Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Hole thru firewall for boost gauge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2003, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hole thru firewall for boost gauge

I've been looking very hard for a hole through the firewall to bring a line for a mechanical boost gauge. Cant seem to find it.......

"Why does everyone miss the nice open hole right under the steering wheel? There's a hole with like 1 line running through it and it comes out right to the right of the intake manifold. Plenty of room to run stuff through it."

Does someone have a picture to show where the hole is. Thanx in advance.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

I never found this hole either. I just drilled myself a nice little hole and ran the hose through it. Voila, done in 30 seconds.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 05:09 PM

Mayhem: Where did you drill the hole at?
Old Aug 2, 2003, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Pretty much the only spot I could fit my drill into. It was right next to the Brake Master Cylinder. I drilled from the engine side into the cab. I had to take the FSTB off to help getter better positioning. I had to pull back that insulator stuff on the firewall too. Finding a spot to drill was the hardest part of the entire install. The whole was directly to the left of the master cylinder (if you are facing it from the front of the car.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

pics please!
Old Aug 2, 2003, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

What about the hole with the rubber plug in it on the passenger side? It's WAY over there & kind of hard to see/reach, but that's where I ran my line. I popped out the rubber plug & drilled a hole in it.
Old Aug 3, 2003, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I just poked a hole through the huge rubber cover on the passenger side, under the dash, where all the ECU wires go through.

I'm pretty sure the stock engine can handle 24psi, given the right gas and conditions.
Old Aug 3, 2003, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

I routed mine through the passenger side fender to the big plug there (like the dealer installs do); although I did consider using the firewall hole on the passenger side near the fender.

Interestingly, my car has a small (1/2" or so) plug on the firewall near the passengers side fender up top, but on another Evo the same spot had a plug that was 2" x 3" or so. In both cases the plug was unused.
Old Aug 3, 2003, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

if the fire wall is the same on the evo and the us lancer there is a hole on the passenger side way up in the corner behind the strut tower
Old Aug 4, 2003, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

Well I sure wish I would have known about this plugged hole on the passenger side before I drilled that hole.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
About the grommet on the passenger side, below the far corner of the strut tower...
How do you pop that grommet out? I can't seem to get tools to go way over there. I can get my hand to reach there, but its too well mounted in there. There's no way I can reach it from the inside of the car either.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

i found out about that plug after i drilled too
Old Aug 4, 2003, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

When I routed my cables I actually started from inside the passenger area and ran the wires and vaccum line out into the engine bay. Less chance of dragging misc. engine bay goo into the interior that way.

I can't tell you how to reach that firewall grommet from inside; as I said earlier I ran my lines out past the A pillar into the fender well first, and then up to the passenger side engine bay ground area. The engine bay and fenderwell have a small opening there. To get the lines to route down the fender (and pull them in) I had to losen the plastic fender well liner. Once it was loose I just flexed out of the way it a bit when I needed some room to work.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

There's a hole on the right side of the firewall, near the strut tower brace. My installer will post pics tomorrow afternoon to document the installation of a Defi boost gauge in my EVO.

Thumbs up to AZP in Tri-State
Old Aug 4, 2003, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Thoe99
About the grommet on the passenger side, below the far corner of the strut tower...
How do you pop that grommet out? I can't seem to get tools to go way over there. I can get my hand to reach there, but its too well mounted in there. There's no way I can reach it from the inside of the car either.
I pryed it out with a really short screwdriver. It doesn't really take that much force. Took me longer to recover the plug after it flew out than it did to pry it out.

Quick Reply: Hole thru firewall for boost gauge