Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The Perfect / Ideal WHP Number for Road Track Racing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2008, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Perfect / Ideal WHP Number for Road Track Racing

Hey everyone...

I am potentially going to purchase a IX MR to begin road racing. My intent is to use it for road course racing on a track and NOT a drag strip. I know that a ton of power is no good with cornering and only makes it more difficult to accelerate through the apexes at WOT properly and as quickly as possible.

So, theoretically, what is the ideally perfect horsepower number (in WHP) for road course racing on a track?

Just curious... Thanks!

Last edited by _EVOlved_; Jan 4, 2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice to see more evo owners tracking their cars on road courses. I think there are alot of variables in addition to horsepower that need to be accounted for. Durability, cooling, power delivery....

There is a sticky just a few lines above your post

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=91203

this should be a good start for what your looking for.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I know its excessive but AMS has around 600 for there track car
Old Jan 3, 2008, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Too much power but not enough suspension to support it. you can't really push the car unless you have the right balance of both. A better way would be concentrating on the suspension instead worry how fast you are going on the the straight. But it all comes down to you as a driver "experience"

You can't max use of your power with ****ty suspension.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

K&N Drop in, TBE and a tune should get you to 300 whp. Then spend your money on track time and tires and keep track of you lap times (MyChon lap timer). Run street tires and get an aggressive alignment and when you can't better your times up grade your suspension and brake pads.

My buddies and I all have the same hp but they think that I have more but it's only b/c I getting better drive off the corners.

Driver Mods are the best Mods.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

I'd say 350-450whp is ideal. More is fine if you have the suspension to support it.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Depends on your intent.

Is the ultimate aim to set records at tracks you visit? Or are you just going there for fun?

If it is for record setting, then there is no such thing as 'ideal' power level. You want the most you can as long as your chassis/suspension/tire/cooling system can support and that you have the skill to handle the power and torque at any given situation.

Look at Le Mans and F1 races back in the past when they had no power caps, some machines had like 1500-2000hp!!!
Old Jan 3, 2008, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4Trouble
Depends on your intent.

Is the ultimate aim to set records at tracks you visit? Or are you just going there for fun?

If it is for record setting, then there is no such thing as 'ideal' power level. You want the most you can as long as your chassis/suspension/tire/cooling system can support and that you have the skill to handle the power and torque at any given situation.

Look at Le Mans and F1 races back in the past when they had no power caps, some machines had like 1500-2000hp!!!
Very good info guys. Thanks a ton.

This is just for fun. I am just your average enthusiast thats all...
Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no ideal HP, because you can have as much or as little as you want depending on what you need and how well the car is developed. If you're doing it for "fun" as an average enthusiast, then I don't understand how you're doing a "road race project." A project means you're going far and beyond the average enthusiast. Have you put a lot of thought into this? Do you suddenly have the funds to build a road race IX in addition to your own car when you have no experience with road racing?
Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
There is no ideal HP, because you can have as much or as little as you want depending on what you need and how well the car is developed. If you're doing it for "fun" as an average enthusiast, then I don't understand how you're doing a "road race project." A project means you're going far and beyond the average enthusiast. Have you put a lot of thought into this? Do you suddenly have the funds to build a road race IX in addition to your own car when you have no experience with road racing?

whoa its a ghost!!!
Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
O boy some things will never change. I come back to the forums after a break to the same bashing Clay...

I sold the RS I had. I will not have 2. I am pondering on purchasing another one and worrying less about power and making into a track car. I have been doing my homework on road racing...
Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did not bash. I just know you and know that this is not up your alley. Making a new Evo into a track car is one thing. Doing a few mods to make it better on track is quite another. I do not think it's in your best interests to build a "road race project car," but there's nothing wrong with getting on track. I would highly suggest getting lots of experience on track with the car in 100% stock form other than minor brake component upgrades (pads, fluid, SS lines). Then, after you've moved up the ranks, gained experience, gained confidence, learned how to actually drive (we all go through this), then you can decide exactly how you want to "build" your car. $10k triple adjustable Penskes with a widebody kit and 315-width slicks or $800 Megans with 140-rated street tires? There's no way you can answer that right now.

As for having been doing homework, your initial comments lead me to believe otherwise. That whole line about "more difficult to accelerate through the apexes at WOT properly and as quickly as possible"...eh, sounds like regurgitation from someone who doesn't really know much as opposed to true understanding of the sport, because it didn't make sense.

Lastly, this is not the Motorsports forum - that's down below and is where you want to be.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
I know its excessive but AMS has around 600 for there track car
actually its not that excessive! Norris Design and RC developemnts run simliar power levels for there track cars here.

Chris.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve@TopLevelAuto
whoa its a ghost!!!
Damn, you beat me to it...
Old Jan 4, 2008, 09:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by _EVOlved_
So, theoretically, what is the ideally perfect horsepower number (in WHP) for road course racing on a track?

Quick Reply: The Perfect / Ideal WHP Number for Road Track Racing