Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ix cams po11 code

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2008, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
The timing belt will also have some slack at a certain point in rotation and be tight at another point in rotation. Don't pull your hair out.

Are you 100% sure you have the balance shaft in phase? Although it probably wouldn't run so hot.
honestly i have no idea ... the whole let the oil pump gear fall one way and it tells u where it is sounds kinda weird but mine doesn't move unless it is acted on by turning it or the belt ..... and my some slack is about mmm almost 1/2 inch in between the cam gears ... thats not going to work

Originally Posted by topturtle
Is the tensioner keeping a constant tension on the belt? Keeping all the slack out of it. That might be why the car is throwing for the code. It should be 1/2 inch extension length on the tensioner rod. With between 22 to 44 pound of force on the rod it should not exceed .04 inches of movement.
we got the tool today to tighten it more than we could with the tool we made so we got it and tighten it as best that we could its kinda hard to hold it and tighten the bolt .... but it was tight ... spun the motor till everything was at tdc again(including oil pump mark) tightened the belt again... it was tight as we could see getting it .... it was even tight when i parked it (left the cover off)

Originally Posted by Mellon
I just sent Troy an updated version of the ROM with bone stock timing and VVT maps. He's going to reset the ecu and give it a whirl. Maybe we'll learn something.

thanks everyone for trying to help! there's got to be a simple solution to this, it shouldn't be this difficult for Troy...hate this for him.
thanks mellon ... i think its all in the belt still .....

now back to trying to figure out what way to turn the timing belt tensioner maybe we turned it the wrong way and the force of the belt turned it back idk.... thanks for everyones help ......
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't read the entire thread so if this has already been covered i apoligize. but are you sure you put the trigger wheel on correct? that could be 180 degrees out
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Where are you located Troy?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 02:16 AM
Evolving Member

im in jacksonville fl ....
Old Jan 24, 2008, 02:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 20gmr
I didn't read the entire thread so if this has already been covered i apoligize. but are you sure you put the trigger wheel on correct? that could be 180 degrees out

what do u mean by trigger wheel ?

we think we had the belt actually to tight ... oops but in till we get the belt to stay in the place its started its hard to know if thats the problem or not but i think it would be
Old Jan 24, 2008, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

He means the sensor wheel on the opposite side of the cam gear on other side of the cam. It can be installed 180 out.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evoboi005
its not the intake cam sensor..the sensor only goes on one way...no i did not try to move the cam gear a few degrees in either direction
it can be put in 180 out ...

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
mivec trigger wheel 180* out of phase.
exactly what i was thinking... the cam trigger will fit if installed upside down.

what do i need to do to put this back in "phase??"
rotate it 180* and put it back in.

its either that or your timing belt is off a tooth. Even if not up top, you have to check the timing marks on the bottom.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:55 AM
Account Disabled

does anyone have a pic of that trigger wheel and or location, that might help Troy
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

on the driver side of the cams on the viii its the exhaust cam, on the ix its both cams... there is the bolt that goes into the end of the camshaft. There is a metal ring that the bolt goes thru first that has 2 tabs on it that go into the 2 notches on the camshaft. He probably has the intake one rotated 180*
Old Jan 24, 2008, 07:01 AM
Account Disabled

bigric09 that description was very good, thanks
Old Jan 24, 2008, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bigric09
on the driver side of the cams on the viii its the exhaust cam, on the ix its both cams... there is the bolt that goes into the end of the camshaft. There is a metal ring that the bolt goes thru first that has 2 tabs on it that go into the 2 notches on the camshaft. He probably has the intake one rotated 180*
only goes in way i thought thats what you where talking about thanks tho.... i know its in right its been checked and only "snaps" into place when right

but ill check it come Monday ... yes i know i have to check all the timing marks i can take the whole side of the car apart in about 30 mins now and have it down to timing belt ...everything hits its marks and thats with 3 different people looking at it .... it threw the codes again to day after redoing everything so now the car is parked till Monday because i will be at the 24 hours @ daytona all weekend .... so who knows what i will do come monday thanks for the help

Last edited by evoboi005; Jan 24, 2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

only goes in way i thought thats what you where talking about thanks tho.... i know its in right its been checked and only "snaps" into place when right

but ill check it come Monday ... yes i know i have to check all the timing marks i can take the whole side of the car apart in about 30 mins now and have it down to timing belt ...everything hits its marks and thats with 3 different people looking at it .... it threw the codes again to day after redoing everything so now the car is parked till Monday because i will be at the 24 hours @ daytona all weekend .... so who knows what i will do come monday thanks for the help
im telling you... that thing can and will go in 180 out of phase and feel exactly like it is in correctly. There really is no way to tell. That is why the whole 180* out of phase came to be common knowledge to people who have a few cam installs under their belt.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:08 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by bigric09
im telling you... that thing can and will go in 180 out of phase and feel exactly like it is in correctly. There really is no way to tell. That is why the whole 180* out of phase came to be common knowledge to people who have a few cam installs under their belt.
I think we have a few hundred under our belt.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:09 PM
Account Disabled

lol I'd say you're qualified
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

its funny you say that, because i was really close to saying those exact words and left it out figuring you'd be here shortly lol. i love when people try to tell people who know better that something is a certain way. It would almost be like me trying to tell you the layout of your own house even though i have never been over there, seen any pictures or had any part in the design. Oh well, maybe soon he'll figure out the issue.

Quick Reply: ix cams po11 code