Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ecedy Twin vs ACT Street - Clutch Life ??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2007, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecedy Twin vs ACT Street - Clutch Life ??

EDIT: Yes I know I can't type!

So I found a post on ACT life here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...me+Duty+Clutch

but I can't find anything on the exedy. Searching around the ACT seems like the best bang for the buck right now since I can get it with a lightweight flywheel for half what the exedy/flywheel is going to cost me.

I drive my car VERY hard on a daily basis. Well over the posted speed limits and I belive in getting to that speed very fast, so I am hard on clutches.

I am leaning toward the ACT right now as it would hold my current mods and those planned in the futre, at least over the next couple years. The ACT may or may not last me that long as I will be hard on it.

My question is, what kind of life do people see out of the Exedy being hard on it? Is it going to last me twice as long as the ACT?

Last edited by BoostEEd; Sep 18, 2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

both Heavy duty and the Xtreme will be fantastic for u.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

I have probably 80-100 launches out of my exedy twin, a couple of track days and 14000 miles total and it's still holding great, I heard too many negatives about act, related to gear lockout, etc, and plus planned on upping power so I wanted enough to handle my mods. I figured I would go through two Act to one Exedy.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fastrob691
I heard too many negatives about act, related to gear lockout, etc, and plus planned on upping power so I wanted enough to handle my mods. I figured I would go through two Act to one Exedy.
After reading more last night thats kind of where I am ending up. I know a lot of people LOVE the ACT though.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
in my 03 i had both... exedy first, then act

exedy was a champ, nomatter what i thru at it, it took the abuse and never slipped an inch. What a great clutch.

act, i wanted to take that thing off the minute it got on the car... it was soft like stock as far as the pedal goes, but at the track it seemed to slip just like my stocker did, and gear lock out sucked.

on my ix, the exedy is on, and will stay, and you can rebuild them should something go bad. I've got probably 75 launches on mine now, 30000 miles, and i drive my car like i stole it most the time. Just now, im having issues to where i think i need to replace the plates.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fastrob691
I have probably 80-100 launches out of my exedy twin, a couple of track days and 14000 miles total and it's still holding great, I heard too many negatives about act, related to gear lockout, etc, and plus planned on upping power so I wanted enough to handle my mods. I figured I would go through two Act to one Exedy.

same here ...i am going exedy twin HD
Old Sep 19, 2007, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Its all relative though. I went thru my Exedy twin(not HD) in less than 12 months. Then, when I needed replacement discs there were none available, kept driving and completely destroyed the clutch, having to replace it. Now, maybe the HD version is more durable. I've been driving the ACT w/light f/w for 2 years of hard driving and a few 1/4 mile passes. Still runs flawlessly. Had a little grind at high speed shifting 4-5th gear, adjusted the clutch pedal, and its gone. But, I do remember the Exedy pedal pressure being very light.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

ACT ftw!!

In all seriousness, the Exedy is an amazing clutch, but for those that want to retain stock pedal pressure, I'd suggest the ACT; I'm starting to wonder if the clutch lockout is an installation issue, since I've yet to experience it on nearly 10k on the ACT (Turbotrix put my ACT in so I know it was professionally done!)
Old Sep 19, 2007, 07:07 AM

Love the Exedy twin HD! Have mine for about 20k and about 100+ track passes launching at 6k no problems, except is time to rebuilt and the parts are AWOL!
Old Sep 19, 2007, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

i have 472whp and 426tq on the ACT HDSS and no slipping, no grinding and it was half the price. my pedal is stiffer than stock but its not out of hand either. i love it so far
Old Sep 19, 2007, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

i think the guys that like the ACT clutchs don't really track their cars..or drag launch them.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gamebred26
i think the guys that like the ACT clutchs don't really track their cars..or drag launch them.
That's probably the dumbest thing I've read so far today...luckily it's still early

Please enlighten everyone on why you think this is true...
Old Sep 19, 2007, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shivaswrath
ACT ftw!!

In all seriousness, the Exedy is an amazing clutch, but for those that want to retain stock pedal pressure, I'd suggest the ACT; I'm starting to wonder if the clutch lockout is an installation issue, since I've yet to experience it on nearly 10k on the ACT (Turbotrix put my ACT in so I know it was professionally done!)
The ACT DOES NOT retain stock pedal pressure. I had my ACT and it destroyed my tranny. Do it right the first time and get the Exedy.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by laakness
That's probably the dumbest thing I've read so far today...luckily it's still early

Please enlighten everyone on why you think this is true...
honestly, id think the same thing by this thread.... everyone chiming in with the exedy's are saying things like i launch the **** out of my car a million times and drive all day and it holds...

the acd people are chiming in with the pedal feels nice, i have 400 hp and it drives nice.

just seems to be a different attitude is all.... not saying acd isnt good or anything like that, just a different discussion topic associated with each clutch type in this thread
Old Sep 19, 2007, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
i am glad someone asked this because i been looking at clutches to put in this summer cause i kno my stocker will be dead by then from autox.

So currently the twin hd is worth the money for the long run and the act is a good route for $ effective short term?

Quick Reply: Ecedy Twin vs ACT Street - Clutch Life ??