Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Beginning my engine build by Ron at Axis Power Tuning

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beginning my engine build by Ron at Axis Power Tuning

Ok well it's RAW performance now. Anyways, Ron is a great guy and he builds some of the best Built-Race Subaru engines in the USA, just look around on Nasioc if you haven't heard of him. Plus he has built an evo or two in his day and I can get this done locally so that's awesome.

The problem is I have been getting **** idle for a while now and I found that I had compression in one cylinder that is down the tubes and dropping. So instead of waste my money of a refresh with stock parts, I am just going to go all out as long as my funds stay in shape.

Summary of the work being done:
-Pauter rods
-CP pistons with moly side coating
-Cosworth main and rod bearings
-ARP headstud kit
-ARP main stud kit
-Race Balance shaft elimination kit from AMS
-Bore/hone/surface the block
-Balance the assembly
-ACT XTSS clutch since I'm still on my stocker at 54k miles with plans to upgrade turbos soon(hta 35r I hope)
-Supertech dual springs and retainers
-Have the head cleaned, surfaced, and a new 3 angle valvejob performed on it
-obviously new gaskets and misc things like that for the re-assembly

silver lining to a failing motor
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Have you weighed the options of having someone like Buschur Racing build you one of their proven motors instead of being a guinea pig for Ron?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by SPIN2GST
Have you weighed the options of having someone like Buschur Racing build you one of their proven motors instead of being a guinea pig for Ron?
No offense to Buschur, AMS or anyone else, but there are some very accomplished engine builders who don't necessarily share the spotlight with these shops. Sure, Caveat Emptor to anyone who tries something different but there are good, less-known options out there.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

No offense taken.

However I wouldn't trust Axis with a Subaru motor and especially not with my 4G

Last edited by SPIN2GST; Mar 26, 2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, and one of their built motors are going to cost me a decent amount more. This isn't exactly Ron's first time to the rodeo either with an Evo so I'm not too worried. Plus AMS and Buschur are hundreds of miles away, and Ron is in town and stands behind all his work so I have that peace of mind.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:38 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No offense taken.

However I wouldn't trust Axis with a Subaru motor and especially not with my 4G

Yummy.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tvor
and Ron is in town and stands behind all his work so I have that peace of mind.
Ron's words - What's that....you think the oil pressure is low?? Oh you're fine....run it.

results pictured above.....

Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SloRice
Ron's words - What's that....you think the oil pressure is low?? Oh you're fine....run it.

results pictured above.....

:lol when did oil pressure ever become important?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

ya i was *** ****ed with no lube,on my surau engine build with him.
Evolving Member

Alright, so since I'm not terribly interested in this becoming a pissing match, could you create your own thread if you feel the need for one?

I trust Ron and since that is most likely less than half of the story to that failure, I'm not worried about it. Seeing as he turns out some of the best built motors in the country I think his body of work speaks for itself.

Also since Ron isn't on here to my knowledge to defend himself it will be pretty easy to make him look bad, not a very fair or credible argument if you ask me.

My $0.02
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
That bearing looks like it has seen better days...

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Mar 26, 2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pbevo12
ya i was *** ****ed with no lube,on my surau engine build with him.

^^What motor did he build for you and what failed?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

I'm DEFINATELY not trying to turn this into a pissing match. But you have 2 people in the last 10 minutes say their Axis motor took a **** on them. I'd be a little nervous about that.

Yes, there are two sides of the story. My side says it was a poor build and the clearances were to loose causing a drop in oil pressure which allowed the bearing to spin. My side includes Tim Bailey (professional Subaru tuner), David Buschur (I’m sure you guys know of him) and an unnamed engineer for Wiseco pistons. Ron’s side says detonation.

It’s a “he said, she said” story and I got stuck with a motor that spun a rod bearing in 2500 miles and the bill. Yup, Ron stands behind his product alright….

Good luck with Ron, hope the motor lasts. I’ve chosen to spend a couple extra bucks and have an EVO performance shop build my Evo.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SloRice
I'm DEFINATELY not trying to turn this into a pissing match. But you have 2 people in the last 10 minutes say their Axis motor took a **** on them. I'd be a little nervous about that.

Yes, there are two sides of the story. My side says it was a poor build and the clearances were to loose causing a drop in oil pressure which allowed the bearing to spin. My side includes Tim Bailey (professional Subaru tuner), David Buschur (I’m sure you guys know of him) and an unnamed engineer for Wiseco pistons. Ron’s side says detonation.

It’s a “he said, she said” story and I got stuck with a motor that spun a rod bearing in 2500 miles and the bill. Yup, Ron stands behind his product alright….

Good luck with Ron, hope the motor lasts. I’ve chosen to spend a couple extra bucks and have an EVO performance shop build my Evo.
Understandable. This was on a subaru engine I assume? 2500 miles seems like it was just out of the break-in period, right? Just wondering how it was broken in and what event caused the low pressure, if any.

It would be great to have buschur or AMS build my car, the problem arises when I have to drive 300 miles(at least) to get to one of those shops. I know of many good stories coming from Ron as well so it's sort of a pro and con debate for me. With the Cons of using another shop far outweighing the Pros.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tvor
Yes, and one of their built motors are going to cost me a decent amount more. This isn't exactly Ron's first time to the rodeo either with an Evo so I'm not too worried. Plus AMS and Buschur are hundreds of miles away, and Ron is in town and stands behind all his work so I have that peace of mind.
A motor build cost isnt like buying shoes and paying for a name. Its paying for quality and YEARS of knowledge with that engine. Im not saying anything bad about the gentleman who built your engine because i personally do not know him or his work I have only seen the aftermath and have heard stories.

As for "costing a decent amount more" that falls into the category with the old saying of "You get what you pay for".

The mileage to get the car here isnt an issue.....We have customers send us cars from all over the WORLD not just the US. For example just yesterday we had a customer drop his car off for work from Texas when it leaves the shop here it is going back with him to Finland.

For those who do not have the time to drive or for the cars that are immobile we do offer a door to door transportation company that is very trustworthy. They take very good care of the cars they haul.

If doing a motor or sending your car here is something you would like to further discuss or if you have any questions please feel free to call me here at the shop, email me or pm me. I will be glad to help.

Quick Reply: Beginning my engine build by Ron at Axis Power Tuning