Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

very loud noises/vibrations coming from engine bay after service work

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2008, 01:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
very loud noises/vibrations coming from engine bay after service work

okay, i got an Exedy stage 1 clutch, timing belt, balance shaft belt, and alternator belt put in yesterday. i haven't really taken the car over 3-4k because i'm breaking in the clutch so i didn't notice any weird noises. well earlier today i took it up higher and at about 4.5k it makes a loud rattling noise, and there's a lot of vibration coming from the front of the car and transmitting through the shifter, and all 3 pedals. it continues making the noise until the rpms drop below 4k or so. anything higher than 4.5k and the noise is very noticeable, and not one of the normal engine noises. any ideas what this could be? i looked in the engine bay while having the engine revved to see if i could see anything touching, moving, banging, or anything that could cause it, but everything looks normal.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When they installed your timing belt one of the balance shafts went out of phase causing the car to vibrate like that. It could be the balance shaft on the oil pump or the other seperate one. Take it back and tell them to do it right.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 09:16 AM
Former Sponsor

its the balance shaft. give me a call, i'll get it fixed. i thought we revved it up far enough to notice that. the gear must have spun on me while doing it.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Definately the balance shaft 180 out. Common mistake while doing a timing belt job. No biggie they'll fix it up for you
Old Jan 1, 2008, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

that was the first thing i said too...just don't know how to fix it lol glad that's all it is.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

just wanted to say thanks Kevin for getting everything fixed right away for me. i really appreciate it. the car and the clutch both feel great. i did however play with the clutch more today to get a feel for the engagement point, and it is toward the top...higher than stock. pedal adjustment should fix that huh? i'll probably take care of that sometime tomorrow...in the garage...with the space heater running haha
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Balance shaft! Based on all what you said
I had the same problem before when AL(dynoflash) tuned me. AL even said he is 99.9% that it was my balance shaft thats making the vibrtion! Let them adjust it.