Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS VSR install (56k warning)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2008, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMS VSR install (56k warning)

My weekend project, enjoy

Story Time

So a good friend of mine told me to check out a thread regarding magnus manifolds on the evo, so I did and I found quite the confrontation going on between the two parties. Pretty much everyone in the mitsu community were up in arms about the legitmacy of the magnus manifold. I want to get this out of the way right now. I HAVE NEVER BEEN A NUT SWINGER, and I put parts on my car that "I" think are good or appropriate for my application.
I have used magnus products for a very long time, and on my 1g I continue to use it, as it has made good power for me, and I intend to continue using it.
Now on to the evo, it is a different story, due to better head design I believe that the stock intake manifold and TB is the way to go if you are that type of person that likes down low torque and nice mid range power. I personally prefer a little more on the top end so I have always been partial to short runner type manifolds.

here is a pic of the magnus on my car that I have used for over a year and half with no problems whatsoever.

However when I first placed the magnus on my car , I noticed no change in afr values in the higher rpm ranges. I thought this was strange, but figured that I had not tuned the car properly.

Anyway, after reading all the information that came available in the last month on the various intake manifolds, like the Driven Innovations, HKS kansai, Hypertune, JMfab, stock ported, AMS vsr, and a few others, I decided that the ams vsr was the one for me.

what has drawn me to the vsr is, larger plenum, cnc velocity stacks, 6 ports for vacuum, a custom dipstick and bracket and all the hardware required for an install. One draw back to the manifold is that it has no provisions for the stock map sensor (unlike the magnus which had the adapter welded into the plenum). I purchased one of ams map sensor adapters along with the some fitting for my vacuum block.

So it was time to install this thing and I figured it would take me about 6 to 7 hours to do.
On with the pics

look at these velocity stacks absolutely beautiful

In this picture I wanted to show the stock dipstick that I had to bend previously so that the magnus would clear it. Also you can see the provisions for the stock map sensor. I wish the ams vsr had this provision

So I began ripping everything off and I got the magnus off. here she is in all her glory with the agency fuel rail with 72# seimen deka injectors

here is a little side by side comparison of the vsr and the magnus, the plenum size difference is just astounding.

so everything is going well ripping things off and making room for the new toy
without the manifold look at those dirty ports yuck

here is the nice custom dipstick tube that ams provides with their manifold

So I place the fuel rail on the vsr, and try to place it on the head, thats when the fun started. The damn thing would not fit, Confused, I drank another guiness and looked at the situation again... ahhh huh I HAD to remove the two studs on the head, so that I could get the clearance, to fit the manifold on the head. The plenum is so big that if you did not remove the studs on the head, the manifold would hit the abs unit

After this little dilemma, I rerouted by throttle cable behind the firewall and around the abs unit

look at that rusty *** abs unit

I began to attach all my sensors, cables, vacuum lines and it was quite tedious because there is absolutely no room the get your hand in between the firewall and the manifold
Its getting there

The vacuum block inplace

what a mess look at my poor car in pieces

more stuff attached now

I had to weld on a small piece of pipe to my IC pipes because the VSR sits a little furthur back than the magnus.
but here is the finished product

a little side of shot of the evo and the dsm (janet)

and the red car for good measure I have not forgotten about her . I shall update that log soon

Oh I did buy a custom 3 inch stainless intercooler pipe from ets. It is a really nice piece, I will have to place a maf saddle and twin Tial BOVs because I want to test a theory of different spring rates in a twin BOV set up

So how does the car feel...?
By the good ol butt dyno, it is awesome, even my girlfriend mentioned how much "smoother" the car feels. I did have to add a bunch of fuel up top with my maf calibrater, so I know for a fact that this manifold is going to make some power. I shall be setting up an appointment with AMS or buschur (I have not decided), sometime this spring so that I can maximize this new and wonderful piece that AMS has created.

Hope you enjoyed my little weekend project.
have a good one everyone
Old Feb 25, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice work and write up bro!!!

I love these reads!!
Old Feb 25, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice post!

I presume that is the old design Magnus?

I use the newer race version Magnus and will provide a write up of this same type of swap except I chose the HKS inlet. I'm using Autronic so am on speed density and will post logs of AFR before and after.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

what is this theory of different springs running two tial BOV's?
Old Feb 25, 2008, 08:54 AM
Former Sponsor

nice write up, i don't agree with some things that were said, but that is for a different thread, i am more interested in seeing more pics of the 1g!!
Old Feb 25, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
crcain --- Yes it is the old version i.e no velocity stacks or burst disc, with a stock size TB opening. Marcos race version is very nice, I have never tested though (you speak of the one that has the conical type plenum right ?)

Tialsport-- Correct me if I am wrong, but my idea was to run two Tial BOVs (I have only one on the car currently) . Each BOV would have a different spring rate in it , One with a stiff spring and one with a slightly softer spring). In theory ( yes I had a dream about this) The softer spring would allow BOV 1 to go off at lighter load conditions or when there was more vacuum. All this in conjuction with BOV #2 that has the stiffer spring, would go off after a WOT 25 -30 psi blast... Am I completely off base with this ?

Inneedoff --What don't you agree with. We can discuss in Pm's If you like... I do not want to turn this into a magnus bashing fest because I have nothing but good things to say about marco and his products, I just think that his OLD manifold design did not work very well with MY evo, or maybe its the fact that I am not very good with this new school (ecuflash) type tuning. I choose to believe the later maybe .
Pictures of the 1g at your request.

Last edited by antilag_200; Feb 25, 2008 at 11:31 AM.