Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Which data logger do you use?
Pocket Logger
46.67%
Auto tap
26.67%
Another product
20.00%
nothing, who cares what\'s going on in there anyway?
6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Data logging

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2003, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With DSMs, PDAs are great to use with the Pocket Logger software... the key is to "tune" places that are sparcly populated, and at odd hours so that you trully limit the chances of running into the authorities and or other people.

I usually make a "pull" and then pull over and review the results... its too dificult to try and drive AND read the PDA/laptop at the same time.

Like I've said, the best mod I ever bought was the datalogger. If you don't have one, you have NO CLUE what you, the car, the weather, your mods are doing (unless you have an AWD dyno you use often).
Old Jul 25, 2003, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by silverEVO8
OK, it worls! Now, how to I view the results? It's hard to view the log from the litle screen in the PDA... the biggest problem is that the scrolling is very difficult to do with precision.

I did find something very interesting. The rpm reported by the pocketlogger is much closer to the car's tach than the rpm displayed by the SAFC2, so much for the "tach is wrong" theory

I have not noticed the timing being pulled too much, but I'm not sure yet...
Join this forum if you haven't yet.
http://pocketlogger.com/forum/index.php

Download the Java viewer to see a graph of you logs or view the data.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by n00dle

Join this forum if you haven't yet.
http://pocketlogger.com/forum/index.php

Download the Java viewer to see a graph of you logs or view the data.
I downloaded a java viewer, but I'm not sure how to make it work.... I couldn't find it after I downloaded it. I think there is something wrong or I need more stuff to make it work. Also, how do I get the data logs off the PDA? I mean, where are they?
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

You need to hotsync your PDA. the files then go to the Palm's back up folder. Look in there.
Old Jul 26, 2003, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by n00dle
You need to hotsync your PDA. the files then go to the Palm's back up folder. Look in there.
Thanks man, I appreciate your help. It's very good to have patient, helpful folks around when you need them

Now, if only the vendors would be as helpful...
Old Jul 28, 2003, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

OK, thanks to all your help, I got the java viewer installed (I needed to install Java 2 also..) Anyway, I've been looking at the graphs, and I see some very interesting (but not so encouraging) things. The ECU pulls lots of timing at certain times. It looks like the biggest timing pulls are when the TPS is highest and the rpm are coming up. I think it's when the car is "bogging down" a bit. Funny, the timing is going all over the place with the car just cruising around 3K - 3.3K rpm...

I definitely think that the data logging is a very important tool for tuning. I don't see how I ever thought I could even start tuning without it.... I can see now that my next "test 'n tune" vist to the dragstrip is going to be test and tune for real

I'm also waiting impatiently for my EGT and boost gauges. I think that with these items I have a very good chance of tuning the SAFC2 successfully. Thanks guys for all the good help!
Old Sep 25, 2003, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by silverEVO8
Funny, the timing is going all over the place with the car just cruising around 3K - 3.3K rpm...
Thats because your on and off the throttle. The Evo seams to be all over the place during cruising/normal driving. Timing should be looked at during "pulls". During a WOT "pull", timing should be nice and smooth. Do pulls from about 2kRPM to redline in 3rd gear.

BTW... O2 readings are the same way... all over the place when your cruising. Look at them during pulls as well.