Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Who runs Open Dump Tube off of your external wastegate? Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who runs Open Dump Tube off of your external wastegate? Experiences?

I am thinking about running the external dump off of the wastegate... what is every one's thoughts about this compared to recirculating all of the air into the 02 housing? Does it sound relatively good or just flat out annoying and obnoxious?

please let me know (:

thank you!
Old Nov 25, 2007, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it gets annoying on a street car, but on the track I picked up a few MPH from switching from recirulating to the external dump
Old Nov 25, 2007, 01:23 AM
Evolving Member

I am open to atmosphere and it is ridiculous loud, I don't like it and I plan on changing the situation soon!
Old Nov 25, 2007, 01:24 AM
Evolved Member

Just to let you know.. I am look for opinions on a daily drive street car.

thanks for your input fimotorsports!
Old Nov 25, 2007, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

I run an open dump and its really loud on boost. if you want to keep it semi quiet get a recirculating o2
Old Nov 25, 2007, 05:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeh, same here, its pretty loud when it opens.. I don't care for how loud it is, but my whole exhaust is pretty loud and its kinda getting a bit annoying listening to the droning on long drives. The dump isn't so bad if you don't get on it enough for it to open very often in daily driving.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 05:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
I wonder if you could fabricate a removable flanged pipe to recirculate and then remove it (and put a block off plate on the main exhaust) at the track?

Another thing I've wondered is whether when you have an open dump on the wastegate, does that negate the need for an open TBE (except with respect to spool up)? In other words, can you have a large turbo car with tons of top end that is stock-like quiet off boost?
Old Nov 25, 2007, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

The only time it will be loud is when you are mashing on the throttle and building full boost. Outside of that you can still drive normal and be quiet while still building decent boost without the gate opening on ya.

I dont know what kinda turbo u are using but Slowboy offers the Hafe o2 housing that can utilize a bolt on recurculating tube and a block off plate. This housing is a t3 4 bolt flange housing with a stock style flange at the downpipe
Old Nov 25, 2007, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it sounds cool. But my car just feels ridiculously loud overall =\
Old Nov 25, 2007, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by staatz
I think it sounds cool. But my car just feels ridiculously loud overall =\
+2
Old Nov 25, 2007, 06:47 AM
Account Disabled

I'm doing the BR HTA 35R + tubular mani soon and the open dump is going to bug the hell out of me I'm afraid

I think I'm going to look into running the open dump into the down pipe and have a flange in the middle so the halves can be separated if I need to drop the exhaust or pull the turbo later.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

I love it, it sounds like a screaming jet. It also depends on what turbo you have mine doesnt open untill 5,500, so in town driving you will be as quiet as your cat back exhaust can make you. However at WOT stand by for the fury.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Another thing I've wondered is whether when you have an open dump on the wastegate, does that negate the need for an open TBE (except with respect to spool up)? In other words, can you have a large turbo car with tons of top end that is stock-like quiet off boost?

You can do that if you are running lower boost. It will hurt spool a bit, but once the wastegate opens you wouldn't be losing much. When you are running high boost you aren't dumping much through the wastegate, so you could be causing some backpressure with your quiet exhaust.

-Paul
Old Nov 25, 2007, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

I have an external gt35r and I love it. When I want to be noticed I'll open it but other then that you can keep the boost down and drive normaly with out being too loud. All depends on your right foot!
Old Nov 25, 2007, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

it only screams when you hit fullboost, but watchout people can hear you coming from a distance. It also intimidates v8 owners quickly. I had a z28 try to mess with me on the highway and as soon as he heard my dump tube, to backed off quick.
they scare people walking down the sidewalk, now thats funny.

Quick Reply: Who runs Open Dump Tube off of your external wastegate? Experiences?