Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

only 15-17psi of boost???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2003, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar problem with low boost. I was only getting about 15 to 17 psi and thinking what the hell is going on? I drove around for about 15 minutes trying to think what the problem could be. Then, I remember. I'm such a stupidass, I was on low boost. Switched to high and it was 22psi to redline. I didn't bother to check if the boost controller was set on high boost.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Kevin,

Just to let you know...Jim was fired yesterday. The new service manager is Rick Miller...he is a good guy with more knowledge about cars. Also, don't sweat the boost. Humidity and heat in this area sucks and has alot to do with the problem. You also need to remember that 19 PSI is peak, running at max efficiency. Our cars will almost never run at max efficiency with everyday driving. If you really want to see if you can get 19 PSI....disconnect the battery for about 20 min or so. So the ecu will reset. Then connect it back and see if it peaks out at 19. It may or may not. The preprogrammed maps that mitsu loads into the ecu may not allow the car to run 19 psi right off the bat. It may not let it do it till it learns what kind of gas you have through knock and things of this sort. Also, again, you must remember that 19 psi is peak that mitsu lists. So chances are you may never hit it. If you really want to make sure you get it...buy a boost controller. But anyway give me a call sometime. I saw you yesterday by the way...I just had my wife in the car so the windows were up. So you may not have seen my hand.

jake
Old Jul 17, 2003, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

No, he should be easily able to hit 19Psi.. I have had no problems hitting it any time i want.. And currently hit 19psi on a very regular basis.

It does not stay at 19 long though. Take it in and get it checked out.. it is most likely a leak somewhere. or possibly a bad solenoid from the factory boost controller.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

hey whats up jay. yeah i saw your hand man. i also waved back.
man your car is always clean. looked really good.
yeah i found that jim is no longer with the dealer this morning when i went to get the car checked. what did he do??
he seemed like a nice guy.

anyways, i totally understand your point but i've resetted the ecu about 3 times now after the boost gauge installed and have been constantly getting no more than 15-17lbs of boost.
i've taken the car in before to get it checked because it felt like i wasnt getting full boost. this was before the boost gauge install.
i think you should come and drive my car after you drive yours and see if there is any difference.
i am going to be at work til around 7pm. i'll give you a call later though jay.

also, rick is going to get a boost gauge from somewhere and test if i am leaking or getting full boost on friday. i really hope that it's just my gauge is inaccurate.
anyways, sorry for the long post. i'll let you go now man.
later.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

My Autometer mechanical boost gauge is steady at 10 when warming up and it "wiggles" around 8-10 vacuum when idling. The gauge is on 3.5 psi when the car is off. I know this can't be normal. What could be the problem? I will triple check my car today to make sure its not any minor kinks/bends/leaks.

STI

Last edited by BadBoyBeltran; Jul 17, 2003 at 11:09 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by BadBoyBeltran
My Autometer mechanical boost gauge is steady at 10 when warming up and it "wiggles" around 8-10 vacuum when idling. The gauge is on 3.5 psi when the car is off. I know this can't be normal. What could be the problem? I will triple check my car today to make sure its not any minor kinks/bends/leaks.

STI

This is normal of autometer gauges.. They usually sit ~2-3in/vacuum when the car is off.. and are off quite often too.. The jumping needle is not normal though. Maybe you just got a crappy one? Autometers are not great but they should be more then good enough.

-Zach
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Can you say it is still accurately reading boost? I have an MBC and I do not want to overboost or underboost my precious....

Also, it sits on 3-4 psi, not vacuum.

STI
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

If you want to know i would return it to stock.. See what boost it hits on that gauge.. usually 19psi.. then adjust your mbc to about the same point. So then you would be hitting 19 till redline which you really probably shouldnt be going over.

-Zach
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks. I thought about returning it to stock, but theres just too much work involved, specially I know I have to take of the bottom panel of the car since I dropped some clamps and a T fitting down there, not to mention one of the screw things on the intake scoop. Ive been putting off getting a cone filter, but I guess buying one will save me a lot of hassle with my MBC!!!
Old Jul 17, 2003, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BadBoyBeltran

STI
Does it read off when the guage is not connected or does it zero out when you unhook it from the boost/vacume source?
Old Jul 17, 2003, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

kevin,

Just to let you know.....my name is Jake.....don't worry...happens all the time...I'll say my name and people will be like..."well, nice to meet you jay".....then I'm like JAAAAKKKKE....as in Jacob. Don't sweat it....happens all the time....but yeah I am curious as to what I am hitting...but seriously I am really not all that worried about it. I will be more when I start modding it. Also though not all the evos will be exactly like the next. Who knows though...I hope you get it worked out
Old Jul 17, 2003, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by mad_VIII

Does it read off when the guage is not connected or does it zero out when you unhook it from the boost/vacume source?
It was zeroing out before, but it just started doing this out of nowhere. I will work and it tomorrow and post what my finds are. Thanks for the help.

STI
Old Jul 20, 2003, 07:02 PM
Account Disabled

Mine never its the 19 PSI neither, methinks that is just how the car runs, I have the Mitsu gauge too, so IT MUST BE PERFECT, RIGHT?

I think after a grounding kit and a MBC all will be fixed.

Anybody fix this problem yet?
Old Jul 22, 2003, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

problem solved.
I rechecked the bypass valve clamps again and i guess it was not tight enough.

the vacum hose was not pinched or anything which is good cuz other wise it would've made me look like an ***.

on first gear it hits around 16lbs of boost but pretty much everywhere else its around 18.5 - 19lbs of boost.

now can sleep ok.
make sure all of you with evos get a boost gauge at least to see how many lbs you guys are getting.
or make sure you tighten the bypass valve (bov) hose clamps.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

oh BTW, thnx for the suggestions and help guys. especially Zyoungker.
thanx again man.

Quick Reply: only 15-17psi of boost???