Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

help on evo stock boost gauge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2007, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help on evo stock boost gauge

Well i have just took in my EVO IX into the dealership to put in the sportsmeter kit for those of you who are thinking of it make sure they have all the parts. The sportsmeter kit comes with the the oil temp, turbo and volts gauge. Not only that but you need a brand new bracket that hold the gauges in. I had to find out the hard way. I do have a question though maybe someone with a MR can answer it. On my turbo gauge it doesn't read zero when the car is running. When i give it gas the needle move accordinly and I have taken it to 1.5 bars which is the max. I was wondering if this was normal becasue i have two other cars that are boosted and they always stay at zero when the car is idling.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

its normal
Old Sep 13, 2007, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

the stock gauges read vacuum as well as boost...
Old Sep 13, 2007, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, the needle will be below zero (in vacuum) at idle and usually when cruising as well. It should only go in to boost when you are on the throttle and accelerating.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it should read minus something if its not at wot, bec of the vaccum!
Old Sep 14, 2007, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Not entirely correct ... you don't have to be at WOT to build boost. You can boost at partial throttle. The most basic way to state it is that you will never boost without accelerating.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOIX-SAV
i have two other cars that are boosted and they always stay at zero when the car is idling.

.....no way.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Some cars have solenoids that regulate boost/vacuum to things like the fuel system. If you tap in to a pressure source after one of these solenoids you will sometimes get a "0" reading on the gauge. The 4G63 and 2JZ, for example, both have solenoids like this before the fuel pressure regulator.

Or, maybe the gauge had a one way check valve in line somewhere ... or didn't read vacuum at all.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOIX-SAV
I was wondering if this was normal becasue i have two other cars that are boosted and they always stay at zero when the car is idling.
There are some boost gauges you can buy that do not read in vacuum, they only read in boost. These are probably the gauges you had on your other cars. In my oppinion, it is best to get gauges that read high enough in boost like 30 - 40 psi and also read in vacuum. The more information you have available, the easier things get when working on and modifying your car.

To be honest, I would not have bought the stock gauge kit from Mitsu, but since you did, enjoy.

Another note, if I remember correctly, 1 bar = 14.7 pounds of boost. So your car boosting 1.5 bar = 22 pounds of boost which is about 1.5psi more than stock for a evo 9. I am sure your car is really about 1.3 bar but you can't look that closely because your hauling ***. Hope this helps.

Tyler
Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

did u check ur boost gauge installation setup!
Old Sep 16, 2007, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 98autogstspyder
...To be honest, I would not have bought the stock gauge kit from Mitsu, but since you did, enjoy. ...
why not? Im thinking of doing the same,
Old Sep 16, 2007, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

When I was stock i definately could not hit 1.5bar...
Old Sep 17, 2007, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

1.5 is possible stock ... I got close to it many times ... 14.5 or so in higher gears.

As far as the stock kit goes, the boost gauge is quite accurate. Some argue that it's even more accurate than the other common replacements, such as Defi. I know that mine is within .5 psi of my JDM MAP sensor which measures directly from the manifold and it adjusted for my elevation.

Now, comparing costs it might not be the best decision to go with the stock gauges since they are smaller and not as flashy. The voltage gauge is fairly useless as well. I have an MR so it was standard ... I don't plan on changing them since they suit my needs well.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

its normal and i have hit 1.5 on stock
Old Sep 27, 2016, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Excuse the thread revival, saves from making another post relative to topic, but is it normal to read -30hg while at idle on the oem MR gauge? Always believed -20 to be ideal

Quick Reply: help on evo stock boost gauge