Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

272 cam idle problem again

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2003, 10:36 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its good to see you guys know your stuff!

To really exploit the cams, the gears (called venier pullies overseas just in case you are on forums in other countries) are really needed. Problem is that you will dial out a bit of top end power becuase of the needed adjustments

IMH, 262/272 gives the best overall compromise of performance and power, with only a minor hiccup at idle without the need for cam gears.

To really extract the power of the cam gears, will definately require some form of programmable engine management (what you use does not matter nearly as much as who programs it for you)
Old Aug 1, 2003, 06:52 AM

Re: 272 cam idle problem again

Originally posted by maki
this bad idle problem has been discussed over and over again, but many people still dont understand
272 (high lift cams) will idle badly when the car is not tuned properly.
you wont gain 60 hp when you install those cams and your car probably wont idle too well.

BIgger is not always better.
rmr is not perfect but in this case they are not the person to blame for the idle problem
just my .02 cents
Keep this in mind, I told THEM that I wanted 264/272 combo from the get go, they told me they were the EVO experts and that 272/272 would idle fine. I trusted them, and they f*cked me. The car did not idle and they didn't apply any of their tuning "expertise" to make sure my car idled properly. So tell me, how they are not to blame when they promised me the car would idle? I was going to pass on the cams altogether if I couldn't ge the combo I wanted, but they wanted to make every penny possible off of me and put in parts that did not work.

Shawn
Old Aug 1, 2003, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 272 cam idle problem again

Shawn, rmr is my competition and I see they pissed you off real good, but..
272 cams will have idle issues, you have to fuel tune your car really good to get rid of the idle problem. Those cams are designed with hks springs (even though some people dont think so) and will make a difference on 400hp + car.
HKS springs (or any other spring) won't make a lick of difference at idle, period. The cams are turning slowly enough at that point that the followers will have no trouble following the cam lobe profile.

know what youre doing, get a mechanic who knows what he's doing.
Are you a mechanic?
Old Aug 1, 2003, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

My idle is a bit weak at 750RPMs on my Eclipse with my HKS 264s. So I bumped it up to 950RPMs.

Last edited by ShapeGSX; Aug 1, 2003 at 07:13 AM.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Question about the 264/272 combo: (sounds tasty)

What is the compromise with these cams? vs. stock

Where do these cams begin to make power? I'm looking to increase area under the curve more than peak HP, or I'll sacrifice a little HP for more torque. Can you do some neat things with the power band if you also use adjustable sprockets?

Does the exhaust note change a little with them? (better?)

What's the average amount of power, hp/tq, that this combo makes across the board?

(I loved having cams in my old SR20DE, the right ones anways =)

This will be a 100% daily driven street car and will stay with the stock turbo until it dies.

TIA
Old Aug 1, 2003, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by DrMerl
Question about the 264/272 combo: (sounds tasty)

What is the compromise with these cams? vs. stock

Where do these cams begin to make power? I'm looking to increase area under the curve more than peak HP, or I'll sacrifice a little HP for more torque. Can you do some neat things with the power band if you also use adjustable sprockets?

Does the exhaust note change a little with them? (better?)

What's the average amount of power, hp/tq, that this combo makes across the board?

(I loved having cams in my old SR20DE, the right ones anways =)

This will be a 100% daily driven street car and will stay with the stock turbo until it dies.
TIA
all I know is that no tuner in Japan recommends 264/272 combo
if it worked JUN and HKS would sell it
Old Aug 1, 2003, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

?????

How do we find out more about this?

I know on NA cars that we could get some interesting results with mixing and matching OE cams with various new cam creations. I know a turbo car use cams to enhance it's design more than the engine itself (iirc). Can someone refresh what types of cams and combos are beneficial for a turbo ?
Old Aug 1, 2003, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Oh yeah, what's the safest way to use these cams? Full spring and titanium retainers? If you go that route is it safe to rev the engine up to 8,000 rpm?
Old Aug 1, 2003, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Are we mixing up duration and lift. The 270 is the the duration or the amount of time the value is opened. This affect idle more than a higher lift. Lift is usually quoted at 10 something depending on the cam. Tomei has a lower duration (260) but higher lift cam that should be better suited for the street.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

How much for high lift Tomei's Value? Im more concerned with the lift then the duration.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

272 cams are not intended for road cars but
for track cars who will slightly benefit from the increased duration. Idle is not an issue for racing. For road cars with perfect or close to perfect idle, 264s are recommended.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by value
Are we mixing up duration and lift. The 270 is the the duration or the amount of time the value is opened. This affect idle more than a higher lift. Lift is usually quoted at 10 something depending on the cam. Tomei has a lower duration (260) but higher lift cam that should be better suited for the street.
huh? 260 duration but higher lift?
me no understand
jun 264's 10.5 intake and 10.5 exhaust (an example)
im not sure what value is trying to say and how any other set up would be beneficial for good idle
Old Aug 2, 2003, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

huh? 260 duration but higher lift?
me no understand
jun 264's 10.5 intake and 10.5 exhaust (an example)
im not sure what value is trying to say and how any other set up would be beneficial for good idle
He's talking about Tomei Procams with 260 duration and 11.5 lift. Its a street setup with no idle problems. I have a friend running that while I'm running the 272's. I have NO problems with idle, but I sacrificed some power up high for that .. The 260s doesn't even need cam gears. Its designed as a dropin.

FYI The Parts recommendation for the VII does indeed specify 264/272 combo.. If anyone can tell me how to upload pictures.. I'll send the japanese catalog page on that
Old Aug 2, 2003, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Maki - thanks for the great service - I love the JIUN cams - can't wait to test them

Hey - does anyone know if the old school 1st and 2nd gen valve retainers are the same as the evo 4g63???? I have some old eclipse ones in ti sitting about
Old Aug 2, 2003, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Compare the retainers to your stock. Or you could ask a company and ask should different retainers make an issues?

Quick Reply: 272 cam idle problem again