Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

scary noises please help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scary noises please help

the other day i started my car cold and i heard what sounded like a knock. it only knocked for like 1 second though. the drive home was fine. later that night i drove the car and it didn't make any noise after starting it but when i drove it it sounded a little louder almost like a small exhaust leak but only very very little. and while sitting at a light it was making a slight scraping/squeking/squeling noise. it went away as soon as i drove it though. today i drove it again and there was no squeling noises but it did sound like theres a very small exhaust leak and when i hit bumps there is something that rattles and when the car shakes it rattles to but is not a clunking knock noise just the sound of maybe the exhaust hitting the heatshield. i dont know too much about this car so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be very helpful.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

any kind of cel??? could be an exhaust leak. the squeeling and stuff though isnt from an exhaust leak. the rattle could be exhaust parts where theyre loose and chattering.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

is there a way to check the cel's without a computer?
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Do this.

Let the car get very cold. Then open the hood and start the car. Stand there and put your ear to the car and wait for it to warm up. If you start hearing tapping noises from the intake manifold/crankcase, then you have lifter tick and need to change the oil or the lifters. This is often mistaken for exhaust leak noise because they tick very subtley and increase with engine speed (just as an exhaust leak would). If you don't hear any noise as you are warming up the car, then rev the engine a little (do it at the throttle body and not gradually but quickly). If you hear the noise then.. then it may be an exhaust leak. Other than that.. there might be something loose.

Keep in mind, exhaust leaks will seal after the car is warmed up so it's best to check for that right when you start the car up from a cold condition.

Last edited by BOOSTEZ; Jan 26, 2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

what kinda exhaust do you have?
i'd guess its just the exhaust hitting something
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

go to a local auto parts store. they usually have code readers/erasers. they usually dont charge to hook it up. if you find out the code just write it down and let me know what the code is and i can tell you exactly whats wrong with it. i have a full journal of nothing but engine codes for every make, model and year vehicle out there. i also have a code reader/eraser but its not gonna be able to do any good when you live in fl.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

i am hoping that i have lifter tick and that a heat shield is hitting the exhaust. i am going to do an oil change when i get home any recomendations on oil and filter? and btw i have a buscher tbe