Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Installed: Buschur Racing Mustache bar and Side supports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2008, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Installed: Buschur Racing Mustache bar and Side supports

SO, I have come to the conclusion that I drive a PIG everyday. Out of shear curiosity, I decided to weigh my evo. Bad IDEA.

I went to the local scrap yard and pulled the car on the scales. The GF was with me and there was about a quarter tank of gas in it . The weight was 3540 Ibs ... HOLY ****, I was dissappointed,

the calculations were such, I weigh 160 Ibs (yes I am an old fat *** ), the old lady weighs 113, and 1/4 tank of gas using 6.5 Ibs per gallon was right around 25 pounds. Putting the weight of the evo, with no gas in it and by itself, to weigh 3247 Ibs..(this is a full weight none gutted and the spare tire is still there).

So I have now begun my process of making the car lighter, without gutting it or cutting it up. The only solution is to install parts that are lighter than the factory pieces. Target weight for the vehicle is 3100 pounds . so I have about 150 pounds to go.

I ordered up a couple pieces from buschur racing which I really liked.
The mustache bar and the rear differential supports, the Bar is made of chromoly and the side supports are made out of billet aluminum. Together, they replace the factory equipment and save you 18 pounds, not to mention the benefit of knowing that your rear end will NOT MOVE as all the bushings are now solid.
here is a pic of these bad boys
Name:  DSC00618.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  134.8 KB

so I was fortunate enough to do this little venture on the lift, Jeremy my buddy was there to help as always.
Here is the rear end of the car, and you can see the stock mustache bar attached to the subframe
Name:  DSC00616.jpg
Size:  113.1 KB
I had to spray the bolts down for the sway bar brackets and the mustache bar bolts, as they would need to be moved out of the way inorder to lower the pumpkin.
Name:  DSC00617.jpg
Size:  81.4 KB
here is a pic of the stock cast side supports
Name:  DSC00619.jpg
Size:  80.3 KB
a back view of the mustache bar
Name:  DSC00620.jpg
Size:  86.9 KB
So begin by unbolting the sway bar brackets and lower it down
Name:  DSC00621.jpg
Size:  53.3 KB
now start by undoing the mustache bar bolts that hold it to the subframe
Name:  DSC00622.jpg
Size:  106.4 KB
you will have to remove the 3 bolts that hold the bar to the pumpkin itself
drop the subframe by unbolting all the subframe bolts (8 in total)
Name:  DSC00625.jpg
Size:  99.4 KB
and wiggle the stock cast mustache bar out
Name:  DSC00624.jpg
Size:  139.5 KB
wow check out the difference and let me tell you that stock bar is heavy as hell

Place the tranny jack under the pumpkin and begin unbolting the diff side supports
Name:  DSC00626.jpg
Size:  64.0 KB
Name:  DSC00627.jpg
Size:  146.2 KB

Now bolt on the side supports and the mustache bar, It is alot easier to keep all the bolts loose because the tolerances are really tight in there
I had to bang on the musctache bar to get in to seat properly kind of made me mad because I chipped some of the powder coat, but the rest of the pics are pretty self explanatory so here you go
Name:  DSC00628.jpg
Size:  67.9 KB
Name:  DSC00629.jpg
Size:  89.2 KB
Name:  DSC00630.jpg
Size:  95.2 KB
Name:  DSC00631.jpg
Size:  53.2 KB
Name:  DSC00632.jpg
Size:  63.8 KB
Name:  DSC00633.jpg
Size:  82.5 KB

How does the car feel?
I can not feel any noticeable increase in vibrations, however on a nice wot spurt you do get that tingly sensation All in all a great piece from buschur racing and a nice way to reduce some weight .

later everyone and have a great night.

Last edited by antilag_200; Feb 27, 2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice man!!! I need those side mounts
Old Jun 23, 2008, 06:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Nice writeup.. Smart move doing the side supports at the same time..
Old Jun 23, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i got the b/r side diff mounts. havent installed them yet but they sure look nice.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

thanks guys, to be honest if I had to do this on the ground, it would be a lot tougher. I did however have a question for those who have installed the side supports. when I tightened everything up, it looked like the side support was not completely flush ( its almost like you need to add the stock upper bushing in there as a spacer. I however did not place that stock bushing in there, as I thought it would change the geometry in the back. Maybe dave will chime in .

Now I need to find some other weight saving items that won't break the bank
Old Jun 23, 2008, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by antilag_200
thanks guys, to be honest if I had to do this on the ground, it would be a lot tougher. I did however have a question for those who have installed the side supports. when I tightened everything up, it looked like the side support was not completely flush ( its almost like you need to add the stock upper bushing in there as a spacer. I however did not place that stock bushing in there, as I thought it would change the geometry in the back. Maybe dave will chime in .

front cross member..... 6 or 7 lbs savings. and then u can do the freebee eight savings...
Old Jun 23, 2008, 06:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by vwjeff
Nice man!!! I need those side mounts
I have them if BR happens to be backordered..
Old Jun 23, 2008, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

o and the new devo drive shaft. 13lbs ROTATIONAL weight savings. 14.5 lbs total savings for 550.00
Old Jun 23, 2008, 06:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Im 99% sure we did not add the stock bushing in there..
Old Jun 23, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
I have them if BR happens to be backordered..
I will keep that in mind Mikey
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So does this take away the "clunk" you get in the rear end when shifting fast?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

evodan ---- I have the AMS front cross member bar already in the car, so Now I will concentrate on some of the other freebie weight saving . I have been eye balling that devo shaft, however my vehicle is a DD so I can't afford to have any down time, for when I send my stock shaft in. Unless they send you a shaft first.

Mike@AwdMotorsports -- that is good to know that you did not reuse the stock upper bushing, it just looks like my side support is "cocked" just a little bit, maybe like 1 mm or so .

dbsears, --- I never had a "clunk" before I installed these pieces, I think you maybe have a dead carrier bearing or something .
Old Jun 24, 2008, 04:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
evodan ---- I have the AMS front cross member bar already in the car, so Now I will concentrate on some of the other freebie weight saving . I have been eye balling that devo shaft, however my vehicle is a DD so I can't afford to have any down time, for when I send my stock shaft in. Unless they send you a shaft first.

Mike@AwdMotorsports -- that is good to know that you did not reuse the stock upper bushing, it just looks like my side support is "cocked" just a little bit, maybe like 1 mm or so .

dbsears, --- I never had a "clunk" before I installed these pieces, I think you maybe have a dead carrier bearing or something .
It's my understanding that Devo will send you a drive shaft first and upon return of your stock unit a $350 core charge will be refunded.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

you can pay devo 950 and they will send you there DS. then when they get yours they will refund you 300 or 350 i cant remember. or you will have to send them your DS and pay 550 and wait a few days.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

evodan--- thank you for the information, I will keep that in mind, I await your review of the driveshaft when you get it. its either a driveshaft or money towards finishing my wooden floors in my living room. decisions decisions

Quick Reply: Installed: Buschur Racing Mustache bar and Side supports