Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

random cylinder misfire problems

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2008, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
random cylinder misfire problems

A little backround on my car! As far as motor upgrades, i havent done much. Hallman boost controller. Guages etc. Full greddy exhaust Oil overflow kit. intake filter, AMS short Batt.

Here are my symptoms.

My car will start "shuddering" in the middle of a drive and i wont be able to accelerate. Sometimes it happeneds when im about to hit full boost. The only way to get out of it is to release the gas pedal and let the revs go below to 3,000 rpm or somewhere near that. I checked the error codes and it says there is a "Random Cylinder Misfire" I'm pretty sure they are both related together. It was only happening once in a while but now it's happening more often than usual. Is there anything that could be causing this problem? Im not sure if its ignition, emmision or initernal.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Let me take a wild guess at your Evo year...2003?
Old Feb 15, 2008, 03:52 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by j_barcarse
A little backround on my car! As far as motor upgrades, i havent done much. Hallman boost controller. Guages etc. Full greddy exhaust Oil overflow kit. intake filter, AMS short Batt.

Here are my symptoms.

My car will start "shuddering" in the middle of a drive and i wont be able to accelerate. Sometimes it happeneds when im about to hit full boost. The only way to get out of it is to release the gas pedal and let the revs go below to 3,000 rpm or somewhere near that. I checked the error codes and it says there is a "Random Cylinder Misfire" I'm pretty sure they are both related together. It was only happening once in a while but now it's happening more often than usual. Is there anything that could be causing this problem? Im not sure if its ignition, emmision or initernal.
That would be the 1st place to look and the spark plugs would be the 1st thing that I would be checking.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

yea

i have a 2003 ....y?
Old Feb 15, 2008, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

i found someone talking about it onlne, check the spark plug gap. Is it .24/.25?? Just to make sure
Old Feb 15, 2008, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

i seem to recall, the first things i did to fix it was to replace to spark plugs, it would fix the problem but only temporarily. Then it would come back again. How often should I be replacing them? ir should I just keep maintaining the gap?
Old Feb 15, 2008, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Well the stock plugs are supposed to last 60K but that isn't always the case. Are they OEM spec and gapped correctly?

There is a Mitsu dealer flash to fix the problem if it is a P0300 code. It isn't an actual misfire, but the ECU treats it as one.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 05:13 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Burklow
Well the stock plugs are supposed to last 60K but that isn't always the case. Are they OEM spec and gapped correctly?

There is a Mitsu dealer flash to fix the problem if it is a P0300 code. It isn't an actual misfire, but the ECU treats it as one.
What he is describing in 1st post is most definetly a Misfire and the code was set due to that fact. A reflash will not make his misfire go away.1st the mechanical issue must be corrected before a reflash needs to even be thought of.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

or you can get a c-reader plug it in your obd2 port and erase the code temporarily.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
On a stock or mildly modified car with a quiet clutch this isn't an engine problem but a transmission problem. The fix is to have the transmission rebuilt to tighter specs. The transmissions are bad from the factory but it varies as to how long it takes to develop enough slack to set the code.

Not all Creaders work this way, but if you find the right one, plugging it into the scan port will prevent any codes from being set. It is a band aid solution but it sometimes works.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:47 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by j_barcarse

Here are my symptoms.

Clearing the codes is going to do NOTHING for the mechanical issues at hand.You guys are giving the original poster BAD info as the whole reason the Service Engine Light is coming on at this point is due to the MUTIPLE MISFIRES that the ecu is detecting due to a MECHANICAL ISSUE.Why is that so hard to understand as it is posted in the very 1st post and again above in BOLD
Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turboDan
Clearing the codes is going to do NOTHING for the mechanical issues at hand.You guys are giving the original poster BAD info as the whole reason the Service Engine Light is coming on at this point is due to the MUTIPLE MISFIRES that the ecu is detecting due to a MECHANICAL ISSUE.Why is that so hard to understand as it is posted in the very 1st post and again above in BOLD
The loose transmission starts jerking the crank around and since the ECU is monitoring and timing the crank sensor and since multiple misfires will cause the crank speed to change too, the ECU sets a P0300 code and goes into limp mode. It usually happens after the car has been on the road awhile and the gear oil in the transmission is throughly warmed.

Mitsu has put out a couple of reflashes in an effort to fix the problem without recalling the transmissions.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks!

Thanks guys! I will definitely take all these into consideration, I'm going to get new plugs (I usually get the copper ones form AMS) and take my car in for a reflash. This reflash, is it a recall type reflash where they will do it for free? Or is there an actual charge for this procedure?

I have a code reader that will erase the codes so Im not really worried about it. Another thing is that it doesnt turn on my check engine light...... when i use the scanner, it'll tell me.

Oh BTW I have the Exedy stage 2 clutch 3 puck! If that makes any differance.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

I had the reflash done under warranty and it was free then. So, dunno. I still got the code after the reflash.

And, yeah, some clutches make the problem worse. BTW, if the CEL isn't coming on are you sure the bulb isn't burned out or maybe it has been removed?
Old Feb 18, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

im sure the light works.... i had the light come on recently for over boosting.

I changed the spark plugs. but they were gapped at .27 is that right? i heard they were at .24/.25

I have the Exedy Stage 2 three puck clutch. Do you think its necessary to adjust the clutch pedal?

Im going to try to take my car to mitsu this week.. hopefully the flash fixes it.

Quick Reply: random cylinder misfire problems