Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Apexi AVC-R boost and setup problems please help.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Apexi AVC-R boost and setup problems please help.

having a little problem with my ebc here. or maybe im not. i really dont know. so here is my description of whats going on.

i have a twin scroll turbo setup which has 2 waste gates. the top ports are ''t'ed'' together and then one line runs to the boost solenoid. its connected to the ''COM'' nipple. the 2 side ports on the waste gates are again ''t'ed'' together and then one line runs to the licp nipple. then the licp nipple go's to the ''NO'' nipple on the solenoid. this is how Apexi has it on there sight and i was told buy a few others to hook it up this way as well.

the thing that reads boost pressure for the Apexi AVC-R EBC is tapped into the same line my defi boost gauge is. ''fpr line on the intake manifold''

my waste gates have EACH 1 big blue and 1 small blue spring installed. this is 22psi spring pressure in EACH waste gate.

here is my issue.
the EBC has a boost and duty% settings. at .95 boost or kg/cm2 i be leave it is called. its like bar. the avc-r does not read in psi.

so at .95 boost and duty% at 30% i am hitting 25psi of boost. according to my boost gauge ''defi d'' and my jdm map sensor. the boost reading on the AVC-R is showing 1.75 kg/cm2. why is it over shooting???

so then i was told to turn the duty% all the way down. which i did. the lowest it can go is 20% and my boost dropped to waste gate psi. ''22psi'' so then i was told to raise the boost up on the AVC-R till i reach my boost level. which is 25psi. now i can get 1.2kg/cm2 and 20%duty and im boosting 25psi.

does this sound like its working right?? i would of thought the boost would need to be 1.75ish to reach my boost levels im trying to hit. but instead its much lower and im still hitting my 25psi mark.

some help would be great. thanks alot.

Last edited by EvoDan2004; Feb 7, 2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

i have also tryed putting the side ports to the waste gates to the BOV line and then from the BOV line to the solenoid ''no'' nipple and nothing changed. still acts the same so i put it back to how i have it in my 1st post.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like it's working right to me, i had one. i used to just leave my duty cycle in learn mode

to convert kg/cm^2 to psi it's almost the same as BAR (almost)

1 kg/cm^2 = 14.233 psi

so 25psi is roughly 1.75 kg/cm^2

start at something like 1.65 and drop the duty cycle all the way down.

when the duty cycle is highlighted hit next. it should take you to a screen with vertical bars, this lets you adjust the duty cycle by RPM value. (assuming you have it set up reading the right rpm incrinments, shoot me a pm if you need help)

anywhere on that graph hit the up arrow then hit back. the duty cycle should no longer be a number. it's now in learn mode. go do a couple 3rd or 4th gear pulls, let it adjust. if the boost jumps up and down, up the duty cycle and set it in learn again.

again if you need help shoot me a pm
Old Feb 8, 2008, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

wow complicated.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LostSolVTEC
sounds like it's working right to me, i had one. i used to just leave my duty cycle in learn mode

to convert kg/cm^2 to psi it's almost the same as BAR (almost)

1 kg/cm^2 = 14.233 psi

so 25psi is roughly 1.75 kg/cm^2

start at something like 1.65 and drop the duty cycle all the way down.

when the duty cycle is highlighted hit next. it should take you to a screen with vertical bars, this lets you adjust the duty cycle by RPM value. (assuming you have it set up reading the right rpm incrinments, shoot me a pm if you need help)

anywhere on that graph hit the up arrow then hit back. the duty cycle should no longer be a number. it's now in learn mode. go do a couple 3rd or 4th gear pulls, let it adjust. if the boost jumps up and down, up the duty cycle and set it in learn again.

again if you need help shoot me a pm

the problem is if i start it at 20% duty and set the boost at 1.65kg/cm2 i over boost. when i 1st started i set it at 1.7kg/cm2 and the car hit 29/30 psi. so i lowered it till i hit 25psi and the avc-r was showing .95kg/cm2. but when i drove it it was over shooting its settings to 1.75kg/cm2.

lol i love electronics
Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

anyone else with info
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

well i dont know what i did. but now its working as i thought it should. its set at 1.75kg/cm2 and 25% duty. and im holding 25psi solid to and past redline. now to go figure out what i did.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

lol oh man i'll have to think for a bit back when i had mine. if you have the rpm points set right it should work but it seems like you got it sorted
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LostSolVTEC
lol oh man i'll have to think for a bit back when i had mine. if you have the rpm points set right it should work but it seems like you got it sorted
i dont have any rpm points set. nothing is setup except boost and duty. and of course to run with a 4 cylinder and stuff like that. the other features i need to learn though.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

haha sorry man, im still learning mine & im just simply hooked up on a stock turbo. Good Luck
Old Feb 8, 2008, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turbosmurf02
haha sorry man, im still learning mine & im just simply hooked up on a stock turbo. Good Luck

well lets work togeather and learn this frigen thing. granted there hooked up different from ur car to mine but the functionality should be the same no?? i ant got a clue. HHA
Old Feb 8, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

I can say THANKYOU for this thread, because i was still unfamiliar how to start the "Learn" mode.

Im tuned for 23psi (1.6bar) so ive set that and raised my duty cycle per RPM value.

My car's just running rich so its jerking a little around 5500. Time for datalogging i guess. I am running larger injectors too (720s!). I just need a green & retune lol
Old Feb 8, 2008, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the AVCR is very easy to setup but requires you to know how to use it.

Just to make sure, you said your wastegate boost is 22psi? So with the AVCR set to OFF, what boost do you see when you go full throttle? If it does hit 22psi then you have the hoses hooked up correct and the wastegates are working fine. If it's overshooting then you have it routed wrong or you have boost creep from your wastegate runners being off.

If you hit 22psi with it off then turn it back to setting A and set the AVCR target boost to whatever you want it to hit. If you want to run 25psi then set it to 1.75 bar and turn the duty way down. Then do a pull and if you don't hit the target boost, up the duty a bit. You have to just keep upping the duty slowly until it hits the target boost and doesn't overshoot or spike around. Once you have it set you can up the duty in the lower rpm's to help with spool and slowly taper it down to your set duty. Also I would turn off learning, it's in the settings section, just put X's in all the areas. Once you get the boost set up in a gear like 4th gear you can start working on the gear based boost.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

so let me get this right. if i want to adjust duty% to get faster spool i go to the duty and boost settings and click next on the duty. it brings me to a rpm setting. i can increase the duty per every 500rpm i be leave.

so how would i do this. lets say i want to run 25psi. lets say im hitting full boost at 4500rpm. so would my settings look like this

70%duty@3000
70%duty@3500
70%duty@4000
70%duty@4500
25%duty@5000 and on

right now my settings are boost 1.75kg/cm2 and my duty is at 25%

any help to understand this would be great.

Quick Reply: Apexi AVC-R boost and setup problems please help.