Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 9 Spark Plug List, Also how to read plugs.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2008, 04:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilTechnology
I would guess these stockers have only about 8-9k on them, but they have been used with tuning meth, cams, a green, new injectors etc and haven't been changed. I think they are gapped around .024 right now.

Just thought maybe I should use the colder plugs because of my recent mods and spiking 30psi. No?
Originally Posted by Jameson_IXMR
Subscribed, I would like to know the plugs to use with all general bolt-ons and a gt35r at 93 octane + water injection. Mabye there is a chart for sparkplugs and gaps somewhere?
Both of you, 1 step colder, IKH24 densos.... gapped at .024 to .022 closer to the 2nd number though.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was about to order stock replacements and the link to both the IX RS & MR show "OE Gap .032"

http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?aaia=1432585

(I'm running catless TBE, Walbro, GM solenoid ~26psi spike...stock everything else)

Last edited by subaruwrx420; Feb 11, 2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they lied

you can measure your stock gap if you want... its much closer to .024
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Ordered...
Old Feb 17, 2008, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

I just pulled my plugs and inspected them today at 13K miles. The were the ideal light brown color, however the gap was a little off on each of them. That would be normal since the gap does widen over time. Since the recommended gap is between .020 and .024, I set mine a .022 and put them back in. My car isn't running meth, but I do run it at 22 PSI.

They would be fine at .024 as most people recommend, however I find that gapping them in the middle of the recommended range is usually a good way to go when you consider that the gap will widen over time.

One thing I haven't seen people talking about here is how the gap length effects performance. Here is my take on that issue, so please correct me if I am wrong about anything:

A bigger gap means more electrical resistance, potentially shorter spark durations and a longer-lasting plug...which is why you usually run a larger with gap copper plugs than you do with platinum or iridium. Copper plugs conduct electricity better, so a larger gap with a copper plug has similar resistance as a Platinum/Iridium plug with a smaller gap.

Ideally, and especially with turbo'd cars that rev high, you want a smaller gap which means less resistance and a reduced chance for the spark to "blow out" at high RPM (maximum spark duration). Iridium/Platinum plugs are not as conductive as copper plugs, but they resist the detrimental effects of a smaller gap much better than copper, which is why using them in our cars is preferable. Another thing to consider about gap length is that it can effect your A/F ratio. If the spark doesn't last long enough to ignite the air and fuel in the combustion chamber, it could lead to a rich condition and reduced performance.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

glad i found this post, i was about to put evo VIII BRP7es into my IX... yikes, but when i compared i noticed the reach difference
Old Feb 18, 2008, 01:04 AM

to what extent should the car be modded before it's beneficial to run colder plugs? also, any drawbacks from running 2-step colder plugs (heat range 9)?
Old Feb 18, 2008, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by volkskid
to what extent should the car be modded before it's beneficial to run colder plugs? also, any drawbacks from running 2-step colder plugs (heat range 9)?
NGK's website recommends going 1 step colder for ever 100 HP added over stock, however if you are not experiencing detonation with the stock heat range plugs, you probably don't need to go colder.

Running colder when you do not need to can result in fast plug fouling, since the plug will be too cold to burn off all of the fuel, a buildup will form on the plug in a short period of time. Obviously that would lead to reduced engine performance.

Just pull your plugs now and see what condition they are in. If they have a chipped appearance, like you see small pieces of metal missing from any part of the plug, it is a sign of detonation and you probably need to go 1 step colder.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 07:10 PM

^^ i jus had my car road tuned, running the motec pnp. car has most of the bolt on stuff so i should be getting abt 400ish crank hp. i figured i should go a step colder too but my tuner told me specifically to get the ngk racing heat range 9 plugs and these plugs cost a bomb
Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by volkskid
^^ i jus had my car road tuned, running the motec pnp. car has most of the bolt on stuff so i should be getting abt 400ish crank hp. i figured i should go a step colder too but my tuner told me specifically to get the ngk racing heat range 9 plugs and these plugs cost a bomb
I'm 333 HP / 333 TQ at the wheels, which works out to 400 and change at the crank, if you assume a 20% drivetrain loss. My car has stock injectors, a custom tune and 22 PSI boost on the stock turbo. I put about 5K miles on my car like this and my stock plugs were in perfect condition when I checked them the other day.

If your tuner is recommending plugs that are 2 steps colder, which is a pretty big change, I'd be curious as to what his reasoning is because I don't think you really need those from what you just said. I have not had any detonation issues with my car as it is now, and when I re-gapped my stock plugs to .022 it just smoothed the revs out across the whole power band.

So unless you're planning to run meth or boost levels over 28 PSI - something that would increase combustion chamber temps substatially - stick with the stock plugs. If your tuner did his job right there is no reason I can think of that you'd need colder plugs for your current stage of mods.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Mine is gapped to .026 or .028(can't remember) at the stock heat range. never had a spark blow out.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Done
THOSE PLUGS WILL NOT WORK!! THOSE ARE FOR EVO 8 ONLY. EVO 9s HAVE A LONGER REACH.

Those plugs you listed have a 19.05mm reach vs needing a 26.5mm reach.

SO I WILL REPEAT, DO NOT USE THOSE IN YOUR MOTOR!!!
Luckly I found this, thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

This thread is awesome, just what I was looking for. I have an intake, exhaust, BC at about 23psi and a fuel pump. I just bought a set of plugs from Buschur for my IX.

I'm planning on gapping at .022, does that sound accurate?
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, .022 is about right for a IX plug with a little more boost.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Apr 25, 2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

good info, I got 30K on my stockers...time for a swap

Quick Reply: Evo 9 Spark Plug List, Also how to read plugs.