity if all other factors are unchanged. There are difficulties and drawbacks to multi-plate clutch design as well.

A single is not necessarilly more on/off. The stock single disc isn't for instance. The on/off aspect of the clutch is a result of the coefficient of friction and the pressure acting on the friction surface and the proper use of a marcel between the linings. If you double the clamp load but use a stock disc, it will engage just like stock. Of course you will need to use both feet to push it in. If you use a stock pressure plate and use an aggressive disc, it will chatter and be more of an on/off switch. There are many design considerations to get the right balance to make the most people happy. I have countless customers who use our race clutches on their Hondas and claim they are totally streetable. I think they are crazy. Of course everyone thinks they have a race car and they want to chirp fourth gear.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 05:19 PM
Account Disabled

Dirk - I did not mean to say that ever single disk clutch was more on off, just that the Exedy Hyper Single is when compared with their twin disk setup
Old Jul 14, 2003, 07:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
Dirk - I did not mean to say that ever single disk clutch was more on off, just that the Exedy Hyper Single is when compared with their twin disk setup
If the Hyper Single is a puck type that makes sense because of the extra friction. Thanks!

Quick Reply: +/- of dual disc clutch vs. single disc?