Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another Clutch Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2008, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another Clutch Thread

Yes another one. Just not enough info for me and the search is clouded with so many worthless posts. My clutch is completely fried. Looking to replace it. Now I don't have a crazy budget so all you guys who are gonna come on here and say excedy twin or nothing then this is time for you to leave. I am afraid to choose any ACT clutch do to lock out since I probably going to rev to 8k maybe a little more. Gotta take some abuse and 450 torque. I probably have an $800 limit.

I drove my friends meth car and he had the excedy stage 1. He has abused that thing and has more power than I do. I see that everyone who has that clutch completely hates it and it last about 100 miles. So now I am asking about the excedy stage 2. I barely see anybody running it and see nothing in the search about how it holds up. Anybody with one please chime in.

Next are the Fidanza clutch's. Anybody use them yet? It says on Buschurs site that it is a little harsher engagement but how harsh. I want my shifting pretty smooth. I would ask David but getting an honest answer out of a vendor is never going to happen. Any product they sell will always be the best. This goes for any vendor and not just singling out Buschur.

Any other recommendations will be great. Would like to hear from you meth guys or anybody with nice numbers and who is revving near 8k.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:31 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you plan on launching the car a lot? If not, I HIGHLY recommend a Southbend OFE, they can hold tons and tons of torque and are feather light on the left foot. Price is in your budget as well. Search on here for my install/review (just search for southbend).
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lockout issues with ACT clutches are easily fixed. solution: either front motor mount or engine damper (or both). i've got 500whp on meth, rev to 7800 on the 35r, no shifting problems at all. ACT heavy duty clutch with 45,000 miles on it. holds strong and sense i don't sell parts or get any discounts on any of them i'm not biased towards anything.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

ACT heavy duty here. think i have like 12,000 miles on mine. no lockout ever. think it holds 495ft/lbs. the xtreme holds like 510ft/lbs i think
Old Feb 12, 2008, 01:16 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have the ACT HDSS Street Disc clutch - only 1000 miles. So far I haven't had any of the lock out issues that I have read so much about, but I do have the Buschur motor mounts which probably helps as far as gear lock out is concerned. 8000 RPM rev limit. Only very slightly more pedal pressure (hardly notice it) and it grabs much harder than the stock clutch.

Dan (drb)
Old Feb 12, 2008, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

I wont put motor mounts on my car. Too many noises.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:20 PM
Former Sponsor

it only takes 1 motor mount, and you wont get any more noises
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ACT HDSS user here....with stock resurfaced flywheel....only 700+ miles on the ACT clutch....loving it so far...no launches as I just passed the break-in period.... It was $650 to install + the resurfacing of my flywheel....unless you do it yourself(install that is)....clutch was $589 I believe?

Good luck picking one out!
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

I am doing the install myself. Also I am going to be putting on the gruppe-s flywheel. I have used it before on my 05 and it felt great. I was thinking about the Fidanza 3.2 but it is hard to tell how good it is since it is new and people don't have a lot of miles on them yet.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
it only takes 1 motor mount, and you wont get any more noises
A front motor mount makes your entire dash rattle. I don't want my car to feel any cheaper.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For a good ACT Clutch set-up, contact TTP: http://www.ttp-engineering.com/

There are alot of Locals that use his ACT Spec Clutch and are really happy with that set-up. No lock outs. That is why I recommend it.

I use the Full Ceramic Tilton, but it is expenssive.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 04AWDTURBOEVO
For a good ACT Clutch set-up, contact TTP: http://www.ttp-engineering.com/

There are alot of Locals that use his ACT Spec Clutch and are really happy with that set-up. No lock outs. That is why I recommend it.

I use the Full Ceramic Tilton, but it is expenssive.
I hope you didn't just recommend TTP to me. Also he doesn't have his spec clutch. He doesn't make parts. He slaps his name on ****. Which clutch is the "ACT TTP" clutch?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:02 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We also sell the Fidanza 3.2 but according to RevMoto a vendor who sells a product will try and sell it, regardless of its performance.

That is not how WE work. We have tested the Fidanza 3.2 and it performed horribly on more than one Evo. The cerametallic pads broke apart and fused with the flywheel. Gets a thumbsdown in our book.

Warrtalon had tested the EXEDY 4 puck cerametallic unit and he liked it at first. In my opinion, it exhibits too much 1st gear chatter for someone who does not want vibrations from a stiff engine mount.

Then there is an aforementioned unit we stock as our #1 singledisc unit in cerametallic form which has worked well on many track and street Evo's.
The ACT SS street organic disc in our opinion is too heavy and spongy to shift cleanly at 8000rpms.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

All scott did was take the XT pressure plate and add that with the HD disc.

Last edited by RevMoto; Feb 12, 2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
We also sell the Fidanza 3.2 but according to RevMoto a vendor who sells a product will try and sell it, regardless of its performance.

That is not how WE work. We have tested the Fidanza 3.2 and it performed horribly on more than one Evo. The cerametallic pads broke apart and fused with the flywheel. Gets a thumbsdown in our book.

Warrtalon had tested the EXEDY 4 puck cerametallic unit and he liked it at first. In my opinion, it exhibits too much 1st gear chatter for someone who does not want vibrations from a stiff engine mount.

Then there is an aforementioned unit we stock as our #1 singledisc unit in cerametallic form which has worked well on many track and street Evo's.
The ACT SS street organic disc in our opinion is too heavy and spongy to shift cleanly at 8000rpms.
You recommend that disc though. It your TTP spec clutch. Any puck clutch isn't gonna shift as smooth. I had an ACT 6 puck in my 05 but that tranny shifted like crap so I never got a good idea of what it felt like before I got rid of it.

Quick Reply: Another Clutch Thread