Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Which data logger do you use?
Pocket Logger
46.67%
Auto tap
26.67%
Another product
20.00%
nothing, who cares what\'s going on in there anyway?
6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Data logging

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2003, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Data logging

I just purchased (have not received it yet) a Pocket Logger. It's supposed to keep track of a number of engine functions or parameters via the OBD2 socket and log them into a PDA (I have an IBM C3).

I wonder how many of you are data logging, what you use to do it and what have you found out?

I'd like to hear some results and maybe even see some screen captures or printouts.

Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2003, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Anybody else care to chime in?
Old Jul 21, 2003, 01:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM EMS and a laptop, but I don't drive an Evo.

The Evo's should be available in the nearish future and hopefully a reply will get the ball rolling.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Nothing yet, I used some shareware/freeware and the cable they sell for my ford along with a loptop that has since died of old age. THe cable I have is only for fors and a few others, not the iso cable.

There is a new one out now that you program with the pc as well as pulldata, but the unit it self is standalone when logging and is very small. Can't think of the name right now though.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Question where is the OBDII plug?

Well, my Pocket logger came in today. I gotta go home and set the whole thing up. I do have a question though...
Wherte is the OBDII plug in the EVO?

Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Plug is located on the driver's side adjacent to the steering column. Do some WOT runs in 3rd or 4th for logging from 2k rpms on. Must be WOT to go open loop. Bounce of the rev limiter if you can too.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Does anyone know of good OBD II Software that can be used in a laptop ? I need the cable as well. I found some awsome software via a company called Nology but theirs is only for PDAs and I want to use my laptop.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by n00dle
Plug is located on the driver's side adjacent to the steering column. Do some WOT runs in 3rd or 4th for logging from 2k rpms on. Must be WOT to go open loop. Bounce of the rev limiter if you can too.
Thanks, I appreciate it... The WOT runs are gonna be difficult. I'm always dreading the cops pulling me over... They just don't understand that I need to do it for tuning purposes I'll see what happens if I accelerate pretty hard getting in the expressway and keep my finges crossed
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by tpm17
Does anyone know of good OBD II Software that can be used in a laptop ? I need the cable as well. I found some awsome software via a company called Nology but theirs is only for PDAs and I want to use my laptop.
Go to the DSM forums: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Super-AFC-DSM and http://www.vfaq.com look for vendors and "good guys" there are some guys who have lots of neat stuff like that...
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

WOT assures open loop. However, the car goes into open loop way before WOT. I haven't done any extensive research but it seems to be about 25-30% throttle.

Heres how to verify this. O2 voltages will be very "bouncy" during closed loop. So, just slowly depress the throttle from 0 to 100%. Graph throttle position and O2 voltages. Wherever the O2 voltages settle down, your in open loop control.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

the reason for going WOT is to log the O2 voltage and fuel trims open loop. You can see if it's running lean or rich, ignition timing retard and advance, etc. Comes in handy when you start to mod. Get a good stock baseline log so you can always go back to it for reference. You can only log up to 12 parameters at a time IIRC. Air intake temp, water temp, fuel trims, o2, timing, MAF are a few of the ones you want to log.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

the reason for going WOT is to log the O2 voltage and fuel trims open loop.
Why would you want to measure fuel trims during WOT? At WOT your in open loop control and the fuel trims do not get changed. Maybe I'm missing something here.

BTW... I did a little research and found out that the long term fuel trims(LTFT) are used during open loop control. But the LTFT is not adjusted during open loop control.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by AutoXer

Why would you want to measure fuel trims during WOT? At WOT your in open loop control and the fuel trims do not get changed. Maybe I'm missing something here.

BTW... I did a little research and found out that the long term fuel trims(LTFT) are used during open loop control. But the LTFT is not adjusted during open loop control.
Excuse the ignorance, but what are the LTFTs? what do they do, are those the ones changed by the SAFC or other fuel controllers?
Old Jul 24, 2003, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

LTFT = long term fuel trim

Do a little research on OBDII computers. You should find some interesting information on LTFTs and STFTs(short term fuel trims).

I think that the only thing altered by an AFC is the MAS signal. It only affects this signal whenever the engine is in open loop control.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

OK, it worls! Now, how to I view the results? It's hard to view the log from the litle screen in the PDA... the biggest problem is that the scrolling is very difficult to do with precision.

I did find something very interesting. The rpm reported by the pocketlogger is much closer to the car's tach than the rpm displayed by the SAFC2, so much for the "tach is wrong" theory

I have not noticed the timing being pulled too much, but I'm not sure yet...

Quick Reply: Data logging