Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS Tests: The New EVO AccessPort

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when will this be available for us to use?
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tkklemann
Once a few more things (features) for ECUFlash are available, how will this compare to ECUFlash.

It seems as though this is a lot of money to be able to tune the stock ECU when ECUFlash, EVOScan and a Tactrix cable can be had for $125.

Map switching should be available soon (Without a laptop), Evoscan displays stuff on a screen (Laptop), we have a valet mode (Doesn't need a laptop to put it in valet mode), and we can also disable some items that cause check engine lights. What is the real benefits?

Disclaimer: I am not trying to knock Accessport, just trying to figure out what the real differences are between Accessport and ECUFlash/EVOScan.
AP, is not for everyone by any means. Like I said in the post above it does have a few specific benefits that ECUFlash can't currently offer to either the tuner OR the end user.

While development for the open source tuning has been awesome and we have all enjoyed the benefits of a few individuals hard work, the fact of the matter is, for the AP, there is a team of people working for you when you buy an AP. They are paid to ensure that functions will work correctly with your AP and they are not on a 'try at your own risk, I am not responcible for any damage' basis.

While eventually the features of each may even be very similar, everyone who owns an EVO is not willing to try, or even has the appropriate knowledge to carry out some of the modifications that are required to use the open source route for some options.

Part, or most of the cost of the AP you a buying is basically the hand held car computer that comes with it. This is something that CAN'T be done with out AP obviously.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:27 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris@AMS

This car is equipped with AMS FMIC, AMS turbo back exhaust, AMS Licp, Filter + adapter, and of course the new EVO AccessPort. Theblue run is stock and the green run is Tuned with AP.
When you say the blue run is stock, is that with mods and no tune or stock as in the the dyno from before the mods? Those are some impressive gains with just a tune.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 90GSXDan
Is this pretty much the DSMlink for Evo's? Does it work like a DSMLink where you need to swap chips and then plug a laptop into the diagnostic port to tune?

Would you be able to tune like Mellon or Jestr with email flashes/logs?

Thanks,
Dan

The tuning aspect of the AP is about the same for Open ECU, we still will not offer email based flashing, for optimal results on a vehicle.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mr.paick
AMS,
i have a question....when you say the blue line is stock, does that mean the car was stock ecu or completely stock in terms of bolt ons and ecu?
i just want to clear up my confusion
thanks!

also, if it is stock motor and ecu, how much power gains were there only off tune?
TIA
The blue line includes all of the mods that are currently installed on the car.

The only thing that changed in between the two runs was the tune.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

just wonderin is this compatable with jdm evo's (specifically the evo VII) like ecuflash is?
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:44 AM
Former Sponsor

AP currently only supports the USDM based vehicles.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The blue line includes all of the mods that are currently installed on the car.

The only thing that changed in between the two runs was the tune.
Hey chris... how you been ?

any chance you guys can post up a car with an access port tune, vs the same car with an ecuflash tune ? .... i think most of us would be really interested in seeing the differences.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:50 AM

this is an evo 9? Why do some IX's make around 330awhp off a turboback and reflash, yet this has a fmic, tbe, AP and it makes what the 8's make off the same mods...
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

AP, is not for everyone by any means. Like I said in the post above it does have a few specific benefits that ECUFlash can't currently offer to either the tuner OR the end user.

While development for the open source tuning has been awesome and we have all enjoyed the benefits of a few individuals hard work, the fact of the matter is, for the AP, there is a team of people working for you when you buy an AP. They are paid to ensure that functions will work correctly with your AP and they are not on a 'try at your own risk, I am not responcible for any damage' basis.

While eventually the features of each may even be very similar, everyone who owns an EVO is not willing to try, or even has the appropriate knowledge to carry out some of the modifications that are required to use the open source route for some options.

Part, or most of the cost of the AP you a buying is basically the hand held car computer that comes with it. This is something that CAN'T be done with out AP obviously.

Very nice reply....

Maybe since I always have my nose in my laptop playing with ECUFlash and Evoscan, I forget that there are people out there that don't do that!
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bigric09

any chance you guys can post up a car with an access port tune, vs the same car with an ecuflash tune ? .... i think most of us would be really interested in seeing the differences.
The numbers will be the same. Either method will allow you to extract the same amount of hp from the car, depending on the user's competence.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SeductiveMR
this is an evo 9? Why do some IX's make around 330awhp off a turboback and reflash, yet this has a fmic, tbe, AP and it makes what the 8's make off the same mods...
These are regular/good numbers for the mod combo on this car on our dyno. You must be compairing numbers from another dyno to ours.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

THE COBB ProTune Software is similiar to open source stuff....I've heard maybe a few more tables could be changed with the COBB software....but either way I don't think any car modded with an ECUflash tune would make more or less power if switched over the the COBB Pro-Tune custom map.

essentially they are just tuning devices...it is the mods that ultimately make power and the tune that brings it out........
Old Dec 13, 2007, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i realize what the access port is and does, and im familiar with the software... what i was hoping to see is if it was giving any noticeable tuning benefits to people who actually use ecuflash themselves, know what they are doing and if the port software was telling them to do anything different then what evoscan and map tracer has been doing. Also seeing if there is anything in the mix that would make this a good purchase for someone like me
Old Dec 13, 2007, 02:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
i realize what the access port is and does, and im familiar with the software... what i was hoping to see is if it was giving any noticeable tuning benefits to people who actually use ecuflash themselves, know what they are doing and if the port software was telling them to do anything different then what evoscan and map tracer has been doing. Also seeing if there is anything in the mix that would make this a good purchase for someone like me
Currently, real-time tuning with Pro Tuner is the big advantage on the tuning side compared to ecuflash. Of course this doesn't mean much for the general crowd until Street Tuner is released.

Quick Reply: AMS Tests: The New EVO AccessPort