Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

dipstick coming out

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2007, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The cause of the spring popping out is crankcase pressure. The rubber seal on the dipstick over time gets smaller and more brittle from the heat of the engine. When this happens it pops out easier and easier. Compounding the problem is the ring seal getting worse with mileage and generally higher boost pressures.

The spring fixes it, obviously we don't get rich selling them and CBRD doesn't get rich from o-rings.

The spring we make, should not fall off though as was said earlier. It is bent in such a way that when you put it on the dipstick bracket it should not fall off. I also can't understand having to use a set of pliers on it, it's not a brake spring and isn't really that stiff. Maybe my hands have just toughened from punching walls and my desk over the years! haha

Anyway, either will work but there's why it happens.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:17 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
The cause of the spring popping out is crankcase pressure. The rubber seal on the dipstick over time gets smaller and more brittle from the heat of the engine. When this happens it pops out easier and easier. Compounding the problem is the ring seal getting worse with mileage and generally higher boost pressures.

The spring fixes it, obviously we don't get rich selling them and CBRD doesn't get rich from o-rings.

The spring we make, should not fall off though as was said earlier. It is bent in such a way that when you put it on the dipstick bracket it should not fall off. I also can't understand having to use a set of pliers on it, it's not a brake spring and isn't really that stiff. Maybe my hands have just toughened from punching walls and my desk over the years! haha

come on dave, you know im funding my time attack car with o-ring sales LOL!!

I know your spring money goes directly into the black car lol

cb
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i sent a message to you chad about the o rings but never got a response back I was wondering where i could purchase them your site is down
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

i would do a compression test this sarted happening to me when i fried my piston rings
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
717-751-2345
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Amazingly enough, you can make a very good knockoff of the Buschur spring kit at Home Depot, Lowes, or your local hardware store. But shhhhh...... don't tell anyone
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

And at $3.59 a gallon, I can stay home and open the door for the UPS guy, with my $2.50 O-ring or $5.00 spring. Time is money and gas is not cheap.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bluebyu36
i would do a compression test this sarted happening to me when i fried my piston rings
I agree... the dipstick popping out is also a sign of blow-by. The compression test will make sure that your piston rings are still good.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 06:41 PM
Account Disabled

im sorry guys,

we have never been a "retail" company, and my follow up SUCKS!! but im trying!!

email me at chad@cbrdspeedfactory.com

cb
Old Dec 10, 2007, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

I don't understand how boost can cause this on a normally operating engine. Normal, I mean the following isn't happening:
  1. Pvc check valve sticking open
  2. blocked MAF pipe outlet on rocker cover
  3. blowby

Shouldn't sump pressure stay the same regardless of boost?
Old Dec 10, 2007, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

I could be wrong, but I want to say these are the reasons this can happen while nothing inherently is wrong:

a) more boost and more power = more cylinder pressure

b) longer stroke engines might disturb the crankcase more

c) forged engines made with looser tolerances than stock motors

d) o-ring on dipstick becomes loose over the years

Now I'm quite unsure about point A. In a perfectly setup stock motor... is there ANY blowby across the rings? I'd have to think there is _some_.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur

The spring doesn't fall off. It just gets stuck at the bottom sometimes when I unhook it from the top and it gets away from me causing it to slingshot to the bottom . Thats all me though. The spring itself works fine.