Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Torco Accelerator Fuel, answer to unleaded race gas??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how about that for some HARD data? Thanks

I've got a couple friends of mine (one of them will soon be a stroke'd cobra hitting 850whp-ish to the wheel) that use this stuff too.. the next time i get tuned I'm be running this as well.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

In NM i could not get unleaded 100 octane out of the pump and I would run 1 32 oz bottle to around 1/2 tank and was able to run my 100 octane map at 26.5 psi knock free and yes my plugs turned orange but car still ran fine. This stuff is the real deal and if you cant get local race fuel its certainly better than nothing, oh and i was adding this to NM 90 octane as well.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used the product in the past.
It works good, but faults plugs faster and Sensors as well.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
If that stuff were, say, the equivalent of 130 octane fuel ... lets mix in 32oz (.25 gal) of the additive in to 7 gal (1/2 tank) of 93 octane ... you end up with 94.2 octane fuel.
Yes but you cant calculate antiknock additives on a concentration basis like mixing oxygenated or xylene fuels to pump. TEL in fuel turns pumpgas into racegas, it can be 105 oct whether it's 10%, 1%, or 0.1%. The lead coats the chamber giving it antiknock characteristics, even to some extent after the fuel is consumed and normal fuel is used again.

I would guess that the product above uses like a Mn compound that behaves similar to TEL, maybe not as potent, and provides oct to fuel equivalent to it's lable. And will eventually coat your O2 sensor even if it say's "safe for O2 sensors"
Old Feb 5, 2008, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That makes sense ... but why is it being referenced as "octane booster" instead of "anti-knock additive?" It seems that the 2 are very different.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 04:22 PM
djh
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, that is huge ... technically 236.5 octane huge. I'm sorry ... I can't believe that.
Just to stir the pot a little, cyclopentadiene has a blending RON > 200. By definition, 1ml of TEL in 1 gal. of iso-octane has a MON and RON of 101, so naive extrapolation would say pure TEL is about 3800.

Dave
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:01 PM

Yeah, that is huge ... technically 236.5 octane huge. I'm sorry ... I can't believe that.
I thought the same thing when I was first looking at it. It is not a fuel so it does not have a octane rating. It is some chemical that when mixed with fuel it raises it octane. If you want it's offical name, let me know, I can go look on my 5 gallon can.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DrivinMissDaisy
My friend is a distributer of Torco. He tested it with 10 gallons of Chevron 91 and 1 quart of Torco and it came out to 96.5 octane. He runs Torco in his 800whp Corvette, for 3 years now. He run 96 octane all the time. If it is good enough for his vette it is good enough for an Evo. It is very popular on the Corvette forums.

I used it on my STi. I loved it. DynoFlash tunned my STi and he could not believe 1 quart could do that. It does turn your plugs and tail pipe orange but it doesn't affect anything. I will be having my Evo tuned to it in 2 weeks.

Here are his test results.

He has some of the best vette vids on the net too!!!!
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:17 AM
Former Sponsor

The problem with this is not the additive it is knowing what your base fuel octane your adding everytime. At least when you buy racegas you know you are getting what your getting. It may be safer than meth although still risky. Nice to see hard facts about this though. I can get 94 octane here in MIchigan at Sunoco so this would be like 97 octane with the additive. Nice to know!
Old Feb 11, 2008, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe's_EVO8
The problem with this is not the additive it is knowing what your base fuel octane your adding everytime. At least when you buy racegas you know you are getting what your getting. It may be safer than meth although still risky. Nice to see hard facts about this though. I can get 94 octane here in MIchigan at Sunoco so this would be like 97 octane with the additive. Nice to know!
Shouldn't be an issue if you always add 10gal of gas to 1 bottle.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 06:56 AM
Former Sponsor

No the base fuel is what you buy from your gas station. It is hard to say this octane will always be consistent.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

A lot of tracks and speed shops carry Torco Race gas, which I was told is their accelerator mixed with pump gas.

Torco accelerator is very popular with 03 Cobra guys. I know for a fact that it works with the 20 degree timing/103 octane map on my supercharged mustang. Otherwise, I would have blown up a long time ago.

The stuff is definitely for real.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:06 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Any of you guys had the motor apart after using it and seen any symptoms like this?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...7&postcount=49
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

MMT orange coloring? looks more like corrosion from water (HG). At least the corrosion is less extensive where the surfaces are coated.

Another thing, alcohol is known to detonate on TEL surfaces, I would guess it's just as likely to happen with MMT additives. Just a word of caustion when running leaded fuels with methanol

Last edited by C6C6CH3vo; Feb 11, 2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Bumping this back from the dead!

I am in the process of becoming a new distributor for Torco Race gas and just wanted to hear what opinions where out there on the accelerator now. I see the last post was in 2008... have any of you guys continued to use it.

Once things are finalized on my end I hope to become a vendor here on evom so all of you will have a direct source for the products. Please PM me if you would like any info regarding Torco and their products.

Quick Reply: Torco Accelerator Fuel, answer to unleaded race gas??