Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

To all GT35r turbo owners

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2007, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so when it comes time to smog, what do you guys do?
Old Oct 19, 2007, 08:06 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a fully built AMS 35R 2g. I must say, for drag the turbo is 100% street extreme and track extreme. If the 2g every leaves my stable (its for sale) it will be missed... there is nothing like that pull and it puts a smile on my face everytime!

....That said, I don't think its 35R or go home. The reason I bought my evo was because I got into road racing. I've been in a couple of evos just like mine on the road course and a 35R evo that was only running 100oct on the same track. Obviously the 35R evo pulled in the straights, but riding with more experienced drivers was just as fun either way.

I'm saying this: Want to be a drag king? The 35R will rock you. Still makes me smile every time I bury the throttle. Wanna enjoy life more than 15 seconds at a time? ...get better at driving first, then get the 35R

Either way, Enjoy!
Old Oct 19, 2007, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

If you go stroker, you can even autocross a 35R. This caqn be done with no problem.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by LT1runner
If you go stroker, you can even autocross a 35R. This caqn be done with no problem.
Eh....You'd be fighting the **** out of the car the whole time...it would be driving you.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Anything can be "done", but there isn't a serious autocrosser anywhere in the country that uses a 35r, regardless of the size motor they run.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 05:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My plan has always been to run a stroker with the 35r, as you do give up a little.. Since I'll be running exclusively E85, I decided to wait on putting in a stroker motor until after I move, and after the fuel is more available as I want to run higher compression too.

About the numbers.. It depends heavily on your dyno, but over 600 is definitely doable on some form of race gas (possibly even E85 with the right supporting mods) over 400 is easily achieved on pump and a very conservative tune, 500 is even possible on pump if your a bit more aggressive, but easy to hit with pump and alky injection.

The turbo isn't really the limiting factor, for most of these kits, they can put down big numbers without pushing them beyond their limits. However its important to point out that there is more to making this power than bolting on a big turbo and a few supporting mods.. Its all about your combination, you still want the least restrictions, proper fueling, proper tuning, etc..

Which is why you will frequently see kits that don't put down the expected numbers, its not so much the kit, though the proper sized housings, are a factor when your dealing with a small displacement engine. The header design is not as big a factor until you nitpick and want to eek the last bit of power, then tubular, equal length, etc are a factor.

Lag is still a factor, but its really not noticable unless you do alot of autocrossing where you need that torque down low and immediately, thats why the best autoxers are sticking with stock turbos, or variants.

What I do like about my personal experience with the buschur kit was it was a fairly easy install (I wasn't rushed, and was able to do a few other mods at the same time) I have always preferred using a cast manifold over tubular. I have never seen a daily driven car with tubular headers or turbo kits that didn't eventually have a weld crack over time. It has nothing to do with the quality of the product your buying, but heat cycling and stress will eventually find the weakest points and crack at those points.

The ultimate decision is yours, there was a time I would have stayed away from anything but a stock appearing turbo. I had a goal to run high 10's on my stock setup (which I did eventually do... Once..) But on the street, driving a 35r car really isn't that bad, the only time you notice it is when your not in a gear that lets the turbo spool.

My attitude when I got the 35r, besides the buschur kit being a seriously good deal, was if I'm going to get an aftermarket turbo, I'll get the biggest one commonly available at the time, and just work through the learning curve with it. Heck, the 35r is now considered a "street turbo" for an Evo.. Thats just obscene as its considered "too big" by most other 4 cylinder engine guys. Though the v8 guys like them (or their size equivalent) on twin turbo setups.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
Anything can be "done", but there isn't a serious autocrosser anywhere in the country that uses a 35r, regardless of the size motor they run.
You can autocross a 35R with a stroker no problem. That's easier than "done". With a stroker mind you. Who says you have to drive the car at the top of your power level. I autocrossed my evo with a 30R and the RPM level you stay at, you're good with the HTA35R as well. You'll have power whenever you want it. Just turn the boost down to 16-18psi. You don't have to autocross at 21,26, or 35 psi. Come on people. The HTA35R with 2.3ltr is an easy autocross combo. It's comparable to a 2.0 with a 30R on an autocross circuit.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

So I'm doing a ets 35r kit full upper and ic piping, buschur race front mount intercooler,ams1000cc injectors,twin fuel pump, buschur cop ignition, buschur 2.3 stroker,aem ems,cusco twin disc,280 cams etc etc. getting built and tuned by buschur. what kind of power do you think i should expect?????? oh yea smc methanol injection also.........
Old Oct 20, 2007, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Very interesting info guys.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

How many of you are running an aftermarket ignition? I was told that the stock Evo ignition starts to break up at around 26 or more psi. Any truth to that?
Old Oct 20, 2007, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
You can autocross a 35R with a stroker no problem. That's easier than "done". With a stroker mind you. Who says you have to drive the car at the top of your power level. I autocrossed my evo with a 30R and the RPM level you stay at, you're good with the HTA35R as well. You'll have power whenever you want it. Just turn the boost down to 16-18psi. You don't have to autocross at 21,26, or 35 psi. Come on people. The HTA35R with 2.3ltr is an easy autocross combo. It's comparable to a 2.0 with a 30R on an autocross circuit.
You've completely missed the point. You can autocross anything you choose, a GT42 at 50 psi, the stocker at 5 psi, whatever. But, there isn't any serious autocrosser in the country, in fact, probably the world, that runs a turbo as large as a GT35 for autocrossing.

Very simply, THE GT35 IS A TERRIBLE TURBO FOR AUTOCROSSING. I'm not saying you won't have fun doing it, but if you're serious about autocrossing, you need to look at something else.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

I heard stock ignition will start being affected at 500 hpish. i dont think on 26 lbs of boost. i was running 28-29psi and it was fine. I will be running and recommend the buschur c.o.p. ignition little costly but well worth it. running tons of boost and meth.. no misfires will be sweet at 30+ lbs of boost
Old Oct 20, 2007, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NYEvoguy
How many of you are running an aftermarket ignition? I was told that the stock Evo ignition starts to break up at around 26 or more psi. Any truth to that?
Most of us around here that run big turbos, I have a 35, are using the HKS DLI 2 because we experienced ignition problems. However, if I had to do it over again, I would look at getting a COP system and probably the one on Ebay that has been reviewed very favorably here on EVOm.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

yea you can get the ebay one with a little wire splicing or keep it simple and go buschur for 100 bucks more or some change....
Old Oct 20, 2007, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
You've completely missed the point. You can autocross anything you choose, a GT42 at 50 psi, the stocker at 5 psi, whatever. But, there isn't any serious autocrosser in the country, in fact, probably the world, that runs a turbo as large as a GT35 for autocrossing.

Very simply, THE GT35 IS A TERRIBLE TURBO FOR AUTOCROSSING. I'm not saying you won't have fun doing it, but if you're serious about autocrossing, you need to look at something else.

I understood what you're saying. This must also be true with a 30R\2.0 combo as well.

Quick Reply: To all GT35r turbo owners